01/20/07: Winnipeg: MTS Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

he did...he dropped me a PM earlier this week and he's doing it all.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

wpghipfan wrote:Indeed... did Mr Sloggett make the cross country trip?

Rory
Halifax
I know he was at the west coast shows... not sure about the central ones... but knowing Mark there's a great chance that he was there!
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

He's hit 5 shows so far but they were all BC/Alberta dates, he picks up with the tour again in Thunder Bay. I called him yesterday and he didn't mention being in Winnipeg while I was talking to him.
Last edited by dreyfuss on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

Nope I wasn't there ... I start back up tomorrow in Thunder Bay
bow_of_defeat
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by bow_of_defeat »

This show could be an official DVD release. Gord was ON, the sounds was incredible and the atmosphere was amazing. The band sounded the best I've ever personally heard live.
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

Is it too early yet or will nobody post a description of the 100th meridian? :P

I suppose most people were a little hammered last night..I couldn't join the festivities after unfortunately. I'll write something when I get back, I have some minor hockey to ref.

...*can barely contain excitement*...
Joe
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Joe »

definate highlights: Poets, Meridian, Fiddler's,Drop Off, and The single greates Courage I have EVER heard live
Edit:2000 light years too
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

Graham wrote:Is it too early yet or will nobody post a description of the 100th meridian? :P

I suppose most people were a little hammered last night..I couldn't join the festivities after unfortunately. I'll write something when I get back, I have some minor hockey to ref.

...*can barely contain excitement*...
SPOILER ALERT...
The entire song lasted approximately 10 minutes, and it comprised of Gord Downie doing his best Jack Bauer impression :shock: Stellar to say the least..
P.S. Graham, feel free to expand on these points...
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

It is really hard to pick highlights - the whole set had a great flow to it and the audience never really sat back through any song. The crowd was jacked (we always are for the Hip) and the band was ON. Jonny Fay's fist pumps at the end were a surprise, you usually just get the hand raise. Gordie was..well..Gordie and he was ON....one thing I noticed that I have not really seem since Day for Night - their was a lot of recognition of the new material and it was all well received.

Rink - this is a great opener, gets the band and the fans in it right away.

NOIS - this got the fans in a frenzy, one of the forums had a discussion about how this one is wearing thin live - No Way, it rocked.

Fully - again, fand were singing along and Gordie was screaming FC at the end..

BobCg - first slower tune but at the right time, again, lots of sing along

Drop off - VERY powerful song live, Johnny Fay was killing the drums.

ABAC - more sing alongs from the crowd

View - the response from the crowd was very close to being 'anthum' like. I was very surprised with the crowd singing along and the 'phone rings once, twice, three times" part generally had the fans putting up, one 2 then three fingers....pretty cool. And again, great tune live.

Poets - huge reaction to this song...

Fiddlers - wow...wow...wow...to hear this live, the fans were singing along but as a rule the fans seemed to understand that this was a very emotioanl song for Gordie. Gordie gave a half hug to Robbie(may have been GordS) after the song...

WC - again, well recieved, not as well known as View to some but this sounds great live and was a good follow up to Fiddlers.

Springtime - one of my favorites live..sounded great..

100th - wicked..the interlude was a Peter Frampton tune i think, two others in my group picked up on that. I think this was were Gordie ended up laying down at the front of the stage..funny stuff. Again, fans were frenzied.

Long Time - lots of sing along and it is great how the song is just basically Gordie and Robbie, only the 2nd time I have heard this live in 10 shows.

Kids - wicked live, Gordie bouncing around to the beat..

Courage - fan favorite, personnally I NEVER tire of this one, Gordie had the fans singing a lot of the chorus.

Wheat Kings - we all know the words and Wpg has always LOVED this tune. Huge sing along.

Ocean - again I was surprised that there was a high level of recognition. Wicked live

Pistols - classic stuff, one of the people in my group's favorite so he lost it..lol

Blow - the best version I have ever seen...classic closer to a set

Encore:

Family - great live, another fav for me off WC, and I was waiting for the stop at the 3/4 mark 'cus I knew a lot of the fans would think the song ended there..lol...and when the song kicks back in, that point was perfectly timed.

2000 - song sounded familiar but I could not put my finger on it. Sounded good and I think a lot of fans probably thought it was either another new tune or an obscure old one.

Bones - what a finish...

Sound was great, the stage set is simple but effective. At one point, Gordie was sitting on the bottom of the mic stand and leaning back (back on the stand) and twirling around in a circle, waving...hilarious.

When Gordie did the spy thing with the gun hiding behind the other guys, when he got behind the drum kit he started saying "when you get in trouble, find a drummer" he may have said "find a drummer to hide behind".

Overall, the best show I have seen. Just amazing.
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

Aighty I'm back. Jeez those 8 year olds are dirty little hockey players :P

First I'd like to comment on the merch? It's...fucking awesome? For the first time ever I've actually LIKED the merch, especially those zip-up hoodies. I got myself a hat. And I think before my next show I'll make a point to get a Hipbase shirt. It'd be way more awesomer to go to a show with one of those.

As per usual the anticipation nearly killed me before the show. The boys came out, and Gordie asked the crowd, "are you at the lonely end of the rink?" before busting into the song.

Gordie was just...fantastic. The show was so much more high-energy, and the boys conveyed much more emotion into their performance. They seemed almost...inspired by the new material they wrote, or something. Every song was on fire. Especially compared to the 2004 show I saw, which was kickass in it's own right, but Gordie especially...no, actually all of them, just seemed way more up on their game, they obviously thoroughly enjoyed every song and it showed.

And Gordie went guitar-less for...counting...EIGHT songs in a row before picking it up for Wheat Kings. It's always a pleasure to see them do a more acoustic song without the guitar, when you know very well he could pick it up. That stretch includes Fiddler's Green (...phenomenal..), World Container, Springtime, and Long Time Running, guitarless.

Highlight of the night? Idunno. For me, it's a tie. I'm sure all other Winnipeg hipbasers would also pick the tie :P ;) It's a toss up between the 100th meridian, and this incredible scream he belted out in Blow.

During the extended jam in 100th meridian, we got no ranting. What we did get, is all I can describe as Gordie playing "war" on stage. He pulled out his gun, then "ran for cover" behind Paul. He stayed there for about a minute, hiding, poking out, shoulder checking. Then he ducked, leapt across the stage, did a somersault, and finished rolling just behind Gord S, where he hid for awhile longer, pointing his gun over Gord S' shoulder, before ducking behind Robbie for awhile. Then, out of nowhere he books it all the way around the stage, and goes behind Johnny. We couldn't see him for probably 30 seconds. Then this frantic "FIND THE DRUMMER!!! FIND THE DRUMMER! Ladies and gentlemen, if you're ever in doubt, FIND THEEE DRUUUUMEEEEEEER", and he kept going with a little mini-rant about feeling secure behind the drummer. It looked like Paul had a hard time keeping his composure and not laughing at Gord's antics :P

And the second highlight...for me anyways...was during Blow, when Gordie decided to take a rest on his mic stand. He was laying on top of it, kinda leaning like you would lean back in a chair, the mic was at about a 45 with the stage, and he spun himself around slowly. Then, totally unexpected, he lets out this scream, and I swear, I have never heard Gordie scream like that, that well, ever, sitting down no less. It was the best effing way to end the set.

And 2000 light years? Man, look at the setlist! They couldnt have picked a better song to fit in with the high-energy rock singles they cranked out all night! AWESOME!

If there was any dissapointment, it came only in setlist diversity. There were no songs from my favourite, DFN, no songs from M@W, IVL, or IBE. I was really hoping for Grace, Lake Fever, and Gus, but no dice.

Gord didn't even look tired at the end of the concert. Even after playing what they did. In 2004 he looked exhausted. What can I say? He's in shape, vocally, the difference between 2004 and now is pretty staggering if you ask me. And of you guys who;s concerts are up and coming, you can expect a refreshed Gordie after 20 songs.

Anyway....bloody amazing, I always think, "maybe this time I'll walk away from the concert and be content, like I've seen it all before". But nope. The boys will never stop amazing or impressing me. Awesome show. Can't believe I have to wait another 2 years or so to see them again here in the 'Peg.

And ending on another happy note, I brought a friend of mine who had never seen a Hip concert...or a concert at all for that matter...and, I was a little scared at first (you know, for those who have never seen Gordie...do..what..he does) but, and I quote, "That was fucking amazing. Like the best night of my life! I HAVE to see another Hip show!!"

And ONE MORE HTING!!! For you Winnipegers who read the paper, did you read the Free Press review? Gah! Drives me nuts! "Gordie's beloved Maple Leafs" WTF is that?!!!

Ok, now I'm done, we can all sleep well tonight now :P
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

anyone tape this show?
everything_is_bleak
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by everything_is_bleak »

i taped it, that was one kickass show!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

everything_is_bleak wrote:i taped it, that was one kickass show!
Excellent! Can't wait to hear it.
nutsac78
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nutsac78 »

Great work!
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

everything_is_bleak wrote:i taped it, that was one kickass show!
If you were in the middle of the first section of the floor, then I think you may have been the only one filming the entire show... From where I saw, it looked like you kept the camera steady throughout the entire concert! Good job, and best of luck preparing it for the masses!