01/26/07: Barrie: Barrie Molson Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

How's this:

Setlist:
The Lonely End Of The Rink
Courage
Twist My Arm
Lake Fever
Drop Off
It’s A Good Life If You Don’t Weaken
In View
Nautical Disaster
Long Time Running
Pigeon Camera
Fireworks
At The Hundredth Meridian
Boots Or Hearts
The Kids Don’t Get It
Grace, Too
Scared
Yer Not The Ocean
New Orleans Is Sinking
Fire In The Hole
Encore:
The Weight (The Band) with Kathleen Edwards and Colin Cripps
Family Band
Little Bones

Kathleen Edwards and band did a great job again tonight. I believe it was the same setlist as the last couple (minus the Byrd’s cover from last night), but I can double check if anyone really wants to know. I tried recording her set tonight. I’m starting to wonder what I’m going to do with all of this stuff. If I’m not mistake, both of my hard drives at home are almost filled to capacity. I don’t burn fast enough. Oh well, if worst comes to worst I’ll just delete some of the DVD’s sitting on there. I can always get them again. My ratio at the hiptracker is too high anyway!

The Hip’s night started with Gord asking “You got any goalie in ya? You want some?” Of course, Rink opened the show again. Looks like it might be the only opener I’ll see this tour. Not that I’m complaining, that opening lick has had me hooked since I first time I saw that Sasquatch Festival video so many months ago.

Twist My Arm: “Coercion? Manipulation? Arm twisting? Of course, for you, yes please!” Great song, lot’s of energy as always. Lake Fever was introduced with the typical couple on a beach, yellow flag, 1832 cholera epidemic story. Another great song, so atmospheric, it was easy to forget the cold wind and snow outside. Paul’s backup vocals always suck me right in during this song!

Drop Off was fantastic. I don’t know how this can’t help but become a live staple for years to come. I love the way the lights flash out from the back of the stage, right in time with the fast parts of the song.

Despite my initial trepidation, In View has not disappointed live. I was surprised with the reaction around me tonight though. There didn’t seem to be a lot of recognition for the song, at least not compared to the reaction of the people sitting around me last night. I suppose it’s just the coincidence of who’s around, but last night it seemed like In View must have made a lot of in-roads through the radio, but tonight it seemed like it was quite a few people’s first time hearing it. Maybe that’s the difference between a Thursday and Friday night crowd?

Gord had quite a lengthy rant towards the end of Nautical Disaster. I couldn’t make it out very well at the venue, but as I listen now, I hear him talking about man’s indifference to man. Too much to try and transcribe in full, but something to look forward to! A couple of songs later, Rob absolutely ripped through a killer solo at the end of Pigeon Camera. That was my guitar moment for the night without a doubt!

Meridian was preceded by Gord singing “Giant steps are what you take” (Walking On The Moon – The Police). During the song Gord told us again how he “dances to forget.” “To forget your beautiful faces!” It’s the nicest thing anyone’s said about me in ages! He did the same handkerchief over the face, laying back on the mic stand routine that I’ve seen him do during the last couple of shows. He started spinning around on the stand, down close to the stage, which I thought was a pretty neat trick. I can’t remember exactly when, if not during Meridian it was probably closer to the end of the set, but Gord destroyed another mic stand by throwing it up into the air several times and letting it crash onto the stage. He took the top part, and tried to hand it to someone in the first row, and I’m not sure what happened, but I guess they wouldn’t take it! Can you imagine refusing such a souvenir? He ended up walking to the other side of the stage and handing it to a more receptive fan!

Grace, Too fit in quite well towards the end of the set. After the first “grace, too” line, Gord figured that he hadn’t hit the note quite right on “too.” He kept singing “too” in different keys until he felt he’d got it right. Grace was followed immediately by Scared. Who says they don’t play enough DFN?

Fire In The Hole is such a great song, and an excellent way to end a set. There seems to be a new found sense of urgency, and a rise in energy level from the band, every time I’ve seen it live. As a “miner” myself (although a pencil pushing, profiting eating engineer type these days, as my old co-workers and real miners would say), I’ve held a special place for this song for quite a while now. Have you ever seen the movie Matewan, and heard the old folk song called Fire In The Hole, which helped to inspire The Hip song? It’s worth tracking down some day…

The Weight! What can I say? Kathleen Edwards and Colin Cripps joined the band for this one. Other than Chris and Kate, I’ve never seen anyone perform with The Hip. It was a treat for sure. There were some excellent photo opportunities with Paul and Colin, and Gord and Kathleen. I snapped a lot of pictures during that song, so hopefully some of them turn out OK. Gord sang the first verse, Kathleen sang the second. I naturally expected Gord to start singing again, but was surprised when the third verse started. At first I honestly thought that Kathleen was singing again, but it didn’t quite sound like her. It took me a second to realize that Paul had stepped up to his mic for the third round. He did not disappoint. You might even say that he kicked that song’s ass! Someone said after the show that he should be making a solo album, and I totally agree. If I had any money I’d front that project for sure!

Family Band has been sounding great in the encores. Rob is doing some kind of quick, two-string, half-muted strum thing that I think sounds quite different than the album. It’s really attention grabbing and sounds great. Something about tonight seemed like a two encore show, and I thought that Little Bones left the crowd wanting more, but they quickly dispersed. Word must have gotten out that this is a one encore tour, because nobody even tried to get the band back out. Personally I think they’d have been willing if the crowd was up for it, the crew didn’t seem to rush out too quickly, but such is life.

One more show for me tomorrow night. These cover tunes, more than anything else, make me wish that I was hitting at least every Ontario date, but one week off work is what I decided when the presales were announced, and I guess I’ve got to live with that now! According to my “personal concert stats” this was my 20th show! I had done a count in my head earlier in the week, and thought that I was already at 19 before The Soo, but I can’t seem to think of anything missing from the list now. I guess Sudbury will be lucky number 21. See you there…
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

sean.bonner wrote:I bet 100 Hipbase Dollars that it was this verse:

"Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can." "
Sorry, it was:

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee
company?"
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

The Weight! Holy crap, that's unbelievable! Somebody must have recorded this. We need an mp3 of this tune, stat!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

You guys should make it a priority to visit hipfans.com because I posted the MP3 of The Weight.

Enjoy!
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Thanks Chris.... but where the youtube version ? (kidding....)
awesome
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

chris wrote:You guys should make it a priority to visit hipfans.com because I posted the MP3 of The Weight.

Enjoy!
Can't wait to check this out!

Thanks for posting the covers :thumb:
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

chris wrote:You guys should make it a priority to visit hipfans.com because I posted the MP3 of The Weight.

Enjoy!
wow, amazing.
I just hope I recognize the cover they do in TO, its hard to prepare for it!
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

That was awesome. Thanks to hipfans.com. The quality is awesome - both the music and the recording. Gonna listen to it all morning.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

thecompletist wrote:Thanks Chris.... but where the youtube version ? (kidding....)
awesome
In time... I didn't go to the show, so I have to rely on one of the other dicks to doo the dirty work this time.
u8555 wrote:That was awesome. Thanks to hipfans.com. The quality is awesome - both the music and the recording. Gonna listen to it all morning.
You are welcome. dreyfuss recorded the show, and sent the file to me.
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

sounds amazing, way better than mine. :D
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Showed up late to the Molson Center. They had just started kids. Our seats were on the left side of Robbie. It was a great view of the Tragically Hip and their equipment.

Did anyone notice the dude sitting to the back-left of Johnny Fay? Screen guy ?!

But as others have mentioned the highlight was Pauly and his awsome lead. Nicely done!

Gord D. was on fire. As crazy as ever! Jumping and flipping about. And even pretend hitting Paul with his broken guitar string!

Glad to finally hear Family Band. Robbie's guiater lead is absolutely amazing! What an supurb setlist!

Enjoy Sudbury!!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Hairbird wrote:Fire In The Hole is such a great song, and an excellent way to end a set. There seems to be a new found sense of urgency, and a rise in energy level from the band, every time I’ve seen it live. As a “miner” myself (although a pencil pushing, profiting eating engineer type these days, as my old co-workers and real miners would say), I’ve held a special place for this song for quite a while now. Have you ever seen the movie Matewan, and heard the old folk song called Fire In The Hole, which helped to inspire The Hip song? It’s worth tracking down some day…
Here's some info about the inspiration for Fire In The Hole:
http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6258

Here's the folk song.
And here's a live Hip version from 1993/94/95 (possibly High Sierra 1995).

And the Hazel Dickens version lyrics:
Fire In The Hole
You can tell them in the country, tell them in the town
Miners down in Mingo laid their shovels down
we won't pull another pillar, load another ton
or lift another finger until the union we have won

Stand up boys, let the bosses know
Turn your buckets over, turn your lanterns low
There's fire in our hearts and fire in our soul
but there ain't gonna be no fire in the hole

Daddy died a miner and grandpa he did too,
I'll bet this coal will kill me before my working days is through
And a hole this dark and dirty an early grave I find
And I plan to make a union for the ones I leave behind

Stand up boys, let the bosses know
Turn you buckets over, turn your lanterns low
There's fire in our hearts and fire in our soul
but there ain't gonna be no fire in the hole

There ain't gonna be no fire in the hole
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Thanks for posting both of these (and the ones that may or may not follow) Chris!

Cheers,

Pat
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

Here are some pictures from last night, the quality isn't great but not to bad. They were taken from my Cell Phone since my Digital Camera is crappy under weird lighting. Best I could get, Row 1 section C

jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

This was the 12th show I've seen. I've been lucky enough to hear some amazing setlist. I really thought this was one of the best. There was not one song I heard that I left saying, I could have gone without hearing that.

Hearing Pigeon Camera, and Boots were what I thought would be the highlights of the show for me personally. Truthfully hearing the band break into the opening cords of The Weight pretty much made my night. I would have killed to hear The Hip cover this great song, and they did it more than Justice, they honored a classic in a way that is really beyond description. This moment alone made this my #1 of 12 shows.