01/27/07: Sudbury: Sudbury Arena

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

thx for the link.... awesome! i m ready for them to bust out The Who
Indie Smash
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Indie Smash »

I have enjoyed this site for a long time and finally have registered to include my 2 cents. My wife and I have seen the Hip 24 times now over the last 7 years or so. I live in Buffalo so we have a large group of nearby cities we can travel to see the band numerous times on each tour. For Christmas I got my wife tickets to both shows in Barrie, we had 14th row for night 1 and 2nd row for night 2. I wanted to see 2 shows in a row because I realize they rarely duplicate songs 2 nights in sucession. The 3 songs we really wanted to hear were 38 Years Old ( because we never heard it live ), 50 Mission ( My wife's favorite ) and Locked ( my favorite ). Both shows were fantastic and 2 of the best shows we have ever seen but sad to say they did not do any of those songs. I felt the cruel twist of the knife when I read the setlist for Sudbury and saw ALL 3 SONGS ON THE LIST !!!!!! My wife thinks it is a very unfunny cosmic joke on us. Well I have tickets for Hamilton, Rochester and am working on the 2 Buffalo shows also, so I guess I am bound to hear them this tour, right ?? Also I do have a great video from Barrie night 2 of The Weight encore and if I can figure out how to do it I will post it so everyone can enjoy it. I hope to post more comments as this tour continues, but I just wanted to say I love this site and appreciate the efforts of everyone involved.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Indie Smash wrote: Also I do have a great video from Barrie night 2 of The Weight encore and if I can figure out how to do it I will post it so everyone can enjoy it.
PARDON ?????????????????????????
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Check out hipfans.com for a new MP3 download....
Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

Great reviews..and thanx for the Sudbury Saturday night ! :thumb:

That would have been a pretty special moment for sure !
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Oh yeah, if anyone was wondering 100th Meridian clocks in at over 12min from last night :)
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

this thread has gone long enough without my name being mentioned...

fuckineh, show was shorter than any other i've seen them play, but Gord was fired up like he was on a steady diet of uppers, so I'm cool with a shorter but more intense set...

got to hear:

Fire In The Hole
38 Years Old
Boots
Dire Wolf
Verge
Sudbury Saturday Night

(and of course the material from WC)

...live for the first time last night, so no complaints here, i'll just have to keep going to see them until I hear The Darkest One, Greasy, and IOD live...not that i'll stop going after i hear those.

there were a ton of cameras in the house last night, so i better see a bootleg turning up soon :thumb: .

highlight of the night for me was The Dire Wolf ("a song about an amazing dog"), just about had me in tears...i'm not sure how i kept them from falling but they didn't...

and right at the begining of the show, Gord sang a line in a William Shatner voice, and I'm pretty sure Rob caught me motuhing the words "William" Shatner" as gord was doing it, and after that, it looked like Rob was fighting tooth and nail not to bust out into a fit of laughter...either way though, it was great to see both the band and audience having such a great time...I didn't think that the boys and the crowd would be able to top the '04 Bluesfest performance here, but, I stand corrected.

ps: my new hoody kickas ass, i was quite pleasantly surpriszed with it, seeing as it wasn't featured in the much debated "new merch thread"...

pps: i boo'd (jokingly) during the "won the leafs the cup" portion of 50mc :mrgreen: .
Last edited by The Darkest Canuck on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

All the shows on this tour are about the same lenght 110min give or take a few. I think the last time I saw a show longer than that was probably the evening with tour but I could be wrong
Newf
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Newf »

Hey everyone! This was my first ever Hip concert and it was absolutely awesome. I was a little surprised that they didn't sing Little Bones, but with so many great songs they can't sing them all. The only song that I really want to hear/see live was New Orleans Is Sinking; it's one of the best songs ever written IMO.

Anyway, I was on the floor and I did notice that a lot of fans up in the stands seemed pretty relaxed. I think it has more to do with being absolutely enthralled with Gord's onstage antics than a lack of excitement. I imagine the majority of people were also Live Hip virgins like myself and found themselves in awe of the energy that Gord has onstage and the fact that they were actually watching the Tragically Hip. They are Canadian icons and it can be a surreal experience if it's your first time.

Kathleen Edwards and her band were also very enjoyable. She reminds me of the Cranberries (with an edge); and that's a good thing, IMO.
InVioletLight
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by InVioletLight »

Sorry for bringing this one up again when it's a few weeks old but I was at that show and I must agree, the crowd really was dull. I was in the stands, standing up the whole time, dancing around just, totally taking in the whole thing while everyone stared at me with eyebrows raised. I wanted to be up front with them four guys! Lol, they even got an acknowledgement from Gordon! "There four guys... they've got soul!"

Anyways, it was an amazing show! I couldn't talk for two days afterwards! I was so glad to hear them play Fire In The Hole! But was a little disappointed at the lack of In Between Evolution!
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

good point, there was absolutely no IBE...