04/24/07: New York: Irving Plaza

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

The Heron Outside wrote:No, it wasn't The Weight...The only distinct lyric I can remember is something about Martin Luther King (And no, it wasn't Pride)...
Isn't Marting Luther King referred to in "I Shall Be Free" also?? Its been a while since I listened to that song, will have to dig the album out when I get home.............
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

I try to pride myself on not complaining however I was surprised at the last two set lists in Lancaster and NYC nite 1.
12 songs repeated. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed both nights however the effort to make it to the shows and struggle through work the next day are usually rewarded with a huge variety from the catalog. Am I setting my expectations too high?
Am I out of line here?
girthy69
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by girthy69 »

What time did the hip hit the stage last night?

Thanks,
justin
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by justin »

10:16
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I'm still thinking it's They Killed Him by Kris Kristofferson.
I'll search the lyrics, and post them. Maybe somebody can confirm.

EDIT:
Lyrics:
There was a man named Mahatma Ghandi
He would not bow down, he would not fight
He knew the deal was down and dirty
And nothing wrong could make it right away

But he knew his duty, and the price he had to pay
Just another holy man who tried to make a stand
My god! They killed him!

Another man from Atlanta, Georgia
By the name of Martin Luther King
He shook the land like rolling thunder
And made the bells of freedom ring today

With a dream of beauty that they could not burn away
Just another holy man who dared to be a friend
My god! They killed him!

The only son of God Almighty
The holy one called Jesus Christ
Healed the lame and fed the hungry
And for his love they took his life away

On the road to glory where the story never ends
Just the holy son of man we'll never understand
My god! They killed him!

Sing about Mahatma Ghandi
Sing of Martin Luther King
Sing Of Jesus Christ Almighty
And the brothers Kennedy
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

This from my very kick-ass roommate who was there last night and plans on donating her "Paul kicks ass" shirt to Paul tonight:

It was Johnny Appleseed by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. You can listen to a little piece of it... check it:

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Go-Go-Joe- ... 04-3874465

Funny, her guess was the cover would either be The Clash or The Ramones. You know, the whole NY thing. Joe is the only active member of The Clash, I believe. Go Ryan!!!
wolf

Post by wolf »

mcgraw68 wrote:I try to pride myself on not complaining however I was surprised at the last two set lists in Lancaster and NYC nite 1.
12 songs repeated. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed both nights however the effort to make it to the shows and struggle through work the next day are usually rewarded with a huge variety from the catalog. Am I setting my expectations too high?
Am I out of line here?
I hear you. I hate to complain too, because I love the band and I continue to attend shows but they don't change it up enough. I was there last night and will be again tonight and I won't be surpsrised to hear 10 of the same songs. For a band with as much material as the they have their sets have almost no variety. I do like that they added covers on this tour though (though I don't know what the cover was last night).

Also, I've also always kind of wondered why they shows aren't a little longer. 19 songs isn't all that much. It's not like any of their songs are 10 minute epics. They only jam out one or two songs a night. Pearl Jam, whose members are close in age to the Hip, play nearly 30 songs every night.

Again, it pains me to make these complaints because the shows are great while they last and I'll still go see the Hip every time they pass through town (tonight will be my tenth Hip show) but they've always left me wanting more variety and a few more songs.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

wolf wrote:
mcgraw68 wrote:I try to pride myself on not complaining however I was surprised at the last two set lists in Lancaster and NYC nite 1.
12 songs repeated.
I hear you. I hate to complain too, because I love the band and I continue to attend shows but they don't change it up enough. I was there last night and will be again tonight and I won't be surprised to hear 10 of the same songs.
I kind of understand, but you also should keep in mind that there are many, many bands who don't change the set list at all when they tour. For instance, Rush, Roger waters, Kiss, quickly come to mind. They select 21 or so songs that are played every night, in the exact order, on every stop.

Saying that there was 12 repeats means there was around 9 or 10 that weren't. Thats a lot more than some people.

Again, I do understand your frustration a bit, I know it would be great to hear a completely different set every night, but you still are getting a pretty good mix compared to other bands................
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I wouldn't call Joe Strummer too "active".

Born August 21, 1952 in Ankara, Turkey.
Died December 22nd, 2002 in Broomfield, England.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

cochise wrote:
wolf wrote:
12 songs repeated.
I hear you. I hate to complain too, because I love the band and I continue to attend shows but they don't change it up enough. I was there last night and will be again tonight and I won't be surprised to hear 10 of the same songs.
Be optimistic! In Detroit we got 42 songs over 2 nights...only 5 repeats...all from WC.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

sean.bonner wrote:I wouldn't call Joe Strummer too "active".

Born August 21, 1952 in Ankara, Turkey.
Died December 22nd, 2002 in Broomfield, England.
touche :lol:

Concerning the variety/length of setlists: I don't think, physically, Gord Downie could do many more songs a night. He talks about how punished his body is after a show, he throws himself around stage like Pearl Jam does not, hell like most young bands do not.

But of course, we all wish they would vary the setlists on this board. If you're here, chances are you've seen more than a few shows. But a casual fan catching one setlist wants to see all their favorites played, so an equilibrium has to be found which I imagine is hard for a band to do.

I'd much rather see them f*** up the lyrics to Chagrin Falls and other rarities than play a finely tuned set every night, but a casual fan has probably never even heard that song.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

I'm predicting much more variety tonight...I'd wager on Flamenco, Escape and another rarity...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

Well, she got the song right anyway! Good call on his "activity" level though. Heh...
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

cochise wrote:
wolf wrote:
12 songs repeated.
I kind of understand, but you also should keep in mind that there are many, many bands who don't change the set list at all when they tour. For instance, Rush, Roger waters, Kiss, quickly come to mind. They select 21 or so songs that are played every night, in the exact order, on every stop.

Saying that there was 12 repeats means there was around 9 or 10 that weren't. Thats a lot more than some people.

Again, I do understand your frustration a bit, I know it would be great to hear a completely different set every night, but you still are getting a pretty good mix compared to other bands................
I agree...was not in NYC but saw 3 shows over the last month or so. One never knows what will be played from the archive upon entering a show. WC songs are obviously a given but many to choose from after that.

Been going to shows since 1977 and too many bands play the same list night after night not changing it up one bit throughout a whole tour unless something sounds really poor the first few weeks.

I think the hip does a fine job at keeping things fresh. My two worthless cents :D

DC
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

justin wrote:10:16
Nice to know my memory is still somewhat intact...check the bottom of this link...

http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11148&start=15