03/13/07: Atlanta: Roxy Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

alan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by alan »

The Heron Outside wrote:Dude, that's not really a fair thing t'say. You rag on these fans because they opt to video a show, and watch it through a tiny screen. First of all, that's their choice. Second of all, there's no doubt in my mind that if a DVD of this Roxy show becomes avaliable in the near future, you'll be one of the first on the list t'download it. I doubt you'll be complaining then. So they want to tape a show; we should be thankful Das Hips are so cool, allowing dedicated fans t'do this. I don't see much difference in setting up a tripod and taping a show, and waving yer arms frantically throughout the show. Both create a slight block in yer view, but really, who gives a shit? Move five feet over. This guy is watching the show through a little screen so others who weren't fortunate enough t'be there can watch the show through big screens later on.

Whoever that taper was, rock on.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anybody who wants to videotape the show. I do admit to being a bit mystified as to why anybody would go to the trouble of getting close to the stage only to watch the show on a tiny screen, but I don't begrudge anybody the opportunity if that's how they wish to spend the show. However, it was more than a slight block -- the camera was parked square in front of my face. I did move over when I got the chance, but given that people were squeezed in pretty tightly where I was standing it took awhile. I wasn't about to shove anybody out of the way and park myself in front of them (or at least if I was it was going to be the guy with the camera). At least a camera on a tripod would have been easy to avoid before the show began. And for that matter, why should I have to move? Why not the guy with the camera? If you want good video the balcony is the place to be at the Roxy anyway.

Whatever. This reminds me of the endless debates about flag-waving that used to go on in the old usenet forum. The bottom line for me is that I get irritated when somebody blocks my view, period. I'm just as entitled to enjoy the show as anybody else. Your not going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine, so that's the last I'll say about it.

As for downloading the video, I have zero interest in it. Really. Videotaped concerts are about as interesting to me as the lint in my belly button. If there's some quality audio I'll download that, but I've seen many an audiotaper at a show and have yet to be irritated by one.

alan
----
Getting crotchety in his
old age.
alan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by alan »

treeman wrote:a friend said he saw them at the variety on hen house tour. gord stopped the show after a few songs due to all the fighting in the crowd. police needed to be called in and such.
Huh. I moved to Atlanta about a week after that show and I've been wishing I'd seen it for the last 10+ years, but I didn't know that had happened. Guess I don't feel bad about missing it now. Besides, I had already seen them two other times on that tour (and there were fights at both, though one was a big festival with lots of bands and things getting set on fire). They played Variety on the IBE tour without incident.

alan
----
Non-violent.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

OOPS: 1 minute of Locked in The Trunk Of A Car intermixed with 15 second blips of other songs and photographs of people you won't recognize." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDBYS506xw
Last edited by Tthip on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

Tthip wrote:Locked In The Trunk Of A Car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDBYS506xw
You mean "1 minute of Locked in The Trunk Of A Car intermixed with 15 second blips of other songs and photographs of people you won't recognize." :lol:
deerok
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by deerok »

The Tragically Hip - Lonely End of the Rink. March 13, 2007, Roxy Theater, Atlanta, GA. First song of the show.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5LVY5lx8QU

(Warning: It's a little loud, and dark.)
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

Tthip wrote:OOPS: 1 minute of Locked in The Trunk Of A Car intermixed with 15 second blips of other songs and photographs of people you won't recognize."

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

The Tragically Hip
Roxy Theatre
Atlanta, Georgia
March 13, 2007

MICS Used: AKG 481's ->
PRE-AMP: Lunatec V3 ->
Recording Device: Edirol R4 @ 48khz/24bit
Source: R4 > MacBookPro > Fission (tracking, etc...) xACT > FLAC > hipfans.com
Recorded By: Steve Stroud (dreyfuss)

01: The Lonely End Of The Rink
02: New Orleans Is Sinking
03: Yer Not The Ocean
04: Gus; The Polar Bear From Central Park
05: In View
06: Ahead By A Century
07: Last Night I Dreamed...
08: Poets
09: World Container
10: Long Time Running
11: Don't Wake Daddy
12: At The 100th meridian
13: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
14: Luv (Sic)
15: Locked In the Trunk of a Car
16: Bobcaygeon
17: Family Band
18: Fully Completely

Encore
19: COVER: "The End of the World As We Know It" by REM
20: Kid's Don't Get It
21: On The Verge

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Be sure to visit
www.hipfans.com
www.onegeeksopinion.com
www.thehip.com

:: SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC ::
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Re: 03/13/07: Atlanta: Roxy Theatre

Post by sean.bonner »

2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Cleaning up my hard drives and I found what appears to be a video of show, in its entirety. I've got 24 Gigs of data ready for whomever wants it to create a DVD for fans. Any takers?
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

chris wrote:Cleaning up my hard drives and I found what appears to be a video of show, in its entirety. I've got 24 Gigs of data ready for whomever wants it to create a DVD for fans. Any takers?
Hey Chris, I'll send you a pm