04/29/07: Washington: 9:30 Club

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

04/29/07: Washington: 9:30 Club

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
bhaley29
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Show start time?

Post by bhaley29 »

Anyone know what time they have been taking the stage during this tour? Don't want to miss a note! :jump
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

Wooooo it was amazing! Coherent post/reivew to come tomorrow. fully. completely.
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

Set list, in order.

View
M@W
Grace
Gus
Drop
ABAC
Ocean
Twist
WC
Wheat
NOIS
Good Life
Kids
Vienna
BobC
Blow

Young Americans - Bowie cover
Family Band

There were 2 songs on the setlist that weren't played. Rink was supposed to be after BobC, and Bones was to be the final song. At the end of the main set Gord said "this is the sweatiest fucking show we've ever played" so I don't know if that had anything to do with shortening the show.

Young Americans was awesome, a great choice. Talked to Johnny afterwards and he said that its not an easy song to play and it was far from perfect but they did a decent job with it. They certainly looked like they were having fun playing it. So many lyrics that Gord had 2 pages taped to his monitors.

It was one helluva weekend. Great to see and hang out with so many people I had met at previous shows.
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

Didn't see you, gentoo. I did meet a group of ex-pats having a bridal shower. They were fun, but they never shut up. They kept holding up a shirt, and when Gord came over towards them (during Kids) two of them flashed Gord, leaving him rather surprised.

Anyway, Gord was absolutely on fire last night. Probably in the literal sense. At one point during ABAC he's playing guitar in profile to the audience, and you see sweat just dripping - off his hat, his head, even off the guitar - the man's a fountain. World Container sounds awesome live. Really good to hear Wheat Kings, Twist My Arm and Springtime in Vienna(!!)
smakawhat
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by smakawhat »

I moved down to DC 7 years ago from Winnipeg, I live at the 9:30 club practicaly and finally decided to see the Hip there even though I am not that huge of a fan.

Was a good show glad to see them in a small venue like that which I think is really the only appropriate place to enjoy that band.

The show also ironically made me confirm that Buffalo Sabres fans are just flat out annoying... :mrgreen:
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

smakawhat wrote: The show also ironically made me confirm that Buffalo Sabres fans are just flat out annoying... :mrgreen:
Oh, come on, that was hilarious.
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

smakawhat wrote:
The show also ironically made me confirm that Buffalo Sabres fans are just flat out annoying... :mrgreen:
I'm a Sabres fan and got the flu Sat. night, thereby missing the show last night. So there was one less anoying person there! :mrgreen:
skelty
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by skelty »

Great show with lots of energy. I went with two friends who had never seen them live before and both were in awe of Gord's non-stop action. I've never seen a human sweat that much before in my life.
DWarner
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by DWarner »

Regarding the sweat, I noticed at the AC show that a piece of plexi-glass is taped over Gord's set list. I assume this is to keep it dry and legible.
Hard Canadian
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hard Canadian »

no way! young americans? thats awesome!
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Hey Smaka, Huge sabres fan here. If you spent your whole life trying to win a super bowl or a stanley cup and the only thing you have is "wide right" or "no goal", I think you would be a little excited too.

Give us a break and let us enjoy the moment.
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

Well said, Brian!!
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

brian1175 wrote:Hey Smaka, Huge sabres fan here. If you spent your whole life trying to win a super bowl or a stanley cup and the only thing you have is "wide right" or "no goal", I think you would be a little excited too.

Give us a break and let us enjoy the moment.
So help me understand -

How exactly does the lack of a football or hockey championship give Buffalonians a license to act like savage fools at a rock concert?

I think Philly fans would qualify for the same license, but the only place I see Philly fans behaving badly is at the actual sporting events themselves....
girthy69
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by girthy69 »

Poor Buffalo fans. I met a couple at the NYC show and they seemed nice. Although we were some crazy Ottawa fans. LOL!
Just hope the Sens don't meet the Sabres in the Eastern final.