05/14/07: Minneapolis: First Avenue

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

05/14/07: Minneapolis: First Avenue

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

See you there- I'll be the tall skinny guy hopefully near the front with a blue adidas hat!
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Started off as a magic night. Great crowd, great venue, and the band was into it. First seven or eight songs were killer. Personal highlights were Nashville, Boots and Nautical (a really great version -- gave me chills). Next comes Daredevil, and the setlist just keeps getting better. Unfortunately, in the middle of Daredevil, Downie got pegged in the chest/face/??? (others who were closer will need to fill in the details) with a red T-shirt. Made him so f'ing mad, as he made clear to whoever threw the shirt. "Fck you. Fck you" he mouthed to the thrower as he broke the strings on two successive guitars. Then when the song was over, he threw the shirt back at the guy, with a few more choice expletives and something about "getting my teeth knocked out" many times over the years.

Well, the vibe was gone. Downie trudged through the rest of the show, and picked it up again for Little Bones and the encore (Replacements!). But you just got the feeing the show could have been so much more. As he said during the song after Daredevil: "A spell had been cast, and now it's gone. What do you want me to do?"

On to Madison, hoping the crowd keeps their Tshirts harnessed...

Here's as much of the setlist as I can remember right now -- it's close but definitely not quite right. Seemed like there were at least a couple of taping setups near the sound board:
[EDIT: I'm correcting this for posterity's sake. Thanks to brad on hipfans.com]

You're Not The Ocean
Fully Completely
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Boots Or Hearts
The Kids Don't Get It
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Family Band
Hiccups >> Daredevil
World Container
Springtime In Vienna
New Orleans Is Sinking
Sherpa
In View
Gift Shop
Little Bones

Encore:
Grace Too
Bastards Of Young (Replacements cover)
Lonely End Of The Rink
Last edited by sullivand on Wed May 16, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

You got all the songs on the setlist, Im not sure about the order (my buddy got the setlist Ill double check tomorrow, maybe post a pic)

I agree, the show was heading in good directions before the shirt hit Gord in the face, some JA about fifth row felt the need to take off his shirt and throw it at Gord. "Here's your fucking shirt back, and f**k you."

I think World Container was the perfect song to rebound from that catastrophe though, all that negative energy fits well into the sarcastic tone of World Container and it got turned around.

There's a lot of dumb people in the world. Some guy had way too many beers right behind me and decided he would take a pee right there. Luckily security kicked him out but I did push him back by his throat first.

The night was saved when Mr. Fay gave me his drumsticks at the end of the night. I knew he was going to bc I was in the same place at Chicago with the same hat, and I'm sure he noticed me both nights. Pretty cool they say "Johnny Fay" and "The Tragically Hip" on 'em.

Amazing setlist, this show blew Chicago night 2 out of the water.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

edit: ahh im getting some bug on hipbase, sorry
Last edited by FighterAndLover on Tue May 15, 2007 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

sorry for the triple post :(
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Bastards of Young? That's awesome...Anyone interested in another version of that track should check out Against Me!'s cover of the tune...

Anyway, serious drag about some f**k killin' Gord's mojo...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

A t-shirt though? He got that mad over a t-shirt?
Gord usually revels in that kind of thing...I am completely surprised by the reaction.

Unless it was MUCH worse then you are detailing above...was the t-shirt soaked in pee and caked in beer? That would be enough for anyone to snap like that!
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Well, the t-shirt did hit Gord in the face while he was playing guitar causing him to mess up the chorus and break two guitar strings. I think we all know how frustrated he gets after breaking guitar strings, too.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:A t-shirt though? He got that mad over a t-shirt?
Gord usually revels in that kind of thing...I am completely surprised by the reaction.

Unless it was MUCH worse then you are detailing above...was the t-shirt soaked in pee and caked in beer? That would be enough for anyone to snap like that!
Doesn't surprise me one bit that Gord would be so irked to get some asshole's t-shirt in his face. Like the man said, can you imagine how many times over the years he's had to deal with that kind of crap? It might be different if Gord was one of these guys who "mails it in" half the time, but no -- he goes out there and leaves it all on the stage every single night. And in return, he gets some sweaty idiot's clothes thrown in his grill? What kind of show of appreciation is that, anyway?

If it pisses me off (and it does), I would only expect Gord to be incensed.

I've been to literally hundreds of concerts, and the only clothing I've EVER seen hurled onstage from the crowd were women's "intimates", which, albeit a cliche form of flattery, is still pretty stupid.

But what kind of DUDE throws the shirt he's wearing at the MALE frontman??

:scratch:
Woodrov
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Woodrov »

Hiccups/Daredevil is making a ressurgence!

Nice. I'm hoping like hell to see that performed outdoors in Marymoor/Seattle in about 2 months time.
Woodrov
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Woodrov »

double post... apologies.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

Woodrov wrote:Hiccups/Daredevil is making a ressurgence!

Nice. I'm hoping like hell to see that performed outdoors in Marymoor/Seattle in about 2 months time.
was this Hiccups just the music, or were there lyrics as well???
Christian Schutz
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Christian Schutz »

Just the music. It was performed in true jam fashion. Daredevil to follow it up was ferocious, crisp, and (unfortunately) a tad tainted by the idiot who chucked his T at Gord.
Christian Schutz
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Christian Schutz »

Just the music. It was performed in true jam fashion. Daredevil to follow it up was ferocious, crisp, and (unfortunately) a tad tainted by the idiot who chucked his T at Gord.