03/28/07: Portland: Roseland Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

direwolf74 wrote:Anyone else notice that the setlists from the last 2 or 3 shows are virtually identical for the first 7 songs? I thought that was weird. They must really like playing those songs in that order.

View
New O
Drop Off
Weaken
Family
ABAC
Ocean
It's the West Coast Offense. You always script your first 7 (or 15) plays.
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

u8555 wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:Anyone else notice that the setlists from the last 2 or 3 shows are virtually identical for the first 7 songs? I thought that was weird. They must really like playing those songs in that order.

View
New O
Drop Off
Weaken
Family
ABAC
Ocean
It's the West Coast Offense. You always script your first 7 (or 15) plays.
that's funny :thumb:
Foxfires
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Foxfires »

We were able to get a set list after the concert was over - and here is how it reads - along with the notations about which songs had the sax player accompanying: (I can post a scan of it tomorrow if anyone is interested)

1- In View
2 - New Orleans Is Sinking
3 - Drop Off
4 - 'It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken'
5 - Family Band
6 - Ahead By A Century *(Acoustic 2)
7- Yer Not The Ocean
8 - Music @ Work
9 - World Container
10 - Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man *(Sax was written here, then
scratched off)
11 - Putting Down
12 - At The Hundredth Meridian - *SAX
13 - Bobcaygeon - *(Acoustic 1) - SAX
14 - The Kids Don't Get It
15 - Springtime In Vienna
16 - Wheat Kings - *DOBRO
17 - The Lonely End Of The Rink
18 - Blow at High Dough
19 - So Hard Done By
20 - COVER - "Don't Worry Baby" - Los Lobos *SAX (there is also a note here that says "Paul Git to Gord" but not sure what that means)
21 - Poets

* Special Guest - Steve Berlin - Saxophone
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The concert was AMAZING. My best guess is that there were about 700 people there. Not a packed out crowd, but a VERY enthusiastic and appreciative one. Gord was in top form. He danced, cavorted, shimmied, paddled, swam, jumped, balanced on the speakers, and everything in between.

During Meridian, the band broke down into an awesome groove with the sax player, and Gord placed his precious microphone behind him. Then, he slid his back down the mic pole, until he was precariously perched, sitting on the round base, rocking it back until it looked like he was sitting in a chair. As the band grooved on, he placed a white tissue/hanky (the one he uses as a tailfeather) over his face, sprawled his arms and legs out, and 'walked' the microphone very slowly in circles....acting as if he were blind, and yet seeing things. He would slowly point at stuff while he continued the freaky spin, and the band kept growling onward. It was so awesome, and so completely Gord.

The guys all kept smiling and laughing, they were all in really good moods that night. The sax player had a problem during Bobcaygeon - and very little if any of his accompaniment could be heard during that song. He had switched from his full size sax, to what looked like a miniature one, and something malfunctioned. He ended up just shrugging and laughing as Gord went over to inspect.

I felt like we were in some exclusive club for a private performance, and compared to the other two times I've seen the hip (Once in Vancouver Canada in the arena, and once on the Pier in Seattle) - this, by far, was the most outstanding, power packed performance. My ears are literally still ringing from it.

I seriously hope they consider including saxaphone in future songs... it really added a seriously cool vibe to the songs it was in.

There were two professional photographers there. They were right in front of us when we went in, and I watched them get their gear checked and cleared. The one set up a video camera on the balcony, then later he came down and set it up on the floor front and center. So hopefully we'll hear more about that very soon!

If anyone wants to know more details, I'll gladly post them here. And if the Hip ever come back to the Roseland.... do not miss it!!

Oh, I almost forgot - they were selling autographed copies of World Container there as well. We were in the first 20 people who got in the door, and there was only a small stack of them there for sale... so I'm not sure if they had more, or if that was all. They sold them for $15.00 - and of course, we bought one!! :thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 03/28/07: Portland: Roseland Theatre

Post by chris »

I just received audio and video of this show - I'll post the audio to the tracker later today. The video... who knows.
Foxfires
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Foxfires »

You have no idea how you just made my entire year. I have been waiting, and hoping, and wishing on a star (LOL) that someone would have the audio / video of this performance. Thank youuuuuuuu!!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Yer welcome.

The audio is on the tracker now:

A new torrent has been uploaded.

Name: TTH: 2007-03-28 - Portland, OR
Size: 584.76 MB
Category: SHN/FLAC: Concerts
Uploaded by: chrisk

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Tragically Hip
March 28, 2007
Roseland Theater
Portland, OR

Source: AKG 483 > BM2p+ UA-5 > JB3
Taper: Josh Petersen

Setlist
01: In View
02: New Orleans Is Sinking
03: Drop Off
04: 'It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken'
05: Family Band
06: Ahead By A Century
07: Yer Not The Ocean
08: Music @ Work
09: World Container
10: Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
11: Putting Down
12: At The Hundredth Meridian
13: Bobcaygeon
14: The Kids Don't Get It
15: Springtime In Vienna
16: Wheat Kings
17: The Lonely End Of The Rink
18: Blow at high Dough

19: So Hard Done By
20: COVER: "Don't Worry Baby": Los Lobos
21: Poets

* Special Guest: Steve Berlin: Saxophone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the URL below to download the torrent (you may have to login).

http://www.thehiptracker.com/details.php?id=307&hit=1

--
The Hip Tracker