02/02/07: Ottawa: Scotiabank Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

canes67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by canes67 »

We had a great time at the show. Highlights for me were Fiddler's, Grace Too, hearing Wheat Kings for the first time in 9 years, Ocean, 3 pistols.

Gord was especially animated, but I've never sat that close before, so I don't know if it was him, or that I could see him in more detail. He's always entertaining, but things got pretty weird at times. During 100th, you got the feeling like the band was starting to wonder how long it was going to be before they got to finish the song.

First time getting presale tickets for me, it was a treat to get to sit so close. We thought the crowd was good, but it was noticeable how much of the upper bowl was empty. Suprised to see only 9000 people there (if the Sun article was correct).

My camera is out-dated, so only a couple of my pics were not blurry, I posted them on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54703456@N00/
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

FRIGGING TITANIC.

That's all I've got to say about that. Frigging titanic show--great setlist, amazing crowd (felt nice to stand unmolested!), "Fiddler's Green", "Like a Rolling Stone" (which was brilliant, btw)...yet another classic Hip show in our nation's capital. And the Leafs followed it up with a great game last night! What a weekend it's been; can't wait for the ACC.

Steve
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

colinjardine wrote:Thanks for the info Chris. I see there is a torrent up now. I'll start to download and seed it too.
The version that is on the tracker now, is not from the guy(s) you saw...
puckstopper
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by puckstopper »

While I realy dug the set list, and Gord's amazing performance in particular, I was somewhat dissapointed when I left. First of all I found the sound from my position on the floor to be a little off. Wasn't loud enough in my opinion. I've never been to a concert in Ottawa before, but the crowd seemed kinda subdued to me. Maybe I'm just comparing it to my last show at the Phoenix. And the fact that they cut the beer off at 8:45 was just odd. Has that been hapening on this tour, because the usher said it was done at the band's request.

Hoping that the Toronto show this week leaves me with a better feeling.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

puckstopper wrote:While I realy dug the set list, and Gord's amazing performance in particular, I was somewhat dissapointed when I left. First of all I found the sound from my position on the floor to be a little off. Wasn't loud enough in my opinion. I've never been to a concert in Ottawa before, but the crowd seemed kinda subdued to me. Maybe I'm just comparing it to my last show at the Phoenix. And the fact that they cut the beer off at 8:45 was just odd. Has that been hapening on this tour, because the usher said it was done at the band's request.

pretty much every arena show i have seen in the last couple of years has a booze cut off time of appx. 9:00pm
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

BIGVDOGG wrote:
puckstopper wrote:While I realy dug the set list, and Gord's amazing performance in particular, I was somewhat dissapointed when I left. First of all I found the sound from my position on the floor to be a little off. Wasn't loud enough in my opinion. I've never been to a concert in Ottawa before, but the crowd seemed kinda subdued to me. Maybe I'm just comparing it to my last show at the Phoenix. And the fact that they cut the beer off at 8:45 was just odd. Has that been hapening on this tour, because the usher said it was done at the band's request.

pretty much every arena show i have seen in the last couple of years has a booze cut off time of appx. 9:00pm
As BIGVDOGG said, it's nothing new. It happens at most shows, and all hockey games - times vary, but there's never any booze sold during the third period.
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

The Scotia Bank Place had signs everywhere boldy stating "AS PER BAND'S REQUEST, NO ALCOHOL AFTER 8:45PM" And the beer draft sizes, "AS PER THE BAND'S REQUEST, THE SIZE NOT AVAILABLE" re: largest size....

BTW: amazing set list, best 100th Meridian ever!
Angels Wings
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Angels Wings »

I wonder if it has anything to do with the kid that was killed in PEI last summer walking home from the HIP show. Killed by a drunk driver who also was at the show.( I believe those were the details)
Gord mentioned it when he dedicated one of the encore songs to said person at the summer show in St Adele at Bourbon Street North
Heaven Is A Better Place Today (Dedicated to poor Ty from the P.E.I. show, where he warned the crowd of the dangers of drinking and driving
Just a thought
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Perhaps... or it's just smart.

You don't need to have a beer in both hands, at all times, to enjoy yourself at a Hip show.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

BIGVDOGG wrote:
I guess... last time they played the Scotiabank Place (when it was called the Corel Centre) it was the 'evening with' tour in 2000, with no opening band. So the cutoff didn't seem as early.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Being up front, I was dreading the crush of drunks that would come, thinking back to pretty much every other Hip show I’ve attended. For as many times as I’ve seen the Hip, I can likely add up the elbows, kicks and shoves. Add to that, if there’s going to be one guy screaming his lungs out off-key, or shouting into his/her cell phone at a show, the fates have decided they will be standing beside me.

Instead, that was one of the best crowds I’ve seen in Ottawa. Loved that we could stand without concern, and at the front of section A everyone was into the show and having a good time. Not sure how much of that is because of the beer cut-off, or we’re just all getting a bit older? The crowd was worse behaved last time Blue Rodeo played Scotiabank!

The funniest thing I had with the beer cut-off was the beer selling lady trying to encourage me to buy more. “As soon as The Hip is on they cut sales, so are you sure you don’t want another one right now?”…ummm, no it’s OK, the $20 for a one beer each for my wife and I is fine, thanks.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

edgoffin, where were you in Section A? I was in Row 2 on the left hand side. Bald guy, black sweater.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:Perhaps... or it's just smart.

You don't need to have a beer in both hands, at all times, to enjoy yourself at a Hip show.
Too true. To be honest, I'd rather go for a beer before hand, and then stop when I get in the venue. I like to be able to take in what's going on, and I hate it when you need to the loo as soon as the band come on!
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

colinjardine wrote:edgoffin, where were you in Section A? I was in Row 2 on the left hand side. Bald guy, black sweater.
I was two rows behind you -- row 4, on the aisle on the left side when facing the stage. Think we were seats 13 and 14. You would have been beside the guys with the impressive recording rig, right?
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

yeah there were 4 seats between me and them.