04/29/07: Washington: 9:30 Club

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but what exactly did the Sabres fans do at the show?
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

I think his point of the sabres fans acting obnoxious is the " lets go sabres" chants and what not.
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

brian1175 wrote:the " lets go sabres" chants and what not.
Thanks -- just looking for some context.

Getting back to this show and the heat and the sweat... It reminds me of night 1 of the July 2000 shows at the 9:30 Club, when Downie complained about how much he was sweating. Quote (thanks to killerwhaletank.com):

"There's just too much water, in DC. There's just too much f*ckin' water here. Why don't you need any more? It's just a bit salty. It's come from up above through the volcano of my body, and ravaged across the canyon floor. The birdhouse is full of water, for chrissakes."
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

Heard Young Americans ( i thought it would be the cover that nite.) at sound check in Philly ironically while talking to a guy and his family at the side door of TLA. he wasn't going to the show but was at the fye free show in Buffalo.
bhaley29
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bhaley29 »

:thumb:
world container was perfect. it sounded great in person. i personally liked seeing; gus, kids & bobcaygeon.....david bowie, great cover. i actually heard that song on the radio while driving up from charlotte...scanning channels & stopping to hear the last 30 seconds of a good song. so it was extra cool to hear it. family band closer was right on too. my wife & i stood against the railing of the balcony in the upper mez. perfect view (in view).....
it was pretty hot in there.
the buffalo fans were funny.....wonder where all the caps fans were????
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

bhaley29 wrote: the buffalo fans were funny.....wonder where all the caps fans were????
Outnumbered in our own building, just like normal. :(

And SoylentGreg, I was wondering if you'd be there and sorry I missed seeing you. Not sure exactly where you were but John Cage and I were right up front facing Sinclair. Unlike in Philly, there wasn't any drunk obnoxious assholes nearby, which was quite nice. I think I still have bruises from Philly.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Sounds like a good night - I'd love to have been there (it was my birthday that day and that would have been a perfect present! 8))
hipnotherapist
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by hipnotherapist »

[quote="SoylentGreg"] I did meet a group of ex-pats having a bridal shower. They were fun, but they never shut up. They kept holding up a shirt, and when Gord came over towards them (during Kids) two of them flashed Gord, leaving him rather surprised.

If I'm thinking of the same incident and group of women, I have a different version of what happened. Gord was giving away one of his handkerchiefs and handed it to Joanna standing in the front row beside me. She flattened it out and put it on the railing between us, on top of our jean jackets and tucked slightly under our arms. Next thing I know, this woman grabs the hankie, starts waving it around, and is yelling woohoo! Just completely stole it from us. I turned around and grabbed her to tell her it was given to us/Joanna but she was drunk out of control. Joanna tried to say something to her and the woman looked like she was getting ready to punch Jo. Then, a nice person standing behind me wrestled her for the hankie, got it, and handed it back to us. In the meantime, Kids was playing, and Gord was looking at us as if to say, "What the hell? That girl is crazy!" And then he sang the line "The kids don't get it" while looking right at her. Apparently they all had on the same shirts and were holding their shirts up for Gord to read. In her drunken state she thought Gord was admiring her. Oh, the drama. Luckily it only took a few seconds out of my show enjoyment.
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Where were the cap fans??? LMAO
I dont think the 20 cap fans know who the Tragically Hip are.

Moving from Buffalo to DC/Bmore area sure has been a culture shock.
Instead of pizza/wings & hockey you have crabs & Nascar.......
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

Brian, I grew up in Buffalo but my parents and extended family are from DC....I have had to endure the crab feasts from birth. LOL
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

brian1175 wrote:Where were the cap fans??? LMAO
I dont think the 20 cap fans know who the Tragically Hip are.
Believe it or not, I was at a Caps game at the Verizon Center a few years ago and Little Bones was played over the PA in between periods. I nearly fell out of my seat in shock. And besides me, there are at least 5 other Caps fans that I know of who are Hip fans. I know, I know, its not like Buffalo, but we do exist! :)
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

hipnotherapist wrote:Well, actually...
Alright. To be fair, I was about three rows behind all this when it happened, and just saw shirts being raised. Those shirts were pretty lame, even though I got a kick out of "Blows For Dough."

Gentoo, I was about 6-7 rows back, right between Langlois and Gord. I wasn't too enthusiastic about wrestling the crowd to get a better spot.

As an aside, what's up with Gord thanking "most of you" at the end of every show on this tour? Did somebody give the boys shit after a show or something?
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

SoylentGreg wrote:As an aside, what's up with Gord thanking "most of you" at the end of every show on this tour?
I think Gord is really tired of the boorish behavior of people at gigs (granted it's a minority but seems to be growing). Did he tell those girls to "Fuk off"?

DC gig wasn't one of my favorites - it was just ok. What is it with The 9:30 and shortened setlists ('04 was cut due to a stupid late show)?

Good to see all my East Coast friends again and meet some new ones, too. :thumb:
bhaley29
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bhaley29 »

shows at 9:30 typically end before midningt. i've seen a few shows that ended early there. I saw Mastodon a few months back & we were out by 10:30.
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

I wonder if it's because the last subway Sunday - Thursday leaves a little before midnight?
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more