01/22/07: Thunder Bay: Fort Williams Gardens

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

01/22/07: Thunder Bay: Fort Williams Gardens

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

So... am I the only one going?

Cheers,

Pat
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

I'll be there man!
KarmaKrazy
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by KarmaKrazy »

Thunder Bay SUCKS!! hahahah just kidding, wish I could be there... I was born and raised in good old Fort William. Looking forward to the Copps gig in Hamilton though. Enjoy the show people.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

I'm going. I shouldn't be. But I'm going. Can't wait! This is my actual hometown concert--so I really want to hear "Blow at High Dough".

Steve
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

The more the merrier at the Gardens. I was hoping to set up a meet up before hand somewhere in Ft William, but I've been called into a meeting at 4:30 Monday, so it's not really feasible on this end anymore.

I'm stoked. I'm also making the bold prediction of Helpless as the cover (it's just a feeling I have, nothing else).

Cheers,

Pat
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Let's spell this one out, shall we?

Lonely End of the Rink
Courage
Twist My Arm
Gus
Family Band
Ahead by a Century
In View
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Pretend
Long Time Running
Fireworks
At the Hundredth Meridian
Bobcaygeon
The Kids Don't Get It
Fully Completely
Scared
Yer Not the Ocean
New Orleans is Sinking
Fire in the Hole
---
ON THE FUCKING VERGE!!!!!
Going, Going, Gone (His Bobness)
Blow at High Dough

Excellent show. Wasn't expecting to see the hometown show (on this tour or ever), but when opportunity knocked I gladly accepted. Seats weren't great (back corner, Paul's side), but the Gardens is small enough that the view was just fine. Acoustics were decent. Band was in good form, but Gord D. was somewhat subdued; he also botched the lyrics to "Twist" and "Verge" spectacularly. The "100M" rant seemed like it was going somewhere, but then just wound up with Gord lying against his mic' stand.

Oh, and the crowd (at least where we were sitting) was way lame. Virtually no reaction to nothing until "NOIS", and even then it seemed muted. The "Courage" sing-a-long was a disgrace. I'm banking on much better crowds in Oshawa, Ottawa and Toronto.

Still, a great night. The line "they shot a movie once in your hometown" made it worth the $60. :D

Steve
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Surprised I was beaten to the punch.

First floors at an arena show and it was quite the experience, 2nd row centre. I'm hoping a good number of the pictures turned out (I think there was about 90 of them).

Couple of notes. A full review is going in Monday's paper at Lakehead -- I'll post the link then.

The first verse of Twist and 2nd/3rd (kinda) of Verge were blown. Doesn't take away from how much I love hearing Verge live, but there none the less.

The version of Locked was just incredible. It reminded me why I loved this song so much in high school in the first place. Inredible work from Bobby on this one. Locked was a late addition to the set list. Couldn't really made out what was crossed out on the list -- it was either Chagrin or Greasy I think.

Bobcaygeon on the other hand was a full blow auidible. Sherpa was actually written on the list.

Between the main set and the encore, the band took time to sign a setlist for a special fan sitting right in front of us. This little guy was 7 years old and attending his very first concert. It was proof positive what class acts the band really are. Gord even gave him a wink during Blow.

The crowd was alright. Some singing on the floor -- the stands didn't leave their seats until the encore I think. If I remember correctly, it was like that for Pearl Jam too.

Go see Kathleen Edwards too. She knocked the doors down with a tight 45 minute set.

Cheers,

Pat
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

To me, the crowd seemed awful. No one in our section was standing until NOIS, and everyone sat right back down after "On the Verge". I remember people going nuts for Pearl Jam, then growing more and more subdued during the set before coming back to life for the encores. But whatever--I had fun. ;)

And what you said about "Locked". Definitely the best version I've ever heard; it's also worth noting it got a good reaction from the crowd. Can't wait for the 'shwa!

Steve
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

That's a shame to hear that the crowd weren't really into it - that can often make or break a concert. I'm glad you guys still enjoyed it though.
hotmetal401 wrote:Between the main set and the encore, the band took time to sign a setlist for a special fan sitting right in front of us. This little guy was 7 years old and attending his very first concert. It was proof positive what class acts the band really are. Gord even gave him a wink during Blow.
That's really cool. It's nice when bands do things like that. :D I'm sure that kid'll be a fan for life now.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

i figured 'going, going, gone' was going to show up in the encore at some point on the tour, i was hoping it would be in SOUTHERN ontario... what are the chances of the hip dipping deeper into dylan and the band's 'planet waves'?... fingers crossed.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

I thought the boys would save their Dylan for NYC
Marcus1970
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Marcus1970 »

No disrespect to Bobcaygeon or Locked but Sherpa and Greasy would have really mixed things up.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Bob C was dedicated to Elaine (I think) "happy birthday baby" were the next words out fo GD's mouth. As I said, a total audible, which was cool as hell to see.

Greasy is a favourite live and it only dawned on me recently just how little I've seen it been played live.

Cheers,

Pat
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

NWOntario wrote:To me, the crowd seemed awful. No one in our section was standing until NOIS, and everyone sat right back down after "On the Verge". I remember people going nuts for Pearl Jam, then growing more and more subdued during the set before coming back to life for the encores. But whatever--I had fun. ;)

And what you said about "Locked". Definitely the best version I've ever heard; it's also worth noting it got a good reaction from the crowd. Can't wait for the 'shwa!

Steve
the whole lame crowd thing seems to happen all the time when a band as such plays a city that doesn't really get many shows of this size.
a big chunk of the crowd gets made up of "let's go cuz it's close to us and i know a couple of their songs and it's something to do" type of people who aren't the diehards that would drive out of town to see them or whatever...