05/10/07: Indianapolis: The Vogue

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

chris wrote:
sullivand wrote:
chris wrote:At least one well known taper was in attendance...
Excellent news -- thanks. Any chance this well-known taper is travelling to any more shows this week?
I think so... but am not positive.
Good enough -- thanks again.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

Just got back into St. Louis a few hours ago. Fantastic show last night. Setlist was pretty standard - though I had never heard LTR or Fire in the Hole live before, so that was pretty awesome. A little disappointed that neither Luv nor Drop-Off made their way into the set, but that is small potatoes. Very very cool venue. By far the smallest Hip show I've been to - the rest have been in Canada. The wife and I were able to show up early and snag a table on the bottom level to the right of the stage. Had a clear view from our seats the whole show. Thought I spotted some fellow Hipbasers seated at the other side of the bar before the show started (Jenna and Simon?) but couldn't be certain - I know there were a few Hipbasers there. Wintersleep was very good - it was definitely worth it to watch the drummer, as a few of you advised. The Hip were very tight last night. Rink was a special highlight. Katie and I were commenting on the way home today that, vocally, Gord was very good last night. Helter Skelter (Beatles, everyone, BEATLES!) was not very good, Gord kind of butchered it, but the show was not about the cover. Would definitely head back to that venue again. We estimated somewhere around 400-500 people there. Anyone else with a decent guess? Our waitress commented to us that the crowd was unusually rowdy and energetic last night. We had some drunk girls behind us who were dancing through the whole show and began to sing the Canadian anthem at one point. All in all, a very wonderful evening.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

briansmccabe wrote:
spottrax wrote:Or a U2 song....
That's right - U2 covered this Crue classic as well.
you are kidding right
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

opiated wrote:
briansmccabe wrote:
spottrax wrote:Or a U2 song....
That's right - U2 covered this Crue classic as well.
you are kidding right
What do you think?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just posted The Hip's version to www.Hipfans.com - thanks markslog!
thefiercelime
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by thefiercelime »

I concur that there were about 400-500 people there. Not bad, considering, when I first saw the Hip in the early 90s at the Newport in Columbus, Ohio, there were more like 250 people. That was back when Gord barely moved and had a beard and some extra weight. I thought the set was great and loved the Fire in the Hole/Helter Skelter finish. I'm amazed how well his voice holds up during tours. Sounded great. His performance was passionate and honest and even humorous, at times. What else can you ask for from rock and roll? The band was tight as ever- without being too tight- that's for amateurs.

Always worth the trip- drove from Columbus to Indy to see them with the Who, too (which isn't a bad drive, really- 2hrs.45mins.).