03/13/07: Atlanta: Roxy Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Wintersleep, they've just recently (this past month I think) got a label in the US carrying their albums, if you can't find them they are on Maple Music as well.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Wow this cover sounds great! The boys NAILED it!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Hard Canadian
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hard Canadian »

dreyfuss wrote: 07 - Last Night
19 - The End of the World As We Know It
everyone has been blow away by the cover they played last night that no one has mentioned they finally played last night, or am i missing something and they already have played this one live?

another thing, of the 3 or 4 covers they've played on the US tour, they are playing way better covers than the canadian tour. sure there were alot of great covers played on the canadian tour but the US tour just begun and they are playing killer songs.
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

They played last night on (almost) every night of the club tour in november and I think it's already been played on this tour, if I'm not mistaken.
soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

hipnotherapist wrote:Someone in line told me they were practicing the cover in soundcheck. I was very impressed Gord would know and be able to fit in all the words. Of course, from my spot in the front row, I saw Billy Ray taping down the words and Gord did not take his eyes off of them...makes me feel better because no matter how many times I heard the song, about all I could remember was Leonard Brezhnev. But he did an excellent job with it, as did the others. They seemed to be having fun playing it.

I'm going to have to check out Wintersleep; I'd never heard of them (sorry, I'm from the states) and I was more than impressed.
DEFINITELY check out Wintersleep. They're fantastic. New album should be released sometime this year :)

And it took me a month of playing End of the World every day for me to learn the lyrics. And I'm pretty sure the lyrics I learned aren't exactly what the actual lyrics are... But I can sing it :D
Wheat_King_Gus
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Wheat_King_Gus »

Very nice to see that they're starting to play OTV again on a semi-regular basis. I've always felt that they've really been neglecting tracks off of Road Apples (not to mention UTH and DFN) for the last 5 or 6 years or so. Hopefully that will change, but I doubt it. Still, it really is a treat to see On The Verge on a setlist.
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

I think the reason that the cover songs they are chosing on the US tour are "better" because they have all been songs that people seem to be familiar with. I think that might have something to do with the comfort level the Hip have in canada, and maybe feeling like they can play anything and the people will cheer whether they know it or not. Perhaps in the states they are more aprehensive to do so, but it suits me fine...I'd rather hear these songs I know.

Also, Billy Ray brings out lyrics for almoast every cover that they do. I'm impressed enough that the band can go out and play this many different songs once and possibly never again. It shows a lot about their talents.
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

chris wrote:
dreyfuss wrote:
sean.bonner wrote: I think an attempt at "I've Been Everywhere" would be funny to hear. There's noway that even Johnny could have performed that without messing up.
I saw stompin Tom do that song without any trouble

As for End of the World showing up, keep checking Hipfans.com tomorrow morning, I've done my part, now it's up to Chris :mrgreen:
And I've done mine.... hipfans.com

Thanks Steve!
Thanks you two! :thumb:

:D
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Thanks for the mp3, Steve and Chris! 8)
treeman
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by treeman »

great show. up front, left side (my friend had on his bobby orr jersey).

it seemed that they really started kicking ass during poets.
The Tragically Hip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Tragically Hip »

The show was incredible.
What a night - so glad I made the trip up to see them.

The sound was great - The boys were tight and Gord was up to his usual tricks.

On the verge to end it right after the REM cover blew me away.
alan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by alan »

Great show. Was surprised by the cover, because apparently I am the last holdout besides Whorella at alt.music.tragically-hip and have missed out on all the discussion of this tour. It was weird walking into a Hip show and having no idea what to expect.

Other highlights for me:
  • The microphone stand is not a man speech, after the cord of Gord's mic got tangled in the stand.

Gord thanking the Variety Playhouse (the other venue they've played in Atlanta) after the show and again during the encore before he realized where he was and corrected himself.

Paul and Rob laughing at Gord as he screwed up the lyrics to "End of the World" despite his laser focus on the lyrics taped to the stage.

The woman wearing the homemade tee shirt designating herself the official Canadian of Atlanta.

Wintersleep, not just because the Hip finally picked an opener I liked, but also because the rest of the audience liked them enough not to wave flags and break out the Hip chant in the middle of their set.
The lowlights:
  • I hate the Roxy. It's uncomfortable, it's in my least favorite part of town, there's nowhere decent to eat nearby without spending a fortune, and the sound quality is rotten through most of the venue. Variety Playhouse is much better on all counts, plus it's within stumbling distance of my apartment.

The guy in front of me who kept sticking his videocamera in my face. Why bother coming to the show if you're just going to watch it all on a tiny TV screen anyway?

The same guy, after his dinner apparently disagreed with him and he began, erm, producing noxious emissions. For some reason, this seems to be a regular occurrence when I see the Hip at the Roxy. :nooooo
On the drive home after the show, my fiancee informed that if we move to Canada or the Northeast (a move somewhere is imminent) we will not be seeing the Hip there. Instead, we will travel to Atlanta or someplace else where they play 1000-seat clubs because she refuses to ever see them from more than about 30 feet away. Can I pick 'em or what? :D

alan
----
Lucky guy.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Dude, that's not really a fair thing t'say. You rag on these fans because they opt to video a show, and watch it through a tiny screen. First of all, that's their choice. Second of all, there's no doubt in my mind that if a DVD of this Roxy show becomes avaliable in the near future, you'll be one of the first on the list t'download it. I doubt you'll be complaining then. So they want to tape a show; we should be thankful Das Hips are so cool, allowing dedicated fans t'do this. I don't see much difference in setting up a tripod and taping a show, and waving yer arms frantically throughout the show. Both create a slight block in yer view, but really, who gives a shit? Move five feet over. This guy is watching the show through a little screen so others who weren't fortunate enough t'be there can watch the show through big screens later on.

Whoever that taper was, rock on.
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
treeman
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by treeman »

a friend said he saw them at the variety on hen house tour. gord stopped the show after a few songs due to all the fighting in the crowd. police needed to be called in and such.
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

SRK wrote:They played last night on (almost) every night of the club tour in november and I think it's already been played on this tour, if I'm not mistaken.
Actually, this was only the 2nd time they've played it in the last 28ish shows, if I'm not mistaken, with the first being Buffalo a couple nights ago.

Edit: I think both of my numbers were correct according to: http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=setlist

though I can't speak for the numbers on the Canadian tour.