04/12/07: Detroit: State Theater

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

WOW! Great f'n review - I felt like I was there! Nice.
hashman
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by hashman »

wow..great review Hugh.looking forward to hookin up with you guys tomorrow in Cleveland.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

As Dana just posted - Here is the entire show:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=505825
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Man oh man. That sounds great Hugh. See ya tomorrow for the Cleveland show. I wish I could have been there for the birthday celebration. I just learned that I also share Robbie's birthday as yesterday was my 29th. I believe Rory's is today.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just posted Black Day In July to hipfans.com...
BootHunter
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by BootHunter »

chris wrote:I just posted Black Day In July to hipfans.com...
Cool I need to put that on my iPod
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

chris wrote:I just posted Black Day In July to hipfans.com...
Wow, I am VERY impressed with this song. Lots of energy. One of their best cover performances. :thumb:
Bookhead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Bookhead »

Way back in February I posted for the first time in Hipbase, explaining that I was a Hip newbie and was attending my first Hip show on April 12 at the State Theater. “Billy” from Calgary (Billy are you out there anywhere?) asked me to submit the report of my deflowering, so here goes (hope I don’t bore the hell out of anyone)…

Let me first say that I had a really excellent time (and I think my wife enjoyed it, too). We arrived in Detroit at exactly 6:30, just as the doors of the State opened. After spending ten bucks for two Buds (charging that much for Budweiser should be illegal) we assumed our positions on the main floor (stage left—about ten feet from the speakers), sipping our (poor excuse for) beers and patiently awaiting the Hip. This was a great time for people watching, and I was really impressed by the sheer range of Hip fans: a few teenage girls, several backward baseball cap-clad frat types, a smattering of fifty-somethings, and trendy hipsters who looked like they would fit in perfectly at a Belle & Sebastian gig. I had a nice chat with a thirty-something guy who asked my wife and I if we’d ever seen the Hip before (we must have looked like virgins). He told us that he was attending his fourth Hip show and briefly explained to us what we should expect (they’d play a mix of new and old stuff and they had a tremendously tight rhythm section. Stuff I pretty much already knew but I appreciated his friendliness).

I won’t go into a blow-by-blow description of the actual show since Hugh did this already (and way better than I could do it, anyway). Here are some observations and anecdotes: Gord D. is one of the best front men I have ever seen perform live. Plus, I can only hope to look that good at age 43. The guy looks like he could be a bantam weight boxer. His various antics with the mike and mike stand left the both of us in stitches.

I was thrilled that the guys played “Nautical Disaster,” but unfortunately my enjoyment of this was somewhat marred by this incredibly drunk guy in front of us who was making out pretty hot and heavy with this equally drunk-as-a-skunk girlfriend. They carried on like this for at least two or three songs before they took their act somewhere else.

“Hundredth Meridian” kicked a**. I loved the long instrumental jam and the way Gord S. and Johnny totally locked in, with Rob getting in some tasty licks. Absolutely tremendous.

I’m either getting too old, or I shouldn’t have worn my beloved (and equally old) Doc Martens, because after four hours of standing my feet felt like raw hamburger!

Was it just me, or did it seem like Gord S.s’ microphone wasn’t working very well.

“Thugs” was a very pleasant surprise for me. One of my favorite tunes from DFN. Even though Gord probably intended a deeper philosophical or allegorical meaning, the line “I do the rolling, you do the detail” has always reminded my of a summer job I had painting dorm rooms in college

Rob seemed truly touched when Gord D. wished him a happy birthday. I liked the way the two of them launched into “Long Time Running” right after the birthday tribute.

Intense cover of one of my favorite Lightfoot songs “Black Day in July” in the encore. I was hoping for a Stooges cover, but “Black Day in July” made perfect sense.

Hip fans are some of the most passionate (and totally crazy—in a good way) I’ve ever seen.

Well, that’s all I have for now. Thank you Hip and Hip fans (except for the drunk guy and his girlfriend) for a wonderful night.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

thx for busting your cherry with us,that was one hell of a first review!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Thanks Bookhead for that stellar review!
I hope you stick around!

Cheers!
trevor.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Black Day in July! Nice of them to cover something they've actually played in a studio for a change.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Nice review Bookend. I'm happy to hear your still rockin the Doc's. Mine also received a fresh coat of polish for the Hip show.

Black Day in July is definitely in my top five covers preformed this tour.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

Bookhead wrote: Even though Gord probably intended a deeper philosophical or allegorical meaning, the line “I do the rolling, you do the detail” has always reminded my of a summer job I had painting dorm rooms in college
funny and very cool... mr. downie has been know to follow up "I do the rolling, you do the details" with "that's how you paint a room." maybe not so philosophical afterall.

great review!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I just started listening to the boot...
and I am taken aback by how rocking/awesome this version of In View is. Simply phenomenal! I think everyone should DL this, based on In View alone! I can't wait to hear the rest!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Bookhead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Bookhead »

Thank you for the compliments regarding my review, fellow Hip fans! It's been great for me to find this "community" of Hip people (since most everyone in my neck of the woods have never even heard of the Hip), and you've all been wonderful. :thumb: