01/25/07: Barrie: Barrie Molson Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

tfoe wrote:
cheney50mc wrote: Play some of the new album and everything else from the first 4 albums, seriously - what is there after Day for Night that we need to hear?
I still am a little confused after this post. You are saying that there is nothing worth hearing live after "Day for Night?" Why are you on this forum if that's the case? You do know that "Phantom Power" came after DFN don't you? Some great tracks there. Not to mention the top tracks from all the rest of the albums. I'm confused!!
every band's got their share of "oh they used to be so good" fans. fine and well.
but that they hang around a band forum and yak about yearning for the days of a decade ago and that nothing's been good since, well, that confuses.
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

To be honest if I had read that setlist as someone who hadn't been there I would have leaned towards "meh" but it really was a pretty decent show. Seems like forever since I saw a show (actually it was the IBE Canada Day show so been awhile) I've really slowed down my concerts in the last couple of years for a variety of reasons but seeing the Hip in a smaller arena close to home has rejuvenated my love for live music.

Thanks for the quick link to the Clash track Chris. You da man!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Nice to see Liv(sic) back in the setlist again. It's one of my favorites from the new record, and they haven't really played it since the club shows.
2dsmith
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by 2dsmith »

chris wrote:I posted an MP3 of Train In Vain on hipfans.

Thanks Chris, what a great song! Total surprise there, to me anyways.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

chris wrote:
Hairbird wrote:
chris wrote:Great show, great stage set-up, and another fairly passive crowd - except during the intermission when the idiots from Rock95 tossed a few large beach balls into the crowd. This was just about the only time that many of the people in the stands seemed into being there.
Yeah, I forgot to mention the loud echo of booos that broke out before the show. When I turned around to see what had happened, I noticed that chris had taken one of the beach balls out of play. What a dick! :lol:
People hated chris even more than the mention of Hamilton by Kathleen Edwards!
True. I was there, and can confirm that this happened. :thumb:
Chris is my hero! Stupid beach balls screwing up the video not a chance. Chris the man braves the jears of the audience to save the day. God bless you Sir. God bless you.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Great show,

Nice to hear hear Fiddlers for the first time. It was pretty neat to see Gord put the microphone up to his heart at the end of the song with his head down. You can tell the song means alot to him. 3 pistols was a highlight, it's always great to hear ABAC and On the Verge was an incrediible way to kick of the evening. Also it was kind of funny when Gord went over to Robby during Fiddlers and wiped off his forehead with his hankerchief. And as others have mentioned Train in Vain sounded great. I took a bunch of pics and will post some of them later. Can't wait for Oshawa
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

oh yeah, I saw Dave Hodge (again) enjoying the hip
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

Train sounds killer! best cover yet.thx for posting
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

emperor penguin wrote: It was pretty neat to see Gord put the microphone up to his heart at the end of the song with his head down. You can tell the song means alot to him.

Also it was kind of funny when Gord went over to Robby during Fiddlers and wiped off his forehead with his hankerchief. And as others have mentioned Train in Vain sounded great.
I got a couple of great shots of this.
Been trying to process the files all day and get them posted but work has been getting in the way :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

Hopefully soon...

t.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Train in Vain? Good lord, you've got to be kidding me....... Unreal! Mp3 sounded terrific!

This cover thing is way too cool...... Hats off to the band for entertaining us and themselves this tour!!!! :thumb:
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Hairbird wrote:Setlist:
The Lonely End Of The Rink
New Orleans Is Sinking
Fully Completely
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Luv (sic)
Bobcaygeon
In View
Poets
Fiddler’s Green
World Container
Springtime In Vienna
At The Hundredth Meridian
Ahead By A Century
The Kids Don’t Get It
Gift Shop
Wheat Kings
Yer Not The Ocean
Three Pistols
Blow At High Dough
Encore:
Train In Vain (AKA Stand By Me) - The Clash
Family Band
On The Verge

My fist time hearing Fiddler's Green in person! “For all the little boys here tonight, and the mothers too. OK, and the dads as well. And the sailors, Shakespeare freaks, for all of you…” To my amazement, a bunch of people around me figured it would be a good time to sit down and rest for a few minutes. I found it strange, but who can really blame them, they’d been standing for almost 40 minutes by that point! There was another song, Wheat Kings I believe, where the same phenomenon occurred around me. Perhaps the crowd here was a little too dopey. The big difference that I noticed between the Barrie crowd and the Sault Ste. Marie crowd was the pot! In The Soo I was shocked to go through the entire concert without smelling a whiff. In Barrie, I can’t remember I time when I didn’t smell it! I can’t explain it, nor could I care less, but I thought it was an interesting difference.

Gord put on quite a display during Meridian again. I had a better view of him tonight. He draped a white handkerchief over his face, lay back using his mic stand like a beach chair, and put his feet up on the monitors to take a nap. It was quite a feat of balance I’m sure, made only more amazing when he started waving his arms around while laying back like that. A pretty standard jam ensued. I don’t believe that it built on any of the new ideas that I seemed to perceive at the last show.

Wheat Kings was introduced: “Anyone here been in jail for a crime they didn’t commit?” That was followed by a big applause from the crowd. Gord replied with: “Whoaooo. That’s a lot of justice!” Rob plays the first half of this song lap-style slide on an acoustic guitar with a Telecaster (if I remember correctly) slung behind his back. He then hands off the acoustic, spins the Telecaster around to the front, and rips off a great electric solo.

Three Pistols has always been one of my favorites from The Hip’s entire catalogue, and I love it every time that I get to see it live. Tonight’s version didn’t seem to go off perfectly. I don’t remember if Gord has been doing this during recent history, but during every chorus he was singing “…three pistols spent” instead of the three/two “people spent” progression on the album. It may just have been my imagination, but it seemed like Paul and Sinclair were trying to sing the original lyrics in the background and Downie was singing his revised lyrics over top of them. Something sounded a little off, but despite that I still love the energy of that song, and it will always be a highlight for me.

Tonight’s cover was Train In Vain by The Clash. For me it was totally unexpected but it sounded great and went over really well. I love these covers every show. Even though it’s now pretty predictable that we’ll hear a different cover as the first or second song of a three song encore, it’s still a total unknown every night, and it seems to be just as enjoyable for the band as it is for the crowd. While driving down to Barrie before the show I had a vision that Baby Please Don’t Go would make an appearance. Apparently I’m more of a psyco than a psychic, but it also got me thinking that I’d love to here Gloria or Train Kept A Rollin’ over the next couple of nights.

On The Verge was another real treat for me. I’ll have to go back through the setlists of the shows I’ve attended to see, but it may be the first time I’ve heard that one too. It’s always been a favorite of mine on the early 90’s bootlegs, and in my mind the NOIS/Verge combo was made in heaven. The only thing that would be better than hearing Verge, or getting a break from NOIS it it’s present day form, would to be to hear NOIS followed in a raging frenzy by Verge! I wonder when the last time that combo was played back-to-back? Go listen to a boot circa ’91 or so and see if you don’t agree that the combo is greater than the sum of those two parts. Of course, NOIS was played with a different kind of passion then, but I still think it’d make a killer combo today.

Sorry, I forgot my pen and paper, so I didn’t write down Kathleen Edwards set, but as I recall it was almost identical to the one I posted in the Sault Ste. Marie review. I’m not sure if she dropped anything from The Soo, but she added a Byrds cover tonight. I wasn’t familiar with it, and couldn’t tell you the name. If it was a bit fresher in my memory I could probably have figured it out, but I can’t remember much about it now.

All in all it was an enjoyable show. I don’t believe that Gord was quite as animated, either vocally or physically, as he was in The Soo, but he still put on a great show. The rest of the band sounded great. It seemed to my untrained ears that Rob hit a couple of strange notes throughout the night, but he also played some killer licks when I wasn’t expecting them. Gord Sinclair and Johnny seemed to be working really well together, and I noticed a lot of eye contact and communication between them. Paul was Paul, rock solid as always.

It was great to meet markslog and bornalion, and to catch up with dreyfuss, chris and Trevor once again. I’m looking forward to tomorrow!
Gord has been singing "Three Pistols" that way for a while. I don't think I've heard a live version of the song where he doesn't stray from the original lyrics. Maybe in the early 90's he was singing the lyrics from the cd, but I'm not sure.

Rob always hits strange notes and they are always LOUD and NOTICEABLE. God bless Robbie but when he makes an obvious mistake, the whole arena hears it.
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

GBV wrote:
tfoe wrote:
cheney50mc wrote: Play some of the new album and everything else from the first 4 albums, seriously - what is there after Day for Night that we need to hear?
I still am a little confused after this post. You are saying that there is nothing worth hearing live after "Day for Night?" Why are you on this forum if that's the case? You do know that "Phantom Power" came after DFN don't you? Some great tracks there. Not to mention the top tracks from all the rest of the albums. I'm confused!!
every band's got their share of "oh they used to be so good" fans. fine and well.
but that they hang around a band forum and yak about yearning for the days of a decade ago and that nothing's been good since, well, that confuses.
The first show I saw was the DNF tour.
The other 19 times I've seen them was after DFN.

I'm just saying that I like the earlier stuff better and if they played show with 5 new songs, 1 cover and 16 songs from the first 4 albums then everyone here would probably say it was the best show of the tour.
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

cheney50mc wrote:
GBV wrote:
tfoe wrote: I still am a little confused after this post. You are saying that there is nothing worth hearing live after "Day for Night?" Why are you on this forum if that's the case? You do know that "Phantom Power" came after DFN don't you? Some great tracks there. Not to mention the top tracks from all the rest of the albums. I'm confused!!
The first show I saw was the DNF tour.
The other 19 times I've seen them was after DFN.

I'm just saying that I like the earlier stuff better and if they played show with 5 new songs, 1 cover and 16 songs from the first 4 albums then everyone here would probably say it was the best show of the tour.
well you can count on me not being part of "everyone," then.
there are loads of post-dnf songs i prefer to pre-dnf ones (and vice versa).
if all yer gonna do is play five newbies then ALL oldies yer gonna get tired of it in a hurry. and chances are it'll show.
repeat...i. am. an. artist. not. a. retro. jukebox.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

tigerthelion wrote:
Hairbird wrote:Three Pistols has always been one of my favorites from The Hip’s entire catalogue, and I love it every time that I get to see it live. Tonight’s version didn’t seem to go off perfectly. I don’t remember if Gord has been doing this during recent history, but during every chorus he was singing “…three pistols spent” instead of the three/two “people spent” progression on the album. It may just have been my imagination, but it seemed like Paul and Sinclair were trying to sing the original lyrics in the background and Downie was singing his revised lyrics over top of them. Something sounded a little off, but despite that I still love the energy of that song, and it will always be a highlight for me.
Gord has been singing "Three Pistols" that way for a while. I don't think I've heard a live version of the song where he doesn't stray from the original lyrics. Maybe in the early 90's he was singing the lyrics from the cd, but I'm not sure.
I'm sure you're right, but something still sounded strange, like there were different vocals being sung at the same time, and not just once, but during each chorus. I haven't noticed that type of "conflict" before. I've got a recording (albeit a little bit of a sketchy one), so I'll have to listen again more closely and see if I can put my finger on what I think I remember hearing! Still a killer tune though...
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

kcpr3 - great pics... they let you in with a dSLR??? WOW, I woder if I can get my D80 into the London show????