01/26/07: Barrie: Barrie Molson Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

jkdiamond wrote:The Weight pretty much made my night. I would have killed to hear The Hip cover this great song, and they did it more than Justice, they honored a classic in a way that is really beyond description. This moment alone made this my #1 of 12 shows.
I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.... but good for you

and the MP3 is down just to rub the salt in a little more
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

cheers for the weight
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

thecompletist wrote:
jkdiamond wrote:The Weight pretty much made my night. I would have killed to hear The Hip cover this great song, and they did it more than Justice, they honored a classic in a way that is really beyond description. This moment alone made this my #1 of 12 shows.
I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.... but good for you

and the MP3 is down just to rub the salt in a little more

Ahh sorry dude :oops: and during The Weight Paul sang

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee
company?"

I can't remember if anyone answered this before...

edit:apparently someone did
lampshade29
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by lampshade29 »

I have to say that this was the best that the Hip have ever played in the eight times I've seen them. The band was super tight and Gord's voice is totally amazing. I had been reading people say that Gord is in the best shape he's been in years and his voice is better than ever and I was thinking that tbe excitement of these shows was taking over....not true. Gord looked great, he did not stop moving the entire show and his voice was amazing! I honestly can not believe the energy that he kept for the entire show. It was also hilarious when he kept licking the mic stand and mic...and his own arms! haha. Some great moves tonight. Using the broken guitar string to whip Paul was great...as was the pee of the side of the stage in courage.

I also heard some great rare songs I've never heard. Pigeon, LTR and Scared made the show very special. I've wanted to hear Scared for years and finally hearing it was the highlight for me. It was beautiful.

The Weight was bang on. I have been very impressed with how good these quality these covers have been. I would have bet that these songs could have been shakey, but they are super tight. Paul has a great voice and I was jumping out of my skin watching him sing.

I was so lucky to have gotten sixth row centre tickets for this show....I assume anyone on this board would have felt the same. I was saddened to see the lack of excitement from the people around me. The first five rows did NOT stand up for the first song. Gord took it in stride and mocked them by sitting on the moniter acting disinterested. People sat through a lot of the show and didn't move or anything. Gord seemed to be frusterated at times...but he seemed to work even harder to get the crowd going. After Fire in the Hole he made some great comments about how the crowd FINALLY stood up. He also said before the Weight that this is one you should recognize and if you don't you can "Siiiit dowwwwn...take it eaaassssyyy!" Classic Gord. So, this is to us hipbasers and fellow music lovers...make sure you have fun...enjoy these shows and give the energy back to the band. They deserve the appreciation. I know this isn't needed here....but I was really frusterated at points last night.

However....the show band was amazing and the setlist was fantastic.
Enjoy the rest of the shows....we love a special band!

John
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thecompletist wrote:and the MP3 is down just to rub the salt in a little more
What does this mean? The link I posted works fine...
maggie123
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

OH MY GOD..........

Post by maggie123 »

for the first time i got too see 2 shows in a row, i thought thursday was awesome but this was one of the best and i have seen them 14 times.
it was a different feel from thursday.it felt overwhelming and that was before they took the stage.
they must love too perform and i love seeing them because they are raw and dont have the pre-rehearsed night after night shows that others have.
they played off each other more than i had ever seen and had the chance too stand and show off a bit as individuals .
more like a team and not one person that overshadows the others.
and yes paul singing was the highlight for me .his voice is great and too hear him alone was awesome.
its funny because everytime i go i think ---this is it .this cant get any better so why go again.
well i know now that its them being great everytime that makes me want too go back.
i took my neice and she had never seen them and she was blown away.
maggie123
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

thanks

Post by maggie123 »

thanks hipfans .i was hoping someone would be able too tape the weight ,and paul singing.it was the first thing i told my husband about when i got home and now he can appreciate it for himself.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Chris, thanks so much for posting The Weight! There's just something magical about a legendary Canadian band covering a classic song by another legendary Canadian band. It sounds amazing, and Paul kicks all kinds of ass on that 3rd verse. Great stuff!

:thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I've got to do something to kill this rumour that I'm a real dick... :)
soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

Man... The Weight sounds fantastic!

I hope we can have a "Hip Covers" compilation released at some point, because it sounds like these have been amazing.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

chris wrote:
thecompletist wrote:and the MP3 is down just to rub the salt in a little more
What does this mean? The link I posted works fine...
I think he's jealous that he didn't get to see it live.
juliea
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by juliea »

lampshade29 wrote:
I was so lucky to have gotten sixth row centre tickets for this show....I assume anyone on this board would have felt the same. I was saddened to see the lack of excitement from the people around me. The first five rows did NOT stand up for the first song. Gord took it in stride and mocked them by sitting on the moniter acting disinterested. People sat through a lot of the show and didn't move or anything. Gord seemed to be frusterated at times...but he seemed to work even harder to get the crowd going. After Fire in the Hole he made some great comments about how the crowd FINALLY stood up. He also said before the Weight that this is one you should recognize and if you don't you can "Siiiit dowwwwn...take it eaaassssyyy!" Classic Gord. So, this is to us hipbasers and fellow music lovers...make sure you have fun...enjoy these shows and give the energy back to the band. They deserve the appreciation. I know this isn't needed here....but I was really frusterated at points last night.

John
Thank you for posting this. I thought it was just me. I was in the second row and I was the ONLY one standing for Rink. I felt like the whole arena was staring at me. Throughout the show I looked around a couple times and I'd say maybe 25% of the crowd was really into it. The other 75% seemed like they won free tickets and never heard a hip song before. I don't know. Amazing show but I, too, was frustrated with the audience.