01/31/07: Oshawa: General Motors Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
Mr. Lahey wrote:Chris and Trevor what row were you guys in? We were in 6 on the isle. Did you see all this garbage go on too? Stupid idiots walking down to people's seats to challenge them should not happen at a Hip show. This isn't ballet!!
Yeah, we saw all that garbage too. We were in row four, on the aisle as well but it sounds like at the opposite end from you.

I can't remember the last time that I didn't stand at a hip concert but I wasn't really in the mood to complain to anyone...not like they would have listened!
Yeah, you were right across from us. I was gonna ask about the video (?) you were making, but figured it'd end up here somehow. ;) But I did notice that at one point during the show (100M?) two security guards came up to you and stood there for a good minute...the hell was that all about? And how did the two sections which apparently everyone got during the presale ended up being so...lame?

Steve
Hard Canadian
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hard Canadian »

thanks! wow they are messy eh? but what a great set list.....

draw us lines
hotline operator
young lions
working full-time
young offenders
soon enough
on to you
tank commander
lizaveta
shine a light
night time, anytime

for those of you who couldn't make out the actual set list.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

I shot the entire cover tune...Though since it was on my camera, it's quite weighty in size...I'd love t'post in on YouTube or whatever for you guys...Anyone have any ideas how t'reduce it's size yet maintain the quality?
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
RevolutionMan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by RevolutionMan »

i scored a mini tape recorder and external mics to tape about an hour of the show last night then dumb me completely forgot to bring it.
but i think that kind of recorded is pretty much obsolete now. but it mighta sounded alright dang.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

NWOntario wrote:
Mr. Lahey wrote:Chris and Trevor what row were you guys in? We were in 6 on the isle. Did you see all this garbage go on too? Stupid idiots walking down to people's seats to challenge them should not happen at a Hip show. This isn't ballet!!
Yeah, we saw all that garbage too. We were in row four, on the aisle as well but it sounds like at the opposite end from you.

I can't remember the last time that I didn't stand at a hip concert but I wasn't really in the mood to complain to anyone...not like they would have listened!
Yeah, you were right across from us. I was gonna ask about the video (?) you were making, but figured it'd end up here somehow. ;) But I did notice that at one point during the show (100M?) two security guards came up to you and stood there for a good minute...the hell was that all about? And how did the two sections which apparently everyone got during the presale ended up being so...lame?

Steve
The security guys were watching what was happening at the other end of our row. I believe that was the "I want to stand and dance/no you can't stand at a rock show fiasco!" They hopped the boards and were there in a flash. Pretty impressive actually!

As far as the presale goes - not sure how a lot of us got in section 104. But I do recall from looking at the floorplans on the arena's site, it looks like the setup was different than what they had posted during the sale. Chris and I were commenting that we thought the seats were going to be directly side-stage, or at least a little closer given what we saw on the floorplan. Turns out, that setup was for a full arena concert, not the "theatre" style that they advertised. I probably would have tried for better tickets knowing where the seats are now.

But you live and you learn. Overall, I still got to enjoy a night out with the Hip so I'm through venting about the crowd! The boys still put on a frickin' amazing show (as usual)!

t.
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

thehip420 wrote:
thanks! wow they are messy eh? but what a great set list.....

draw us lines
hotline operator
young lions
working full-time
young offenders
soon enough
on to you
tank commander
lizaveta
shine a light
night time, anytime

for those of you who couldn't make out the actual set list.
that's actually my scrawl. as said was several beers in and it was dark in there!
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

ps...have only seen hip four times...all in the last year...and last night's was my fave of all of them. i thought they were amazing and the lengthy groove out during 100th meridian was gold. as was it's been a looooong time ....

cool to hear two robert pollard tunes over the speakers, back to back, before hip hit stage.

lotsa people, though, beefed about the taps being shut down at, what, 8:45? ridic!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Ok I have my version of Hundreth Meridian from this show ready for somewhere but Youtube has the 10min limit.... I think thing is 11+ I may break it into 2 and just post em up?

The part where Gord attempts to hit Sting's vocals on Walking On The Moon... was one of the deadliest moments I've seen... I was stunned as were Gord S and Gord D as the crowd took over the lyrics singing.. "Tomorrows another day, you'll stay
I may as well play"...

You really can see there reaction to the crowd from my side stage angle.

Surprised the crowd picked up on this one... it was magic ...listen closely.... and I think it will appear at one of the upcoming shows for sure given the way the band was playing it and the crowds response.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Send me the file as I do not have the time limit for YouTube videos....
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

chris wrote:
mojo_mattv wrote:...anyways the boys seemed to be very into it, except for Sinclair who I thought was noticeably placid throughout the show. does anybody know what that contraption to the right of the stage (looking from the crowd)? it was like a little plastic satellite dish next to Robby raised about level with his head.
Sinclair was a bit more subdued than I've seen him, but still rocked it.

I assume you are referring to this:

That contraption is a broadcast antenna for the in-ear monitors that Gord wears. It's been a hot topic of discussion between the tapers for a while as it's new for this tour - we speculate that it came with the new sound guy.
in the DMB community IEM recordings are a somewhat common occurrence. more so in past years than recently. you can buy am FM receiver that picks up on the wireless signal being transmitted. each band member would have a different mix, so depending on whose feed you picked up, the recording can be really great, or really crappy. most times people leave the receiver hooked up to a DAT and record from the parking lot.

the recordings are really only interesting because you can hear what the band is saying to each other between songs.

DMB security and crew have started using scanners to try and pick up those wireless receivers who are trying to tape the feed. they arne't always successful. the taping community has sided with the band in saying that recording IEM feeds is an invasion of the band privacy (because you can hear their conversations) and have stopped taping them. of course, there are still people who don't give a shit and still try and record it
pigography
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by pigography »

^ Ah that's why I like it here, I learn something new everyday. *goes to impress the bf with knowledge*
chris wrote:The 2 girls standing (satanists) beside you thought you were trying to get a shot of them! Maybe if the jeans had only fit properly... :lol: :lol:
The jeans were just one of many issues I had with them... but I'll leave that story for Jeffro to tell. :thumb:
They were wearing sausage casings? *boke*
emperor penguin wrote:Pigography, I met you too, I think it was you who took a picture of my setlist, it was nice to briefly meet you.
That was you?! Aww wish I knew that beforehand - well nice to meet you. :D
I loved Gord's hankerchief dance, and then at the end he waves it in the air yelling "I surrender! Uncle! UNCLE!" :lol:
Last night I almost kicked the crap out of my computer. It. was. slower. than. a. dead. snail. and wouldn't upload my pictures. :x Maybe it's my internet connection as I only have diet high-speed. I'll could only get a few up this morning.

^ Giraffe, hehe.
Last edited by pigography on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

chris wrote:Send me the file as I do not have the time limit for YouTube videos....
Ya well as good as Youtube is Google Video has no rules on time or size so watch this space for the 100th !!!!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

thecompletist wrote:
chris wrote:Send me the file as I do not have the time limit for YouTube videos....
Ya well as good as Youtube is Google Video has no rules on time or size so watch this space for the 100th !!!!
Wasn't it Google that bought YouTube?
schaggs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by schaggs »

I grew up in Oshawa, but I live in Ottawa. I thought it would be a ton of fun to get some tickets for the show and drive down, visit the family a bit and catch a hip show.

Sitting in section 103, Row 10. I knew my section would be one of those "sitting" sections, based on the shows I've seen. Since the sightlines aren't blocked by anything at all, including the people on the floor, often people don't bother standing.

It was, in my opinion, the best show I've seen since 1995. I'm glad to see that Gord puts down the guitar on the songs that generally don't require a third guitar.

It was a harrowing experience getting there though. As we were leaving ottawa, cleaning the windshield of the car, the wipers broke off. So we went to get our tickets at ticketmaster, and GM Centre had already printed them off, so we didn't get our tickets prior to leaving. We ended up leaving Ottawa much later than we wanted. We got there about 60 minutes before the show, but couldn't park anywhere briefly to run in and get the tickets so we parked at my friends house (he was going too... it was his 32nd birthday) and we went from there, picked up our tickets at 7:45 and went in. I was glad to see that beer was only 5.75 instead of 11 like it is at the Scotiabank Place in Ottawa. Anyway, we enjoyed one of the best shows I've seen, and went back to my friends place where we grabbed some food and decided to head "home". Turns out we got a parking ticket for facing the wrong direction on a small residential street. Crap.

Anyway, spent the night in Oshawa and left to come back to Ottawa Thursday evening after supper. Thanks to the tanker truck accident on the 401, we got detoured at cobourg, but there were no markings to follow. We drove through a mess of snow until we figured out we were really far away from the highway, and the storm was getting worse so we didn't want to take the 7, so we found another route back to the 401. Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter, the drive back ended up taking 6 and a half hours and we didn't get back to Ottawa till 3AM this morning.

I also forgot my camera so I would really like to see more pictures people took.

Hopefully I can recover a little in the next few hours and I'll see everyone in Ottawa.

But all in all, I couldn't be happier about the show. Wow. The sound was phenomenal, the band was energetic, and I had a great time.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Blimey schaggs! That was bit of nightmare journey. I'm glad that the show was worth the trouble.