05/11/07: Chicago: House Of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

05/11/07: Chicago: House Of Blues

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Cool kids never have the time....
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

chris wrote:Cool kids never have the time....
Prediction or Confirmation?
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

A repeated cover eh? Was Billy there singing lead?

Cheers,

Pat
Spilled Milk
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Spilled Milk »

Long time lurker here. Here's some thoughts on the show:
--New Orleans Is Sinking and At the Hundredth Meridian were just unreal
--Escape is at Hand for the Travelin' Man was an awesome surprise.
--1979 sounded much better than I'd anticipated, and Gord kinda looked like a mini-Corgan.
--It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken may now be my favorite Hip song.

Awesome show. My first time seeing them (I've seemingly missed them every time they've played near me since 1996) and I was really impressed.
tth_fan
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tth_fan »

Spilled Milk wrote:Long time lurker here. Here's some thoughts on the show:
--New Orleans Is Sinking and At the Hundredth Meridian were just unreal
--Escape is at Hand for the Travelin' Man was an awesome surprise.
--1979 sounded much better than I'd anticipated, and Gord kinda looked like a mini-Corgan.
--It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken may now be my favorite Hip song.

Awesome show. My first time seeing them (I've seemingly missed them every time they've played near me since 1996) and I was really impressed.
Thanks. Sweet first post.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Setlist? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Setlist (* in correct spot):

1 * Ocean
2 * Fully
3 * Puttin
4 * Lake
5 Drop
6 Courage
7 Family
8 Escape
9 WC
10 Music
11 Bobc
12 Meridian
13 IOD
14 Good Life
15 Rink
16 * Grace
---
17 * View
18 * 1979
19 * New O

# 20 seems to have gone missing lately :P

They always seem to play Escape in Chicago due to it's connection w/ the city.

A M@W trifecta - 1st time time tour? IOD !!! is another tour first which also seems to be played a lot here. The triggered drum piece to Lake Fever was not used. Gord did this weightlifting deal with the mic stand which was funny - I've not seen that before.

Show was decent, but not so much for me (company excluded). A bunch of Doods in nifty matching shirts showed up and really crowded the minimal space I had (this was by the soundboard, too) - I think I overheard one of them was getting married soon so of course they were hammered. Thankfully they left early (please don't return tonight). Also, HoB forbade the camera - they said Hip Production wouldn't allow it (which I find odd) and I think they lied about asking in the first place. So boo to you, HoB.
VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

The security or management you dealt with defenitely lied to you, because I was able to bring in a camera the last time I saw the Hip at HOB and there were lots of digital cams and a few professional looking pieces in the crowd that night.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

john cage wrote: They always seem to play Escape in Chicago due to it's connection w/ the city.
What's the connection between "Escape Is At Hand..." & the city of Chicago?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Perhaps its that much like Winnipeg is the same as Kingston, Chicago is the same as New York?
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:
john cage wrote: They always seem to play Escape in Chicago due to it's connection w/ the city.
What's the connection between "Escape Is At Hand..." & the city of Chicago?
Parts of "Escape" are about the lead singer of a band called "Material Issue" who was from Chicago. He tragically took his own life several years ago.
kmoneill9
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kmoneill9 »

john cage wrote:Show was decent, but not so much for me (company excluded). A bunch of Doods in nifty matching shirts showed up and really crowded the minimal space I had (this was by the soundboard, too) - I think I overheard one of them was getting married soon so of course they were hammered. Thankfully they left early (please don't return tonight). Also, HoB forbade the camera - they said Hip Production wouldn't allow it (which I find odd) and I think they lied about asking in the first place. So boo to you, HoB.
Yeah, I saw those knuckleheads near the soundboard, too. And, I too got hassled with my camera... although they did let me in with it. A Nikon digital SLR. I blew it when the security guy at the front asked me if I needed a photo pass and I said, "No, they're cool with people shooting at their shows." I should have just said yes and seen what happened.

One of the beer girls going through the crowd pulled a real a-hole move... which, I fell for like a dope. She told me she could get me to a better, closer spot... but just took me over to one of the security guards who asked me to leave. So I went to the back and laid low for a few minutes. Then later near the soundboard, some security guard told me I couldn't shoot because I had a "professional camera"... which I think to them is any camera that is not silver. Not the sharpest tools in the shed. I had a bit to drink, but I'm pretty sure I was standing right near the guys that were recording the friggin' show with thier monsterous rigs. I've never had a problem at the HOB at previous Hip shows. We'll see what happens tonight.

kevin
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

tth_fan
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tth_fan »

Thanks. The cover sounds awesome on hipfans.
Cheers