03/09/07: Buffalo: Town Ballroom

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

03/09/07: Buffalo: Town Ballroom

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
j_espo1
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by j_espo1 »

i fukkin ready for this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! less than 3 hours away!!!!!!
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

pretty good show. i really like the venue. the usual old and new setlist, with a cover of the who's "i cant explain" to start the encore.
HippyChick
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by HippyChick »

In order:

Rink
Courage
Drop Off
Boots
View
Bob
Last Night
Nautical
Pretend
LTR!!
Luv
Meridian
Kids
SIV
Scared
Ocean
Blow
Family

Encore:
Can't Explain (Who)
Fully
Bones
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

They played "Last Night...."! :thumb: HIP HIP HOOOOOORAY!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: That's a pretty darn solid setlist! I wish I was there for it. :(

BTW, GREAT FIRST POST!!!!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Last Night's back! Fuckin eh!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

WOW

Post by buffalorob »

Felt like it was new stuff, Bobcaygeon, caviar, foie gras, chocolate mousse, single malt, The Who (awesome, I was expecting Gord to show how Roger throws the mic), and cheesecake for dessert.
Incredibly rich and classic. :thumb: :D [/b]
j_espo1
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by j_espo1 »

show was incredible, but to me it seemed the crowd was LAME. maybe it was because so many people were in awe of seeing the band at such a small venue for the first time :?
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

Wow. What a show. :thumb: We got there early and was right up front on the wall in front of Paul/Gord. So close. It was incredible being that close to one my favorite bands!!! Man does Gord sweat. 3 songs in he was drenched. Great setlist tonight. Show and energy was 100 times better than Thursday in Rochester. Have to go through my pix.
How you can think the crowd was lame I'll never know. Everyone had a smile from ear to ear and gave off great energy :roll:
We stayed a bit after the show and hung out Gord S. came through and went to the side bar to hang.

If you can't make the FYE store today they were selling autographed WC CD's for $15. They were also giving away free Sloan tix for this tuesday. Look for the guys after the show.

Thanks to Artie for brining them to the Towne !!!!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Buffalo News review:

A Tragically Hip show is not so much a concert as a communal event. There is, throughout the band’s performances, an air of shared yearning, a striving to break on through to some higher level, with the music acting, on a good night, as a vehicle of transcendence. Friday evening inside the Town Ballroom was one of those good nights.

It didn’t hurt that the Hip arrived in Buffalo for a twonight sold-out run the same week that its beautiful new album, “World Container,” received its U.S. release. The record has given the band a new lease on life, and also has upped what was already a high level of enthusiasm among its fan base, based on the record’s vibrancy, freshness and sense of celebration and joy.

“Joy — that’s a big one for me,” Hip vocalist Gordon Downie told me a few weeks back, and his performance Friday night bore this statement out. Downie is one of rock’s finest lyricists, a writer capable of crafting image-heavy vignettes that manage to be both poetically abstract and deeply human.

He is also one of the most commanding frontmen in the game, a presence fully capable of surrendering to the moment on the concert stage, and even more important, of urging those moments into existence if they don’t happen on their own.

Much of Friday’s set centered on “World Container,” and that material was particularly moving. Downie has said that “a door opened” for the band when it began recording with producer Bob Rock last year, and Downie has done more than stick his foot inside that door — he and the rest of the Hip have stuffed their whole bodies inside this new room.

The music itself has not changed radically, but there is an attention to fine detail, and a willingness to reap the rewards of the band’s strengths by embracing hooks and indulging in gloriously iconic guitar figures, like the one that heralds the arrival of the careening reggaetinged rocker “The Lonely End of the Rink,” which opened the show.

“Courage (For Hugh McLennan)” followed, and by this time, Downie was warmed up and ready to get strange on us. That happened soon after, when “The Drop-Off” showed up, and found the singer performing a rhythmic bit that was far beyond rap, as the band milked the riff for all it was worth. (It was worth plenty.)

No Hip show is complete without surprises, and there were several sprinkled throughout Friday night’s show. The first was “Boots & Hearts,” a swanky acoustic tune that takes the Stones’ “Honky Tonk Woman” and turns it into an eloquent folk-ish piece, replete with brilliant Downie lyrics delineating a torrid break-up. (I think.) “In View,” the first single from “World Container,” tore along on the fast track, and proved itself to be as compelling a ditty on stage as it is on record.

“Bobcaygeon,” one of the Hip’s most evocative tunes, followed, and was as transcendent as “that night in Toronto” it describes. Downie enveloped all of these songs with a disturbed sort of performance art, wiggling his legs like a particularly caffeinated James Brown, or waving his sweat-rag about like a matador in a bullring.

The Hip is not all Downie, of course, and Friday night’s show made indelible the fact that drummer Johnny Fay and bassist Gord Sinclair comprise one of the finest rhythm sections in rock. By keeping it simple, the two act as the Hip’s engine room, supplying a sturdy foundation throughout, but also seizing moments for melodic and rhythmic improvisation. That interplay is echoed by the guitars of Rob Baker and Paul Langlois, who in essence form one 20-fingered guitarist, so intuitively and tightly interwoven is their playing.

“At the Hundredth Meridian” found Downie treating his microphone stand like a Lazy Boy recliner, and turned out to be one of the evening’s highlights in its extended, jammedout form.

The Tragically Hip remains one of the strongest modern rock bands going. More than any other band in its peer group, the Hip takes us all somewhere else, and invites us to stay awhile. It’s nice there. Makes you want to come back again.

Concert Review

The Tragically Hip

Friday night in Town Ballroom. Another performance at 8 tonight. For information, call 852- 3900 or visit www.townballroom.com.

[email protected]
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

20-fingered guitarist. Sweet!
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

if any of us see mr. miers well remember to buy him a beer . that was a great review i felt like i was there
Ron
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

I agree , that a fine write up

:thumb:
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

HippyChick wrote:In order:

SIV

Having a major brain cramp....

what is SIV???
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

briansmccabe wrote:
HippyChick wrote:In order:
SIV
Having a major brain cramp....
what is SIV???
Springtime in Vienna

(don't worry -- I had to go look it up, too)