04/24/07: New York: Irving Plaza

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

04/24/07: New York: Irving Plaza

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

So who is going to this

is there a pre drinking whole for canucks in the us ?

I am predicting just like those tom thumb blues
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

im game for chilling at a bar before the show. i fly out in the am... where good round there?
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Its in union sq so there are lots of options

I will think of somethng i know there is a brewery on the north east side of the park forget the nam e
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

I recommend Petes Tavern

Pete's Tavern

44 reviews

129 E 18th St
New York, NY 10003

(212) 473-7676

I know a bunch of canucks are meeting there

Does anyone know what time the hip come on at ?
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Great show the band was really into it

No real rants from gord
ran into Billy ray by fluke outside said everyone brought there wives!

set list from what i remember after ?? drinks (no order)

Oceans
nois
Fully
lake fever
in view
family band
pretend
wheat kings
bob
springtime
hundred (no rant just sitting on the mic stand)
Kids dont get it
drop off
ahead by a century

cover no idea
lonely end of the rink

I know i forgot a ton
T

The show was great band was into it . Crowd was kinda lame had a great hip baser next to me who got some great pics, gord was crazy as always. But the crows was so chilled and everyone there seemed to have been dragged there cause of their gf. Lots of serious protection going on ! and also soom stranges dudes yelling at people for smoking during the concert! Its a rock show get over it !

Great time and nice to see some canucks at the show!

I am soooo tired

Someone please give them a real set list

blough
n
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

From what I've got...

Ocean
New O
Fully
Drop Off
Gus
BobC
Poets
Family Band
Wheat
Pretend
Meridian
Long Time
Kids
Springtime
Kids
ABAC
View
Blow
---
(Cover...Swore it was Dylan...Rob played that mandolin thing he used during In View at the Holiday Jam...)
Rink
Fire

Solid show...Gord and Billy Ray have a serious synergy...Gord would toss a hanky into the crowd, spin and catch another from Billy, lurking in the shadows...

But...in 30 shows, this I say without a trace of regret...The Cons blew Das Hips outta the water...I think I ever knew that before Das Hips took the stage...The Cons came out with this movie screen still blocking the entire stage...Thy start tuning up, and fucking tear through a set laced with two new tunes...Spoke t'Will, the keyboardist after...they're called "Hard Feelings" and "Shower of Stones"...The first of which could be better than anything on Canadian radio these days...A tune with a real swagger and sway to it...

Good crowd, much tamer than I'd thought, given the heavy contingent of meatheads milling about before the show...The "Fillmore East" as they call it, what a room...Anyway, here's hoping for more tomorrow...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

Great versions of Long Time Running and In View. Packed house not too much room.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The Heron Outside wrote:From what I've got...

Ocean
New O
Fully
Drop Off
Gus
BobC
Poets
Family Band
Wheat
Pretend
Meridian
Long Time
Kids
Springtime
Kids
ABAC
View
Blow
---
(Cover...Swore it was Dylan...Rob played that mandolin thing he used during In View at the Holiday Jam...)
Rink
Fire

Solid show...Gord and Billy Ray have a serious synergy...Gord would toss a hanky into the crowd, spin and catch another from Billy, lurking in the shadows...

But...in 30 shows, this I say without a trace of regret...The Cons blew Das Hips outta the water...I think I ever knew that before Das Hips took the stage...The Cons came out with this movie screen still blocking the entire stage...Thy start tuning up, and fucking tear through a set laced with two new tunes...Spoke t'Will, the keyboardist after...they're called "Hard Feelings" and "Shower of Stones"...The first of which could be better than anything on Canadian radio these days...A tune with a real swagger and sway to it...

Good crowd, much tamer than I'd thought, given the heavy contingent of meatheads milling about before the show...The "Fillmore East" as they call it, what a room...Anyway, here's hoping for more tomorrow...
I'm sure they didn't play kids twice did they?
chukstik
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by chukstik »

No, they certainly didn't play Kids Don't Get It twice...but I'm stumped trying to remember what song might belong in either of those spots. There's defintiely one missing. I remember Gord started "Ahead by a Century" by slowing it down and saying "this one's for the girls...because they're really ahead by a century"...so it must have been a faster tune just before that, although that very well could have been Kids. Sigh. I can't remember.

Great show, although yes, the crowd was very sedate. Guess I'm guilty as well -- I had my wife with me and she was exhausted, so I spent more time holding her up than dancing along like I would have liked. Crowd finally got into a few tunes, most notably Bobcaygeon, Hundredth Meridian (despite Gord's weird 4-minute car-driving routine sitting down out of view on the stage), and Blow at High Dough, but most folks watched unmoving. Sad, really, when I think back to a decade and a half of Hip shows I've been to with the whole crowd bouncing along as a solid mass.

But I guess we're all getting old ("the bad news is you can be smaller than that..."). It's funny to think back to the first time I saw the Hip play Irving Plaza, back in '94, I think? Everyone there was a young college kid, we crowd surfed, stage dove, and went crazy. Last night I saw maybe half a dozen college kids, and lots of folks with gray hair or little hair at all...not that there's anything wrong with that, that'll be me soon enough. Just an observation on changing demographics.

I unfortunately had to run before the encore (I'm old too: had to get home to relieve the babysitter), so I didn't hear if Gord was OK after his spill onstage during Dough -- I'm assuming he was if he did an encore, although if they only did 3 tunes, maybe he was hurting a bit.

To the guy who said Constantines blew the Hip out of the water, I most repsectfully say not a chance. I'd never seen 'em before, and I was unimpressed. They were OK, even slightly better in the genre of opening bands, but nothing special. Too discordant, and no real charisma. The second the hip took the stage, Gord's natural cahrisma sucked you right in.

I hope "Family Band' becomes a Hip show regular -- it's a great tune live.

OK, enough rambling. I'll post again if I can remember that missing song...
headstoner
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by headstoner »

thanks for telling us about the cons.

j
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

couldnt agree more about how lame the crowd was

great show though

I did not see gord bail on blow

lets see what happens tonight

anyone know what the cover was ?
chukstik
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by chukstik »

Maybe the cover was "The Weight" by The Band? (Again, I left just after Dough, so I missed it, but that might explain why you thought it might have been a Dylan tune.)

The only reason I think that is that the Hip so rarely do covers of other people's stuff, but they've done that one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86h72euAEug
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

No, it wasn't The Weight...The only distinct lyric I can remember is something about Martin Luther King (And no, it wasn't Pride)...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

They Killed Him by Kris Kristofferson?
Dylan covered that tune.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston