04/28/07: Philadephia: Theatre of Living Arts

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

04/28/07: Philadephia: Theatre of Living Arts

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Just thought I would give this a bump. Getting pumped.....
gentoo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gentoo »

Set list, and for once its complete and in order (because I got one :) ) -

Ocean
NOIS
Fully
Good Life
Rink
ABAC
Gift
Puttin
Long Time
Pretend
Meridian
Thugs
Kids
Courage
Fiddlers
View

Summer
Dead Flowers - Stones cover
Family Band

Place was packed and pretty crazy, definitely not the laid back vibe of last night. Caught the notice of Gord a few times, and at the end he said thanks to "most of you". Thugs was easily the highlight for me, gave Sinclair a thumbs up for that one. Took a bunch of photos, we'll see if any are decent.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

cool set,

dead flowers is a wicked tune
Mikea
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Mikea »

Easily the worst crowd I have seen in years. Very 1995. Lots of drunken flag-wavers in Leafs jersey's and obnoxious pogo'ing.

[img]
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

I don't get caught up on what the crowd is doing. There were a lot of flags, yeah, but they weren't blocking my view. I guess if I couldn't see because of them, that would suck. But I was three rows back, and it was awesome. Thought the set list was great, band sounded great, and they rocked the hell out of Locked....great show. Guy next to me kept yelling for Nautical Disaster...if anyone was within a 15 foot radius of this guy, you heard him...that will give you an idea of where I was. DC TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kincher
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Kincher »

woohooo dead flowers one of my favs can't wait to get a chance to hear it ..... fingers crossed
jackstraw
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jackstraw »

The show itself was good 8) . I agree that it was the worst crowd in YEARS :x . Gord also did not seemed pleased. Flag waving, pushing constantly. I went to HOB AC the night before and had a much better experience.

The Kids Don't Get It, specifically those Canadian concert goers........ We all Love the Hip, that is why we are there. Be respectful of the band and other people.
Last edited by jackstraw on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHebe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by SteveHebe »

Let's not put all the blame on our "flag & jersey waving" friends from the north...yea, I was behind one of them and he and his friends pissed me off to the point that I ended up watching the last 8-10 songs standing next to the lighting guy all the way in the back! But let’s not overlook some of the a$$hole Sabres fans that were there too!

Bottom line is too many people think that getting bombed is a perquisite to enjoying a show, consequently they forget how to act human in public. Good for Gordy for blasting those idiots looking to fight halfway into the show.
tnannic
New Maybe
New Maybe

Philadelphia fans

Post by tnannic »

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was really taken aback by the behavior of all the drunk meatheads were at the (Fillmore) TLAshow. This was the fourth time I had seen the Hip in Philly (previously at the TLA and Troc), but I had never seen anything like this before. It really put a damper on the evening for me, and I was actually a bit embarrased that Gord had to chide the crowd and that this was the first show for two of my friends.

I loved the World Cafe Live show, except there was one guy that was totally out of control standing directly in front of me. (You might have seen him when Gord humored him by letting him strum his guitar.) Well, in between songs, this guy was screaming nonsensical stuff on end until at one point he shouted--I have no idea why--"It puts the lotion in the basket," which prompted Gord to shoot the guy the nastiest look I've ever seen him give someone.

What is it about Philly? I live here and I still don't get it. On the next tour, I will definitely be making the trip to Atlantic City so I don't have to put up with this baloney again.

PS: In response to a previous post about Gord being wilder in 1993. I never saw them back then; was he really more intense on stage than he is now? I find it hard to believe, but it sounds cool. What was different about his performances 10-15 years ago?
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

tnannic....download the ARA 1993 show from Markham...i'm sure some of it is on youtube somewhere too...you'll see!!!
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

gentoo wrote: Dead Flowers - Stones cover
Awesome! :thumb:
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

jgardz thanks for the heads up on that idea to look for ARA 1993 on youtube. I was at the 93 and 95 show with my wife and were up front and centre in the sweaty hot crazy crowd. I have often told my daughter about how it was but until you see the crowd on video words dont do it justice. I showed her this video and she was like " o my god, you were up there" I love that scene.
I call it "Controlled Chaos" it was chaos but it was surrounded by a fence around the fairgrounds. I love a crazy crowd and the feel of it. Pushing agianst you and moving you against your will, till you have to look up to the sky to try to suck down some cool air and hope you dont pass out. The projectiles all around you the bodies landing on top of you. The orgasmic scream of the crowd as a new song begins it all over agian. The screams form those around you trying to escape and get out, forward, backward to the sides , anywhere just out. Those were the days. Those were the shows. about 30,000 people and they all wanted our spot front and center.
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: Philadelphia fans

Post by mcwslc »

tnannic wrote: What was different about his performances 10-15 years ago?
Hallucinogens? :?

Like jgardz mentioned, the ’93 Markham show captures the antics I was referring to 15+ years ago. I’ve shown that video to many people who’ve only seen them live in recent years and the response is pretty much the same, “Holly s**t, what the f*** is this?”. The line, “There’s this fuckin band you gotta see, they used to scare the living shit outta me” from An inch an hour pretty much sums up my first show.

The lasting impression I have from ’93 was Gord on stage with a blue spotlight shinning on him as he leaned back and played the drums on his chest causing the sweat to spray off his body like a sprinkler, right in time with the music. Not to mention running around the stage acting like a gorilla, telling bizarre stories before/during/after each song, and the fact that he was never anchored to the front of the stage playing the guitar.

Regardless of all the above I reiterate the 7 shows I’ve seen since July ’06 are some of the best ever.
knightrider
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: Philadelphia fans

Post by knightrider »

mcwslc wrote: and the fact that he was never anchored to the front of the stage playing the guitar.
I've never been a fan of Gord's guitar anchoring him in front of the mic. And I'm not sure it is even remotely in the sound mix. I'd guess most of you feel the same. But I guess it gives him a chance to regroup for more antics when he puts it down. Oh well, he can do whatever makes him happy of course. I am curious what his thoughts or motivations are about it tho - and the band's.