01/19/07: Regina: Brandt Centre At Ipsco Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

I can't believe after I'm going to miss Pigeon Camera by one show. I think that and Eldorado are the two live songs I haven't heard yet that I'm hoping for most.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

wow - Pigeon is in my top five wishlist for the TO show.
that and Cordelia / 50MC / Fiddlers ...

Looks like only 18 songs listed in the main set - is there one missing?
They really should be playing 24 songs/ night like during the last tour.

I hope they play an extra 2 songs at the TO show.
yoshi
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by yoshi »

Set List written right from a copy in order
Rink
Blow
Fully
Pigeon
Family Band
ABAC
In View
Giftshop (Poers crossed Out)
Gems
W.C.
Fireworks
Meridian
38 Years Old (Sherpa crossed Out)
Kids
Poets
Wheat
Ocean
Fire in the Hole
--------------------------------------------
Drop Off
Cover (Powderfinger is what it says)
New Orleans
soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

Powderfinger!?!?!?

Man, I wish I could go to one of these shows... Wow...

Can anyone confirm that it was indeed Powderfinger? Cause that would be amaaaaaaazing...
bug_superstar79
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bug_superstar79 »

Neil Young song that sings "look out mama there's a white boat coming". It's actually a Neil song that I just got really into within the last week(off live rust)....and then the Hip played it!!!! They also played the one song I've been waiting for, The Last of the Unplucked Gems, which was the hihlight of the night (for me)
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

soquester wrote:Powderfinger!?!?!?

Man, I wish I could go to one of these shows... Wow...

Can anyone confirm that it was indeed Powderfinger? Cause that would be amaaaaaaazing...
Yeah thats incredible, I heard that song on the readio yesterday and I was actually thinking to myself how cool it would be if the Hip did a cover of that on this tour. It's almost worth the price of admission just to here the covers they are doing every night. Every one they've done so far has been different. I can't wait for the upcoming shows I'll be seeing over the coming weeks :jump :jump
cheney50mc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by cheney50mc »

^ really!? wow, I know which song you mean, that's an amazing song.
I'm normally not a big fan of covers, that just mean 1 less Hip song, I hope I recognize whatever they do in TO.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

maybe someone from the band saw the nois thread and made a statement by playing it last.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Powderfinger! Wow.... one of the all time best Neil songs IMO. Young, Cash, Dylan, Bowie, Lightfoot, Cochran.....what could be next???
FullyCompleteMe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by FullyCompleteMe »

For some context, I’ve now seen 7 shows and would be perfectly happy in hearing the Hip play only songs from their most recent CD each time. That said, the joy and elation I experienced when they played Pigeon, Gems, and 38 was unlike any bout of constipation I’d ever relieved. What I found most impressive about these lesser played tunes is that they were played impeccably and with a polish that I don’t recall often hearing when it comes to them playing classics like these. The thought of the Hip rehearsing Pigeon at this point in their careers makes me giggle.

Continuing with their sound, I’ve got to say that from where I was (row 3 on the floor, dead centre) I can’t imagine it being any better in terms of unison and balance. A special kudos goes to Baker because his guitar sang through all night and I was scared after barely hearing him on their The Hour performance last year. A last point on their sound had caught me completely off guard (maybe because I missed the IBE show?). Gord seems to have retired from the rants :(. As disappointing as this was to me at first, it allowed the band (especially Baker) to come to the forefront and be heard unlike ever before! Wow.

One of the greatest moments of the show occurred during the instrumental jam in the middle of Meridian if I recall correctly. Gord bent his mic stand (perhaps worse than than normal), so the roadie comes out with a new one. Gord straightens the first stand and proceeds with a wicked-cool dual mic stand duel (wow, that works!). After a bit he decides that he’s had enough with the first mic stand and proceeds to bend it to the point that it eventually breaks in two! This apparently wasn’t enough and so he began unscrewing the base from one of the two pieces. It was especially hilarious because it took such a long time but you could see that he was damned determined to finish the job! When all was said and done, he had done a fantastic impression of a juvenile baton twirler and fed the mic stand pieces to people in the audience! Crazy awesome!

My favourite highlight (ever!) was probably only seen by a few of us and occurred during a high-octane Fire in the Hole, which closed the set. At the very end of the song, I’ll call it the “noise” part, Baker goes up to a couple amplifiers at the back of the stage (on the riser where Johnny is), turns his guitar over, and starts shredding the strings on one of the amps for extra guitar-noise effect!!! :shock: He then lays his guitar on top of one of these amps, turns and takes a few steps toward the audience to wave good-bye, but not before he whips around to see his very expensive guitar falling and crashing from the amplifier down to the main part of the stage! He kinda waves his arms in the air in an “OH SHIT!” fashion and then turns to the audience like the pro he is with a big smile and wave. I’m laughing right now just thinking about it. You could sure tell that he loves his Ibanez guitar! :D

A few last points:
- The W.C. songs were much better received than I expected. It made me happy.
- No M@W, IVL, IBE.
- I completely disagree with the hipbaser that recently noted that the Hip are simply going through their songs as they are on CD. There were many extended songs.
- Baker, who I focused on a lot in this show due to my recent interest in guitar playing, was more into the show than I ever remember. I even saw him yell-out “SWIM!!” at one point during NOIS!
- Last night's show was as good as any Hip performance I've ever seen.
jvjones
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jvjones »

yoshi wrote:Set List written right from a copy in order
Rink
Blow
Fully
Pigeon
Family Band
ABAC
In View
Giftshop (Poers crossed Out)
Gems
W.C.
Fireworks
Meridian
38 Years Old (Sherpa crossed Out)
Kids
Poets
Wheat
Ocean
Fire in the Hole
--------------------------------------------
Drop Off
Cover (Powderfinger is what it says)
New Orleans

Yep, that is the list. Who's copy did you get? I managed to snag the sound board copy. I kind of thought that it was "Poets" crossed out, but couldn't make out "Sherpa". Good detective work! "Powder" is listed as the second encore, and I have to admit I'm not familiar with the tune...it did sound good though so I'll have to search out the song.
And how do I rate the concert...outstanding! I went in with Pistols as my top wish...didn't happen...and then you look at the list...no Nautical, no Grace Too...but that didn't matter! All of the tunes from the new album sounded great...World Container and Family Band especially...Blow as the second tune! If that doesn't get you into it...you're not trying...Gems, wow...38, double wow...a pretty varied list, and no complaints from me...Locked and Fire to close it out, and NOIS as the closer is still OK by me...only comment is that Gord should lose the guitar on NOIS. Oh, and about Gord, yeah he was on!!! Sweating up a storm, roaming the stage, apelike at a couple of occassions, going in circles, on and off the monitors, letting er rip full speed on Hundredth, endless energy.
Bauer???? I tried to find you post show...where were you hiding man!!! Please don't tell me you got back stage!!! I assume some taping was done, so I'll be PMing you shortly with a request. :-)

Limo ride was outstanding, thanks Wes, that is definitely the way to get to a show! We squeezed 9 people in and I think everyone had a great time. It's 12:30 right now, and I have a bit of a headache, may have over indulged a bit, but I'll be alright. Just realized Bauer is off to Winnipeg for tonight's show, so he won't be reading this...that's dedication!

Cheers everyone!!!!!!
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Powderfinger no way!
Spycouple
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Spycouple »

FullyCompleteMe wrote:... a wicked-cool dual mic stand duel (wow, that works!).
Nicely done! :D
bug_superstar79
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bug_superstar79 »

I was front row...and my freind got the last piece of the mic stand(top portion). We were pumped about that.
dirtyepic
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by dirtyepic »

My first Hip show, and holy !@#!@.

I missed the rants, but i think that Pigeon, Fire and Gems were enough to make up for it.