01/27/07: Sudbury: Sudbury Arena

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

01/27/07: Sudbury: Sudbury Arena

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Great show tonight, and as I predicted, tonights cover was Sudbury Saturday Night!

Here's the setlist

cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

WOW! look at the order, quite a lot different (but Meridan still 12th!).
Not a fan of Boots or Puttin, but the rest is really cool!

thanks for the set-list scan! I miss seeing those posted on their site.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Dr. Stompin Tom... eh?
The pride of PEI!
Even though he was born in Saint John, but thats a story for a different time.

For some reason, I think Gord's version will remind of the crazy Fire In The Hole intro thats on Live10.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Damn, Dreyfuss beat me to it! Stupid high speed connection at home isn't working worth crap anymore. I think this modem is fried. I've got to talk to Sympatico soon. Anyway, while I was struggling for like an hour to connect, here's what a pre-wrote, and now that I've finally connected, I stick by it!

I stole a pen from the restaurant before the show, but forgot to use it to write down the songs! I tried to record it, but screwed up and missed over 1/2 of the show! I can’t tell you the exact setlist, but here’s what I remember off hand, in the best order that I can think of:

The Lonely End Of The Rink
Courage
Grace, Too
Family Band
Boots Or Hearts
Putting Down
Something On
Ahead By A Century
Dire Wolf
New Orleans Is Sinking
World Container
At The Hundredth Meridian (set correct for sure from here on)
38 Years Old
In View
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Bobcaygeon
Yer Not The Ocean
50 Mission Cap
Fire In The Hole

Encore:
Sudbury Saturday Night (with Kathleen Edwards and all of her “sizzling hot band”; Paul sang a verse again!)
On The Verge
Blow At High Dough

For me, this show was an excellent end to an incredible week. My wife’s feeling a little under the weather with a bit of flu or something. She’s been great to me and my Hip addiction this week, so I’d better go take care of her for a while! I’ll probably post one of my extremely long-winded and ridiculously boring reviews in the morning. Good night!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Cool, finally The Dire Wolf again.
And not closing a set with On The Verge - cool.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

Decent set list for sure, and Hairbird, I look forward to your review of this show. I would just change puttin down for luxury! It's funny how they played the dire wolf after some chatter round here I think. Luxury in Oshawa, cmon guys, in the encore too! I'm NO Threat! Cause ya know they're saving Another Midnight for Toronto, right, aren't they :scratch: ?
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

The place must have erupted on the encore ! Paul again....eh... this is silly

I like the Grace-Courage combo near the beginning.... then at the mid-way point you get 38 years old and Something On....and finally the 50 Mission - Fire In the Hole...close-out!!!

And how about the encore..... the Hometown song SSS followed with a VERGE - BLOW - to the SOLAR PLEXUS..... freak'in beautiful..... alright
Last edited by thecompletist on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Great set - Nice to see that The Dire Wolf was back on there! :thumb:

Thanks for the info, guys.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

and now some photo's, they're not as good as man sized eldorado but I was running a video camera too so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :thumb:

Sorry, no shot's of Robbie, to many tall folks on that side :mrgreen:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Great pics pal! We need to hack into the feed from those stage mounted cameras - like the one you can see in this pic:

And let's get some of these great pics up on Hipography!
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Last night’s show was a real treat for me. I’d had great seats all week, but last night’s front row centre seats could not be beat! It certainly changes the way you experience a show, with a totally unobstructed view and basically oblivious to anything happening off of the stage.

It seemed that Gord was not impressed with the crowd, especially a large majority of the fans in the stands who were sitting on their hands for almost the entire night. I wouldn’t have known anything about the crowd, other than the people directly around me, if he wasn’t doing things to point it out during the night. It started off near the beginning with Gord simply mocking the fans in the stands. He climbed way out to the side of the stage and sat down, leaned back, crossed his legs, and copied their bored, uninterested reactions. However, by the end of the night, the fact that a great show and his own really energetic antics throughout the night had not brought the crowd to it’s feet seemed to truly aggravate him. After one of the really rocking song, maybe Locked, he mockingly blew a kiss towards the seated masses in the stands, but when 50 Mission Cap failed to do the trick he seemed to be at a total loss. During Fire In The Hole he spotted 4 guys, to my left and probably about 4th row who were really into it and jumping up and down. He pointed them out to the crowd, and said something along the line of those 4 guys having pride in their community. He must have been thinking that if the rest of Sudbury couldn’t get out of their seats for high energy songs about hockey and mining, then screw them!

From where I was standing all was great though! Gord stepped out onto a subwoofer right in front of us during one of the first couple of songs. He was pretending to slip and slide off of it while he was there. The really funny thing was that 2 crew guys came running out with cinder blocks during the next song to brace the thing in case he did it again. I guess it must have been pretty close to rolling away! It’s neat to see stuff like that, I probably would never have noticed it sitting anywhere else.

During the previous 3 shows (at least) Family Band has been played in the encore. I was a little surprised to hear it so early last night, but it’s such a great song that it can easily fit anywhere. I love hearing any/all of the newest stuff at a show. I’ve always got a fear that by the next time I see them it may have become a forgotten rarity and I’ll never witness it again. Missing the club shows means that I may never see some of WC played live, but I was glad to take what I could get this week.

Putting Down and Something On were real treats for me. Without checking, I’d guess that they haven’t been played much this year, and they were certainly a change from the last 3 shows. That alone was enough to make them special during my last show of the tour. The Dire Wolf is one of my absolute favourites, and I was so pleased to be hearing, again after going 3 shows without. I probably bruised my wife pretty well by jabbing her excitedly with my elbow when the song started up!

At The Hundredth Meridian was priceless again! Gord started his mid-song antics by throwing his stand up into the air and letting it crash onto the stage. He came perilously close to impaling one of his own monitors with it, just a few feet directly in front of me. After destroying the mic stand he unscrewed it from the base, and tried to dismantle it into 2 parts to hand out to the crowd. He couldn’t get it apart though! He ended up going to the side of the stage to get Billy Ray to help him take it apart! Once it was in 2 pieces he began skipping around the stage spinning one half like a baton. It was a truly marvellous display, Gord would have made a killer cheerleader! After failing at his best attempts to get the fans in the stands on their feet, he returned to centre stage and sank back onto his new mic stand, laying back and covering his face with a handkerchief again. Meanwhile, the rest of the band’s jam had reverted into a Police, Walking On The Moon riff. While practically laying on the ground, Gord started singing what he could remember of the lyrics. When he finally got up again, he did another Peter Frampton’s guitar imitation, which is really funny. “Do you feel, like we do?”

If was just after Meridian that I realized I hadn’t started my recording device, and hadn’t captured any audio since The Hip had started. What a dolt! I had been pulling the thing out of my pocket at least once every song to check the input levels, but never realized that I had it in recording stand-by mode, but had never hit record a second time! Dreyfuss had be so kind as to bring me a set of mics and a battery box to try out with my new recording device, but I’d already missed over half of the show! I was so disappointed. That’s when 38 Years Old started.

I couldn’t believe it. I’d sold my Fort York #2 tickets because that day ended up being the only time we could get our youngest Baptised during the summer, when our families would be able to come up to Sudbury. I’d been vacationing in Ireland when the club tour was announced and tickets were sold. It was definitely a song I was hoping to hear this tour, but when it started, I was so dejected from the failed recording attempt, that I couldn’t even enjoy it! Well, not for a minute anyway. I soon recovered, and am very glad to have heard 38 and Fiddler’s Green this past week. What a treat!

Locked was another tour first. Such an intense song, and Gord was right into it. He ended up crouching behind something, speakers presumably, at the side of the stage and banging his mic against the side, and screaming “Let me out!” 50 Mission Cap was unexpected and high-energy fantastic! After the “won the Leafs the cup” line, Gord hoisted his mic stand over his head and then gave it a big kiss, as if it were Lord Stanley’s ol’ mug itself! Fire In The Hole was as intense as ever, and I agree with Gord, if the fans hadn’t succumb by that point, damn them all. The fans who were into it were up and moving, and that’s who it’s really for isn’t it? After the song, Gord thanked the music lovers as always, pointing out into the crowd saying “it’s you, and you, and you…” He pointed up into the stands, but then shook his head, and carried on pointing out the fans on the floor. As Albert King used to say: “If you don’t dig this, you got a hole in your soul!”

Sudbury Saturday Night was a blast! Of course there had been talk of this being the cover for last night, but I never in a million years believed it. I had said to someone earlier in the week that I doubted they’d play it, but that the crowd would erupt if they did. With the lighting as it was, it was hard for me to tell, but I kept looking, and I believe the arena was actually standing for that! Truth be told, it was probably not the best version ever performed, but was it ever fun! Gord had trouble with lyrics, and although Kathleen was reading right off of a sheet, it was hard to understand what she was singing. Paul was the only true professional during the whole thing! Everyone on stage was having a great time, dancing around, clapping and stomping their feet, and the audience around me was eating it right up!

Verge and Blow got me wound up into a predictable frenzy, that kind that makes it impossible to fall asleep before 3:00 AM! That’s the “worst” part about a Hip show, the afterglow! My smile is so big for hours afterwards that I’m half blinded by the glowing joy that’s shooting out from inside of my body somewhere! To make matters worse I was out of the traditional ice cold beer to settle my torn and frayed nerves, but I have now discovered that Irish Whiskey, although not as refreshing as a cold drink over blown vocal chords, does a great job of settling the awoken beast within!

It’s been a slice. Many thanks again to markslog, bornalion and Dreyfuss, not only for your assistance, help, advice and borrowed gear, but for some very welcome company on the road. It was also great to see chris and Man-Sized Eldorado at Barrie #1 again, and to meet daaave before Barrie #2. Am I forgetting anyone? Cheerio for now!
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

I'm sure I forgot a lot (seems hard to believe when you look at the ridiculous lenght of that post), but one thing I meant to include in that review was that Kathleen Edwards came out, right in front of me, for Blow. She boogied up a storm, and tried her best to make up for some of the other people in the crowd. It was great to see her having such a good time during her last stop on The Hip's tour. I'm glad to have seen her 4 times (too bad the setlist didn't change much though), and I doubt I'll regret seeing her over the likes of The Sadies or Buck 65 (no offence to their fans...)!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Beautiful freakin Review hairbird... rock on!
Last edited by thecompletist on Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Here's a link for an mp3 of Sudbury Saturday Night. Sorry, that's me asking my wife if she's OK near the end. It's after the music, but I left it in so that you could hear Gord thank Kathleen and her band mates.

EDIT:
Thanks to chris for hosting:
“Sudbury Saturday Night” by Stompin’ Tom Connors
Last edited by Hairbird on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.