01/29/07: Peterborough: Memorial Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: Balloons

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

Jessicadoe wrote:Just a note for anyone thinking about taking balloons to a hip concert....DON'T DO IT! Someone had a couple of large balloons for everyone to hit around...Gord was not impressed and after he took a tumble from one he popped it and then loudly announced that he "f***ing hates balloons!"
I guess that means he wasn't diggin' the little balloon "volley" he & I had at the NYE show.....

:oops:
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:
Jessicadoe wrote:Just a note for anyone thinking about taking balloons to a hip concert....DON'T DO IT! Someone had a couple of large balloons for everyone to hit around...Gord was not impressed and after he took a tumble from one he popped it and then loudly announced that he "f***ing hates balloons!"
I guess that means he wasn't diggin' the little balloon "volley" he & I had at the NYE show.....

:oops:
"This is not rock and roll... this is genocide!"

Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

AND...I thoroughly enjoyed World Container LIVE !
headstoner
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by headstoner »

nippleholic wrote:
thehip420 wrote:
headstoner wrote:everyone get there early for the constantines.
reviewers.... include the constantines set list if possible? i'll be curious to see what they play.
can't remember the setlist in order, but this is what they played from what I remember:

Draw Us Lines
Hotline Operator
Working Full Time
Young Lions
On To You
Shine A Light

closed with Nighttime/Anytime

I know I'm missing a couple, and I don't think they played anything off the first album...

so anyone got anything else to add about the cons? anyone get there in time to tape em? (no i dont want to download it right away just wanna know that itll be coming eventually...)
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

Oh my, the Hip covering Joni Mitchell...my wife is going to shit herself. Some background...my wife loathes the Hip, even after I have dragged her to 3 concerts and 1 Gord solo show. I mentioned the other day that they have been doing covers this tour and that they did Train In Vain the other night. She rolled her eyes exclaiming that nobody except for Annie Lennox should ever be doing such a great song, least not the Hip. Some more background, she is a massive Joni Mitchell fan, believing all she does is hallowed. I am going to get a big kick out of telling her they did Big Yelow Taxi last night.
Ryan2
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by Ryan2 »

to be honest my tickets werent that bad when it came down to it, but not being within the first couple of rows or so when at a show makes it hard to gauge how the building was as a whole there were alot of stunned faces and people sitting down for most of the show. I made the most of it - love seeing the hip, love watching gord go crazy- hes a show within a show. Im not bitter at anyone who got good seats either, being jealous isnt a worthwhile cause.I do love the new disc and was happy to hear the songs performed live. When i go to a concert i tend to go by the thinking that the band will feed off the audience and i like to see people around me having a good time - It just comes down to the setlist selection, the band was giving'er for sure on every tune - lack of effort / or sounding good is not what im complaining about - I just thought the setlist was mellow! Also I really never feel entitled to hearing any song being played by any band when i go to a show they are the artists they choose and perform what they want! The only song i expected to hear was BOB due to the fact were pretty close to there. You could predict after the opening WC tune it was going to be GRACE or NOIS which isnt a bad thing and big yellow taxi-( i knew a cover was coming just didnt seem right for the hip)just didnt work for me , seemed odd and strange. And with the wolf thing i think professionalism would be decent in a case like that, a band sending out a password to their fans and it being broadcasted over the radio several times thru out the day so anyone could get tickets isnt cool - lots of people on this board didnt get tickets due to this fact(especially if they lived out of town)
Sorry headstoner not sure on the setlist for the constantines i know they sprinkled a neil cover with "tonight, tonight" for a verse during one of the tunes
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

I wanted to start a new thread with this observation or puzzlement but I'll relate it here...

I am from Michigan and have never been to a Hip show in Canada and have always thought that would be a really cool thing to do. Time, work and $$$ have hinderd this quest. However, my issue is this... As I read these reviews every day after a show, I am amazed at the two completely different perspectives.

One opinion seems to be from the hardcore Hip fans who really appreciate this tour and the its diversity in not only set lists but the intensity of the band, more mellow songs being played and with the new songs live. And the cover songs in the encore....How cool is that to have a different one every night!!! (not an easy stunt to pull off even if gord is reading the lyrics)

The other strong opinion is from the "I know a couple songs from the Hip so I'll go" camp. It seems there are a tremendous amount of these folks who are sitting on their hands waiting to hear those one or two tunes...

I have seen the Hip 13 times, mostly in the Detroit-Toledo area. I can't name one single show where people actually SAT! Every show from the Toledo Zoo to DTE Theater to the Palace was certainly rockin!

Are shows better in the states? Where there are mostly hardcore fans from Canada and hardcore fans from the USA?????

I can repost this in a new thread if you guys want.... :thumb:
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Ryan2 wrote: I just thought the setlist was mellow!
actually I love it when they pull out mellow tunes, The highlight of the Barrie show for me the other night was when they played Fiddlers and World Container back to back. All the drunk reckless idiots mellowed right out during those two songs. Then when 100th meridian came on a few songs later, the drunks were kickin chairs around again and pushed a small child into his dad.
spryguy09
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by spryguy09 »

I think the major problem with crowd support in small town shows is you do get the hardcore fans who may travel from city to city, but you also get a lot of locals who are going because it's the place to be. When you have a show in a major city (Toronto) the place is packed with fans.

For example, at the Peterborough show, I knew of 9 or 10 people who had never seen the Hip, and just wanted to go because it was one of the biggest shows to ever hit Peterborough.
Jessicadoe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Jessicadoe »

u8555 wrote:
Didn't think that one requireed a posting. However, chances are that those most likely to bring BALLOONS to a hip concert are not those on this site. For the record.....I fucking hate balloons too.
Why do you have a problem with that? People post about fights and crap on here that happened at their concerts that didn't even involve the hip!....it was part of the show...and actually seemed to have him pissed off at the fans for a bit...just thought I would mention it.....and for the record, I don't hate balloons(but I would never take them to a concert either!!!!)
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Next Hip cover song:

88 Loft Balloons

:D
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

About the baloon, it was more joking around than anything, typical Gord. After Drop Off Gord said "Alright, there's room for 1 demigog (possibly demi-god) in this room and it aint this f*&%ing ballon", he then proceeded to tackle it and squish it, following it up with "I'm ok... I hate F*&%ing ballons"

As I said it was more joking around than anything.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

dreyfuss wrote:About the baloon, it was more joking around than anything, typical Gord. After Drop Off Gord said "Alright, there's room for 1 demigog (possibly demi-god) in this room and it aint this f*&%ing ballon", he then proceeded to tackle it and squish it, following it up with "I'm ok... I hate F*&%ing ballons"

As I said it was more joking around than anything.
I think we're going to need to see video proof, and hear the audio proof. Now!!!! :lol:
Ryan2
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by Ryan2 »

I think Gord was distracted by it and was pissed - the 2 balloons werent cool at all- he looked pissed =