05/18/07: Erie: Warner Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

I think the Warner management should be commended for a trouble free show, which Jenna alluded to her post. The policy banning alcohol on the floor helped alot; I like to drink beer during a show, but there seems to be a minority of Hip concert goers who get boozed up and act like horse's asses. :roll: Couple of guys I saw at the show created a mini-pyramid of beers cups in a corner and were working their way through them. :roll:
Aaron91
New Maybe
New Maybe

great show

Post by Aaron91 »

this was the first time i saw them live and it rocked. i loved that they played street ighting man by the stones that was killer. also i was very happy they played my favorite song poets. i also thought gordies actions on stage were very lively especially with the mic stand.
Chris4613
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chris4613 »

Mentioned on WGR 550 this morning in Buffalo, about all the Sabres chants and the Derek Roy part in Fireworks. Apparently, Brad Riter the show's host was at the concert and talked about it this AM for a little while
pmbchase
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by pmbchase »

Chris4613 wrote:Mentioned on WGR 550 this morning in Buffalo, about all the Sabres chants and the Derek Roy part in Fireworks. Apparently, Brad Riter the show's host was at the concert and talked about it this AM for a little while
That's pretty cool. Too bad the Sabres lost. Damn Ottawa. They knocked out my Penguins and now Buffalo.
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

When I decide when to post my videos on youtube I will let you all know. I got 10 complets songs on video. Good sound too! Hopefully Youtube wont fuckem up on me.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

It's usually the way people compress the videos before uploading them to YouTube that screws up the sync of the audio & video...

I've had the best luck converting my files to MP4 and then uploading them. YouTube seems to be able to convert MP4s to Flash without any sync issues.
jodisoko
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Best Hip show of my life!

Post by jodisoko »

I absolutely agree with VioletlightHeron that the Warner made for a non-messy show thanks to the no-drinks-in-theater policy (yes, even though I like a drink in the show myself, I definitely don't like drunks spilling their drinks on me, and done to protect the nicely restored theater.)

Also thanks to johnd for posting his pics and setlist -- met ya in the back lobby after the show and you let me take a pic of the setlist myself. :thumb:

So, here's my review and the reasons why it was the best night of my life (it's taken me five days to post my review bc I'm finally coming off Cloud 9!):

Great drive down from Bflo with tth50mc from NF, CA. Drove around looking for some dive restaurant and got an abbreviated tour of Erie's lackluster industrial zone. Gave up, found the theater, parked behind it, walked around to get our "shots", then grabbed some grub at the packed Plymouth restaurant down the street. Made it in just in time to find our seats and say hi to some friends, then the band started. Absolutely loved Drop Off, Family Band, ABAC -- "this one's for the ladies/girls", and Little Bones.

Loved Gord's antics of course, as always :D

But here's the best part: we stayed after to meet the band at the tour buses. We were the last ones in line of about a dozen, getting in the way of the roadies putting the gear away, but then Paul came out, got a 'graph on a pic of the band, and a photo with him, then Robbie (same thing), he moved us around the side of the building so we wouldn't be in the way of the roadies, and spent about five minutes talking with us and signing our pics. After pouring my heart out to Robbie (ie: my divorce and how much WC "touches my soul down to the core" and more babblygook that I can't remember) he hugged me! (he said, "while I can't relate, ONE of us in the band can". While he didn't say who, I was just informed earlier that night that Gord is divorced! So, when can I get a date with him?!) Robbie is so nice!
Then Gord came out! And I froze! My friend said, think of something creative to say, not just: I like that song blahblah... Well, guess what I did! I said, thanks for playing Fly, and Little Bones. He said we didn't play that (meaning Fly). I held my hand to my head and groaned and probably mumbled something. :oops: He said, I shouldn't have said anything. I said, no, no, it just makes it more memorable. (BTW, I really meant Drop Off bc the two are next to each other on WC and I sometimes am dyslexic with title names!) Then he signed my pic, even asking my name and put "Jodi's band" on it, and put his arm around me and squeezed me tight for the photo. Then I stood there with my mouth gapping wide looking like a complete idiot! :shock:

So the next two hours and 100 hours later I'm still kicking myself in the ass! Now for some reason I think posting it publicly for the whole hipbase to see will help me get over this sooner?! :lol:
Then the bodyguard said, that's it folks, they're all in the buses. But my friend said, Johnny didn't come back out yet (someone in the gang waiting said Johnny came out first and went on the bus but went back inside). Everybody else left, but we hung out a few more minutes, and Johnny appeared out of nowhere, punching his code into the bus door, and my friend said, "Johnny! Can we get an autograph." He obliged, but we didn't get pics with him bc it was prob asking too much. He even meticiously signed a little stick figure drummer on my friend's pic!
Maybe not the best Hip concert of my life (lost count, think I'm over 20 now -- was 6th show in 8 months) -- yes, the sound was not that good and couldn't hear Robbie's solos hardly at all, bc I was near Paul (row F, middle section, end seat on left) -- but the best overall Hip experience of my life!
Thanks tth50mc!
See ya'll in Lewiston -- both shows!

PS. Also, saw the dad and his 10-year-old daughter who got VIP treatment (he's posted under the regular forum link of Erie PA show, not show reviews). Way to go! Don't you just love the Hip for that?!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Great post jodisoko! Your story just warmed my heart on an otherwise crappy day.
Almost Hip
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Almost Hip »

I was there with my brother and a few other Erie Otters taking in the show, what a great venue, twist and death were unbelievable, here's my recording of rink, sorry we don't sound as good as Gord but it was end of the concert and we were struggling to sing along at the top of our lungs at that point

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 0&hl=en-CA
tth50mc
New Maybe
New Maybe

It was great to meet the boys from kingston!

Post by tth50mc »

One of the reasons why i like these kind of shows is the opportunity to meet the band after the show, me being from ontario... those chances aren't really there when they play the ACC or as such.

First off thanks to jodisoko for offering me a ticket to come. Erie wasn't even on my radar but when the offer came around... it was too good to refuse! :thumb:

Jodisoko... you nailed about every single detail... (few posts above mine).. thanks again for the fun times and i didn't even mind the tour of the Erie industrial section. lol. no doubt mapquest was wrong.

My thoughts on the show... i'm in the mid 20's timer myself. the venue was nice, i didn't think the crowd was to energenic.. especially around me (1/2 way back from the stage). I'm just happy everyone stood up. when the boys hit the stage a whole middle section was empty (5-6 rows easily). I guess everyone was pounding back their beerz. The Hip played a good mix and 100th Meridian wasn't on the setlist which is a first for me! So the usual rant song was missing which i think has been a staple for them for well over the past 7 - 8 years (from what i can remember). I think IOD replaced it for that part. Show seemed to be over fast too... it flew by and it couldn't have been much more than 90 mins long with the encore. But it was still great... just a tad lower on the greatness scale than to some other venues i've been too.

I just want to say my 2 cents about cover tunes. they are ok but i'd rather here them pull out something like highway girl... when the weight comes down... another midnight.... looking for a place to happen. i'd prefer to hear a hip tune that we never get to hear. but wouldnt it be interesting if they covered a Gord solo song like chancellor or canada geese. just a thought! :wink:

anyways after the show me and jodisoko went to a bar for a couple pops b4 heading for autographs. it was kinda goofy in there... think it was some girl's grad party. lol. it was a little much in there. you guys in PA gotta cut out the smoking in bars! yikes!

So meeting the band was great. Jodisoko melted for Robbie and Gord D. I believe she stated to Robbie that he is the most sexy man she's met. lol. Believe me he took it all in stride. lol! He was super nice and we chatted about his dobro's (sp?) that he plays for wheat kings lately. He has 2 of them and he played one for the recording and plays the other in the concerts. We talked to him for 5 mins around the corner... he signed all our stuff... Robbie is the best. We even had a laugh about his orange "Tequila Patron" shirt. After him was Gord Downie. I got interesting one from him... To Mike's Singer of Songs.

Jodisoko - huge thanks!!!... for being the "tour guide" and great company and the ride from Buff to Erie... taking awesome pics with me and the crew from Kingston... and the rest :D I wish Gord Sinclair was around to sign your band photo. We'll get him next time! The band is all class and just makes it that much better they appreciate their fans and take the extra minute for conversation. What a great night and made me even happier to get Jodisoko out there for her rookie experience of autographs / getting pics and rubbing elbows with the boys. It's a great story to be retold many times of the best band around.
pmbchase
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by pmbchase »

It's up on the hiptracker:

http://www.thehiptracker.com/torrents-d ... php?id=394

The Tragically Hip
The Warner Theatre
Erie, Pennsylvania
May 18, 2007

Taper: Matt Chase
Source: Studio Projects C4's (cards) > Edirol UA-5 (Tmod) > Nomad JB3
Conversion: JB3 > USB > Creative Play Center > CD Wave > Flac
Location: Section 204, Row A, Seats 3 & 4 (front row balcony)

Disc 1
01 Twist My Arm
02 In View
03 Lake Fever
04 The Drop Off
05 Ahead By A Century
06 Poets
07 The Kids Don't Get It
08 The Dire Wolf
09 World Container
10 Inevitability of Death

Disc 2
01 New Orleans Is Sinking
02 Long Time Running
03 Fireworks
04 Family Band
05 Blow At High Dough
Encore
06 Encore Break
07 Street Fightin' Man *
08 Little Bones

* Rolling Stones cover

Notes: Missing the first song Yer Not the Ocean and the beginning of Twist
My Arm.
Vingal10
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Vingal10 »

Great set. Great night.
Love this tour so far!
Drez - Thanks for the awesome second row seats!

Vinny