07/01/07: Lewiston: Artpark

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

07/01/07: Lewiston: Artpark

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Holy crap, 4.5 hours later and no one has said anything yet, oh well quick run down would be a fairly standard set plus Daredevil, Don't Wake Daddy, and Scared. Band was in great mood tonight and Paul was rockin out a lot, should've worn my "Paul Kicks Ass" shirt.

That's enough for now, it's sleepy time
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Setlist in Order:

1. Rink
2. NOIS
3. Courage
4. Good Life
5. Drop Off
6. Daredevil
7. Family Band
8. Bobcaygeon
9. Poets
10. Don't Wake Daddy
11. Ocean
12. Nautical Disaster
13. Scared
14. Kids Don't Get It
15. Locked
16. Fire in the Hole

Encore
1. In View
2. Summer's Killing Us
3. Little Bones
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Seeing my first show at the Artpark, I expected nothing less than a great Canada Day performance from The Hip. Thankfully again, I got what I expected. Avid fans from the Toronto/Hamilton/Buffalo area were whipped into a frenzy by Gord Downie and his band mates. From the start the boys were right on, playing many Hip favorites in a set list punctuated with songs from their latest release, World Container.

Near the beginning of the show Gord D. noted that we were in the Niagara Falls region. He then made a prophetic statement. Gord said, "Accidents causing injury or death are usually the result of showing off". After saying that, the band launched into Daredevil. Downie was full of energy, (as he usually is), dancing and acting out. He raged back and forth across the stage belting out his lyrics while Robbie Baker and Paul Langois reproduced that wonderfully layered dual guitar sound. Johnny Fay played loud and hard on his stripped down Yamaha drum set as Gord S. plucked his bass, moving and dancing in his own unique style.

Some highlights of the show included Gord D. hiding behind his playback monitor as if he were in a fox hole in a war zone. He would grab an imaginary grenade, pull the pin with his teeth and toss it into the crowd. Then Gord would duck down behind his monitor as it exploded. During Locked in the Trunck of a Car, G.D. was dancing and jumping about. At one point Gord lept into the air using his mikestand as a pole vault. He fell to the ground as the mikestand snapped in half. He gave his mangled mikestand to a mom sitting right next to me who was with her 14 y.o. son attending his first Hip show. As the final song of the main set began to play, Billy Ray brought Gord another mikestand. Gord quickly dismantled it and gave another fan an unusual souvenier. Keeping the top half of the stand, Gord marched back and forth twriling it like a baton in his right hand. Now Gord was a "drum major" leading the marching band in a parade.

As the last song began to end, Gord prepared to "hang" himself with the cord from his mike. Wrapping it around his neck, he stood on his tippy-toes waving goodbye to everyone. The song ended and Gord collapsed to the stage, his dirty deed complete. After a three song encore, we were sent home happy and exhausted as Gord thanked everyone for celebrating Canada Day with The Hip
Chris4613
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Chris4613 »

It was great to see the classics like Summer is Killing Us make it back into the sets :roll: I was pumped for the encore after seeing Escape in it the previous night I thought we'd get something epic but that??? And am I the only one that liked the Saturday show better?
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Both shows were excellent but if I have to rate them Saturday was better imho.

DC
Last edited by mookytc on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Ha, I was just going to say that Sunday was the better night!

That five minute jam session right before Daredevil gave me goosebumps. That was so cool, and they don't do stuff like that enough anymore. And daredevil itself was awesome.

Exact same seats as Saturday night, so again, a great experience.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Hehe..both were excellent. Sherpa, Escape, Thugs, and Putting Down was the difference for me. However choosing between the two is like having to pick between two expensive sport cars (corny I know).

Funny we had the same seats for both shows. :D

One day later I am looking at the schedule for the next show. These may have been the last ones for a while. Kind of a depressing thought actually.

DC
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

christafromkenmore
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by christafromkenmore »

I was the woman who Gord gave the top half of the microphone stand to and and was lucky enough to sit next to Hugh and his wonderful wife. Hugh was so great with my son! My son (who doesn't like to admit that anything is cool that I like now, but nonetheless has the Hip all over his IPod) said to me, "Gordie is awesome." Enough said. It was nice meeting you, Hugh! We will see each other again. That was the best concert ever, and I've seen alot!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana