04/20/07: Boston: Avalon

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

04/20/07: Boston: Avalon

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

this show is now sold out? last time, barely half full. a good sign for the hip camp.

my guess for boston cover... toys in the attic.
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

My sister just dropped these tickets on me yesterday as a birthday gift. Road trip! Plus the Yankees are in town. And it's the 4:20 show. Any 420 friendly Bostonians who can provide assistance for Canucklehead border crossers please email me via my profile. I've seen them twice in Boston at the Somerville Theatre 02. Love the small venues. Love that city.

Any info on the venue, pre and post locations, etc would be great. Is the Avalon part of the strip of bars beside Fenway that has the Aerosmith bar and the Jillian's?

Jack

PS I hope they play NOIS 2nd. That would just blow me away! lol
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

Jack Straw wrote:My sister just dropped these tickets on me yesterday as a birthday gift. Road trip! Plus the Yankees are in town. And it's the 4:20 show. Any 420 friendly Bostonians who can provide assistance for Canucklehead border crossers please email me via my profile. I've seen them twice in Boston at the Somerville Theatre 02. Love the small venues. Love that city.

Any info on the venue, pre and post locations, etc would be great. Is the Avalon part of the strip of bars beside Fenway that has the Aerosmith bar and the Jillian's?

Jack

PS I hope they play NOIS 2nd. That would just blow me away! lol
yes, avalon is on landsdowne street. tucked beside fenway park. game night (yanks) so it will be a zoo!! theres bars all over the place, including in and around fenway, but game night will mean most places are full and hard to get into.
sullydog
New Maybe
New Maybe

two tickets for boston

Post by sullydog »

i have two tickets for boston anyone interested let me know i can meet at the show with tickets
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

does anyone have an extra ticket for boston? im looking.
email me today.. jtopping @ griffinbodikrause.com
remember_buffalo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by remember_buffalo »

Good show tonight,. I will post the set list tomorrow. Ocean and Meridian were the good ones tonight. Although, the overall sound in Avalon sucked. Gord's rants were hard to hear. Gord went to town on the mic stand, turned one end into a baton, and skipped and twirled around the stage - hilarious.

The cover was "Is this love?" by Bob Marley...the boys ended the last rift early and Gord looked pissed going into the final encore. It was good to hear, but a bit awkward towards the end.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

A Marley cover? Really? Man I hope this wasn't a 420 reference (unless it was very tongue in cheek)

With justification, "Is This Love" is my favourite Marley song..

Cheers,

Pat
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Setlist in order:

1: In View
2: My Music At Work
3: Grace, Too
4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
5: Family Band
6: Ahead By A Century
7: Yer Not The Ocean
8: Courage
9: Bobcaygeon
10: World Container
11: At The Hundredth Meridian
12: Boots Or Hearts
13: The Kids Don't Get It
14: Springtime In Vienna
15: Scared
16: The Lonely End Of The Rink
17: New Orleans Is Sinking

18: Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
19: Is This Love (Bob Marley & The Wailers)
20: Blow At High Dough

(from thehip.com)
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Vingal10
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Vingal10 »

My 33rd show and best I've seen in years. I love this album... this tour is awesome. It was a "feel good" night in Boston. I am having flashbacks of the PP tour in 98-99. Solid sets from beginning to end.
Wheat_King_Gus
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Wheat_King_Gus »

A Marley song on 4/20 - how cliche. :roll:
remember_buffalo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by remember_buffalo »

meh, this show doesn't really compare to most of the shows I've seen in Ontario. Bellevue and Fort York this past summer stomped this performance. I did like the Grace II (peace) reference tonight and the "god it smells like america" quote.

And the bob marley / 420 reference, I guess I can see that, but I have trouble equating marley's music to 420 ALL the time... :mrgreen:
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

let me try this. im posting a very lame dig camera video of the marley cover from boston. If it doesnt show up in this post, then try the link below. I just upped it, so give it a little while to get loaded.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WjpejkTCq6o"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WjpejkTCq6o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjpejkTCq6o
:thumb:
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

Bob and I saw CottonTech (Henry) again just before we went into the show. He made a point of coming over and speaking to us. We took some photographs for him in Burlington and printed them for him but didn't bring them to this show since we didn't know if we'd see him or not. It was kind of nuts down there with all the game goers. I felt the show was over sold. It was really crowded!! I stood by the light guy and watched him do his thing which added to my entertainment for the evening.

Fran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Locked »

Just have a couple of minutes to put my thoughts down..
pre-show met Paul Langlois by the tour bus, said its tough to remeber venues but he will never forget Bill's Bar (right next to avalon)..
I alos put in a request for "fiddlers green" and he said he'd be sure to mention it to Gord S. (no such luck)

Then out walks Robby Baker with his body guard, walked over to an awesome "hole in the wall" mexican taco place two doors down..
So I need to eat too, right?
Its me , Robby and his body guard in this tiney little take -out section..
talked to him for over 30 minutes (they make the taco from scratch, amazing)
he told me:
1) Robby picks all the cover tunes, no repeats..
2) They will be coming back to Boston in the fall to play the Orpheum

Quick Review:
Band / Gord as tight as I have ever seen them.
someone had two external mike's on stands by the SBD so i know there is a bootleg to come..

In View (great)
My Music At Work (perfect)
Grace, Too (gordie's intro hilarious.. "i'm signing up, I'm going to help fight the war,...NO I'M NOT!)
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken(perfect, but i miss the light show they used to have..)
Family Band
Ahead By A Century (new extended electric guitar solo by Paul!)
Yer Not The Ocean (love this song)
Courage (more great Gordie Rants.. first time I've ever seen him give the entire "There's no simple explanantion" part to the crowd.."
Bobcaygeon (perfect)
World Container
At The Hundredth Meridian (Holy god, no mid-song rant, just Gordie wrapping the microphone cord around him, attached "execution style" to the mike stand .. blindfolded.. this visual was th entire mid-set.. ran a little too long IMO)
Boots Or Hearts (first live performance I have ever thought worked without sounding hokey, really great)
The Kids Don't Get It
Springtime In Vienna
Scared (perfect)
The Lonely End Of The Rink
New Orleans Is Sinking (short version)
----------------------
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man (you gonna say I'm crazy but I HATE THIS SONG.. its like easy listening music)
Is This Love (Bob Marley & The Wailers) it just didn't sound right with a white canadian guy singing it..(just my opnion)
Blow At High Dough (exhaustingly good with Gord at the top of the stage stairs ending the song "same tragically Hip thing" I still miss the light show from 2004 though..

Over all I give the show a B/ B+..
the setlist really brought the grade down , almost identical to the previous show, and no real "gems".. I was worried this woukld happen with all the epic setlists you Canadians got (really some of the best setlists of ANY tour)..
The band's light show was vitrually non-existant but that may be the limitations of Avalon..
On the postive side.. this was one of the most animated Gord D. perofmances i have seen in some time.. and his voice was in fine shape.. not as "growly" as he can get after too many shows..

PS:
If it weren't for you canadian's , the crowd would have been very lame..
THANK YOU for kicking it up a notch..

The tour merchadise was really lame, most had designs on the front, none on the back and only one shirt had 2007 tour dates..
I LOVED the skull t-shirt but you could hardly tell it was a Hip t-shirt unless you looked at the words on the sleeve..
again, nothing on the back..
Look, the band can HAVE my money, no problem, just design some shirts that show:
1) it's a tragically hip shirt on the back
2) its the 2007 tour (dates man! dates!)

Hoping for better at the Orpheum in the fall..

locked out!