01/31/07: Oshawa: General Motors Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
chris wrote: - At the end of the arena, opposite to the stage, there is a large car dealership ad that reads, "The Best Wheels Around Since That Kid Named Orr." I thought that Gord would work that in at some point, but it was not to be.
So that's what you were filming. The 2 girls standing (satanists) beside you thought you were trying to get a shot of them! Maybe if the jeans had only fit properly... :lol: :lol:
The jeans were just one of many issues I had with them... but I'll leave that story for Jeffro to tell. :thumb:
Over Opiated
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Over Opiated »

Oshawa knows how to reck a great thing. They finally get one of the best bands in the world to play their armpit of a city and they totally screw it up. Between fist fights in the crowd, mullets telling people to sit their asses down, or anal retentive ushers harrassing people as if the crowd was a bunch of five year olds, the Oshawa "locals" did a great job of wrecking a great time for everyone else. No wonder it's known as the "Dirty Schwa"
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

ah section 104, lol. I was in the front row of 104 on the side closest to the stage. I think me and my group of friends were the only ones standing on that side of the section, and of our small group i was the only one full out Gording it. I had my 'save the humans shirt' on and i got a couple of reactions from that. I was surprised that nobody hassled me about standing because everybody ( and i mean everybody) was sitting down all around and behind us. Inh hindsight I should have brought a water because with all my screaming, singing and jumping/seizure dancing, my lips were stuck to my teeth by the end of the night because i was so thirsty. Gord definatley pointed right at me once or twice smiling during springtime, to which my friend told me "he probly thinks you need a paramedic". Show was great, family band was brought to another level for me, springtime was the best of the three times ive seen it, the jam in meridian was absolutley insane! Definatley did not expect those covers to be thrown in there, very cool how the crowd started singing the Police tune. Gord was dancing like a fiend, which was good to see. Kids Dont get it! dont even get me started, thats one of my new live favourites. Only a couple of downers of the evening, obviously not many people in my section were standing or anything, that can be ignored though. I talked to the security gurad during NOIS and asked him if he could steal the setlist for me because i could see the sound guy had one set up on the sound board, and he told me something about the hip signing it and selling it on ebay for charity, I asked him how long theyve been doing that for and he told me like 15 years, anybody know anything about this? The Bowie cover was disappointing for me, probably just because i was looking forward to the cover all night and it was something I was not familiar with. Escape was a very nice treat for everybody, and while most people were sitting down my friends were trying to calm me down (didnt want me falling over the glass). Very cool how Gord went out of his way to thank the different town in and around the 'Shwa, but noticed a total lack of Courtice... (NEWCASTLE GOT MENTION! COME ONE!) anyways the boys seemed to be very into it, except for Sinclair who I thought was noticeably placid throughout the show. does anybody know what that contraption to the right of the stage (looking from the crowd)? it was like a little plastic satellite dish next to Robby raised about level with his head.
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

mojo_mattv wrote:...anyways the boys seemed to be very into it, except for Sinclair who I thought was noticeably placid throughout the show. does anybody know what that contraption to the right of the stage (looking from the crowd)? it was like a little plastic satellite dish next to Robby raised about level with his head.
Sinclair was a bit more subdued than I've seen him, but still rocked it.

I assume you are referring to this:

That contraption is a broadcast antenna for the in-ear monitors that Gord wears. It's been a hot topic of discussion between the tapers for a while as it's new for this tour - we speculate that it came with the new sound guy.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

that would be it, thanks alot chris
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

That contraption is a broadcast antenna for the in-ear monitors that Gord wears. It's been a hot topic of discussion between the tapers for a while as it's new for this tour - we speculate that it came with the new sound guy.[/quote]

Yeah Steve and I were very disappointed to hear it wasn't some sort of microphone that we needed to purchase.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Chris wrote:That contraption is a broadcast antenna for the in-ear monitors that Gord wears. It's been a hot topic of discussion between the tapers for a while as it's new for this tour - we speculate that it came with the new sound guy.
markslog wrote:Yeah Steve and I were very disappointed to hear it wasn't some sort of microphone that we needed to purchase.
Substitute your name with Steve's, and that is exactly what he said! :lol: :lol:
RevolutionMan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by RevolutionMan »

alright enough about the crowd ruining the show it depends on where you were sitting. the crowd was almost totally young people and ive never seen that many people jump up and down for blow at high dough, and i was at the dvd filming, the canada day and wasaga shows of 04. i guess the sitting thing was spread out. i was in 112 and every one was standing it was great. escape was amazing and made the show incredible the best version ive ever heard. springtime in vienna was full of energy unlike someone elses previous post. i think it was the best version ive seen. maybe they were sitting down. world container the song, is now the hips beer song because every one got up and left so go buy the beer they stopped selling. i dunno the only complaint is that the set isnt long enough it seemed very short.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

RevolutionMan wrote:alright enough about the crowd ruining the show it depends on where you were sitting. the crowd was almost totally young people and ive never seen that many people jump up and down for blow at high dough, and i was at the dvd filming, the canada day and wasaga shows of 04. i guess the sitting thing was spread out. i was in 112 and every one was standing it was great. escape was amazing and made the show incredible the best version ive ever heard. springtime in vienna was full of energy unlike someone elses previous post. i think it was the best version ive seen. maybe they were sitting down. world container the song, is now the hips beer song because every one got up and left so go buy the beer they stopped selling. i dunno the only complaint is that the set isnt long enough it seemed very short.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it much like everyone else. Sounds like you got lucky with the section you were sitting in. We however, did not.

Can't say I agree with your comment about Springtime being "full of energy" but that might have had something to do with where you were sitting (oooppps, I mean standing.)
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

This was a day of firsts for me. I have never been to Bobcaygeon in the winter so was quite surprised when i found myself in a snowstorm yesterday.I came very close to sliding off the road and almost didnt make the show,and that was before noon! Arrived in Oshawa at 4:00pm,walked around for awhile,inquired about taping to the lady that runs GMC,and was told definately NO under any circumstances.I didnt want to push the issue and be a DICK,figured I would leave that for other DICKS to deal with.Ended up at the packed Thirsty Monk,where some of us were to meet(Dreyfuss,Chris,and Mansized Eldorado).After a quick bite, too the show we go.So much for the no taping policy.These guys walk in like they own the place! After finding my seat in the players box(another first),I said my hellos to Markslog,a quick hello to Mav(he was in a hurry looking for Trevor to give him his pass).Watched the Constantines while having a couple of cold ones,then headed down to my seat.This was my first time taping so needless to say I was very excited.Great show.Didnt really notice the atmospher that others have mentioned as i was pretty much focused on a 2-1\2 inch lcd most the night,but did note that everyone on my side of the arena stood for the whole show.Highlights for me were:Meridian(dont know how Gord stays balanced on the mic stand),ABAC jam always gets me,Bobcaygeon(because I almost didnt get there yesterday),and meeting all you DICKS! Turns out...and for the record(sorry to wreck your image),that these guys are the nicest guys you could meet! Hey 420 I did videotape The Constantines first song.Pm with the title if someone could and i will get it up on youtube.I will either put a couple of The Hips songs up or make a montage teaser of some sort in the next couple of days.Have to figure out how to shrink these huge files down to 100 meg so as to post on youtube.Peace and see you in The Hammer.
RevolutionMan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by RevolutionMan »

RevolutionMan wrote:alright enough about the crowd ruining the show it depends on where you were sitting. the crowd was almost totally young people and ive never seen that many people jump up and down for blow at high dough, and i was at the dvd filming, the canada day and wasaga shows of 04. i guess the sitting thing was spread out. i was in 112 and every one was standing it was great. escape was amazing and made the show incredible the best version ive ever heard. springtime in vienna was full of energy unlike someone elses previous post. i think it was the best version ive seen. maybe they were sitting down. world container the song, is now the hips beer song because every one got up and left so go buy the beer they stopped selling. i dunno the only complaint is that the set isnt long enough it seemed very short.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it much like everyone else. Sounds like you got lucky with the section you were sitting in. We however, did not.

Can't say I agree with your comment about Springtime being "full of energy" but that might have had something to do with where you were sitting (oooppps, I mean standing.)
well sorry for that then
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Chris wrote:That contraption is a broadcast antenna for the in-ear monitors that Gord wears. It's been a hot topic of discussion between the tapers for a while as it's new for this tour - we speculate that it came with the new sound guy.
markslog wrote:Yeah Steve and I were very disappointed to hear it wasn't some sort of microphone that we needed to purchase.
Substitute your name with Steve's, and that is exactly what he said! :lol: :lol:
It's true, so very true :mrgreen:
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

most of the crowd where i was sitting (ahem) was sitting too ... it's tough to blame them though cuz the sightlines were perfect.

went to the monk after and it was far too crowded. asked a local if there were bars nearby...ended up at the atria (?) seeing a 40-something band cover zepp, ac/dc, halen etc. total frickin blask but a) too loud and b) they were trash talking the hip the whole night. hellllllllllllllo?

then had to bail to the scratch (?). fucking sucked.
RevolutionMan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by RevolutionMan »

yea definetly sitting or not, the new arena has a perfect view of the stage from anywhere i heard a lot of people saying the same. first time in there.