07/15/07: Calgary: Saddledome

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

This was a very good show. Gord was way more animated than I have seen in many years. He got the whole crowd clapping during Blow...haven't seen that at a Hip concert since 1997. As well, there was an entire crowd sing-a-long during Courage which I haven't seen since 1997.

The only downer for me was the 40ish drunk guy a few seats to my right and one row in front of me. Before the band came on he was trying to get everyone around him to chant "Hip, Hip" and/or to sing O Canada. Nobody wanted any part of either of these, but in the process I got beer spilled on me a bit...no biggie. Then when they took the stage, for the first 3-4 songs he kept going up to everyone in his vacinity and trying to coax us into jumping around and salivating at the mouth. The second time he approached me I had enough of the disturbances and politely told him "I'll enjoy the show my way, you enjoy it yours...ok?". He then got defensive and assumed I was an American and just didn't get it. I called him over again, and after finally getting him to shut up, I told him, "Look, this is my 22nd Hip show, I don't need you telling me how I should be enjoying it. Why don't you stop bothering me, turn around and shut the f**k up!". He was shocked and did just what I asked him to. That was the last issue I had with him, although the guy next to me almost got into a fight with him about the cigarette smoking he was doing.

All in all, good show, great jams, and it was nice to see Gord acting the way he did back in the early and mid 90's.

Oh yeah, they played Grace and Fully...2 songs I always hope for at each show.
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Forgot to say that this time I was actualy in my seat for the Sadies, didn't watch them at rexall in Jan. I thought they were pretty good actually, glad I gave them my full attention this time around.

Highlights for me last night were Family Band and Kids Don't Get It, these two tunes really kick ass live.

That was number 21 for me.
catiekins
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by catiekins »

prairieman wrote:Awesome show indeed, was sportin my hipbase shirt, rockin out in seat 4, row 6! Rob was killin it all night, and Gord was in fine form.
Yes, yes he was in fine form!

If you were seat 4, row 6 then I was exactly 3 rows ahead of you...seat 4, row 3.

A big shout out has to go to the dude beside me...seat 5 row 3 for bogarting my chair most of the leadup to the show and then standing there like the drunken log he was...

All in all...amazing show, amazing tunes, amazing energy and couldn't be happier that I got to be there!

:-)
day_for_night
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by day_for_night »

# 24 for me...very enjoyable. gord was just as animated as he was during the small club shows back in october. only difference was the number of rare tracks they played...this time around being pretty much none. i didn't expect the to be pulling out "emergency" or something, but a few less-played tracks would have been great.

also, i wish some of the floor crowd would have been a bit more into the show...several groups of people looked very disinterested. why the hell buy good seats to a concert and then stand there like a statue? perhaps thats just the hardcore fan in me, though...

still, band was great. sound was spot-on. loved the extend jam in ATHM. all and all, a great night!
BulletRiddled
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BulletRiddled »

Since everyone's already mentioned how great Gord D was last night, I'm going to say that Johnny Faye and Gord S were on fire last night. I've never seen Johnny that intense, and watching Gord S groove along kept distracting me from Gord D. That guy's in a world of his own.

The highlight of the show was when one song started (can't remember which) and both Gords jumped up in air at the same time.
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 6th row guy with tripod

Post by Corby »

HipAlbertaDud wrote:I spoke with this guy after the show, says he'll have footage posted at hipfans.com.....
Welcome to the base. If footage is available for a show, it will makes its way to thehiptracker.com eventually, check back there for updates as well as hipfans.com as clips will usually be posted there.

Here were the clippings from the calgary morning papers for anyone interested:

ImageImageImageImage

It was a good show, amazing crowd response. Actually, overall, everyone I met or crossed in Calgary while there was extremely polite and happy. No incidents during the show, either, I really enjoyed it.

Not a surprising setlist, but it had a bit of added energy. Gripping performances all around. Gord hurt himself toward the end, cutting his hand. It didn't look like much until you looked close and saw the blood dripping on his clothes. Bit of crowd interaction; kissing some girls in the front.

I'd disagree about 100% with the review in the Sun. Rink, along with the other WC songs, got amazing responses. The writer also contradicts herself on many points, so I don't place any merit on the article, anyway.
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 6th row guy with tripod

Post by chris »

Corby wrote:Gord hurt himself toward the end, cutting his hand. It didn't look like much until you looked close and saw the blood dripping on his clothes.
ImageImage
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Thoroughly enjoyed this one! Nice to hear Grace again!

The band was on fire, Rob, and Paul were really into it, and Johnny on the trap was playing hard - as usual.
16th row seats were great. The beach balls added a little fun, slightly distracting from the show, but fun.

I liked Gord's tease during Grace, too - when he alluded to his old rant, of "if your in, don't say anything at all"

The Calgary crowd was disappointing. Good number of people sitting down in the upper levels.

A couple vids for ya! (Bobcaygeon does work, despite it's appearance)

Bobcaygeon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EletRQ2R9fM

Family Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiiEwmWB9Kk
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Code: Select all

I was exactly 3 rows ahead of you...seat 4, row 3. 
I could barely see that far ahead at times due to the copious amounts of ganja smoke in front of me and behind you! I did notice a cluster f**k of idiots in row 1, seats 1-3 trying to move closer to centre stage all night.

I gotta say that the Calgary crowd was much more into it than the Edmonton crowd at Rexall in January.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

MountainHip wrote: 16th row seats were great. The beach balls added a little fun, slightly distracting from the show, but fun.
Where in row 16 were you? We were seats 40-42...left side of the stage as you face it.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Billy wrote:
MountainHip wrote: 16th row seats were great. The beach balls added a little fun, slightly distracting from the show, but fun.
Where in row 16 were you? We were seats 40-42...left side of the stage as you face it.
We had seats 24-26, on the left side of the center section.
Pretty good view.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Some beautiful photos bigA, very nice to see you again and meet your better half. Glad you made it home safely mang!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

prairieman wrote:Some beautiful photos bigA, very nice to see you again and meet your better half. Glad you made it home safely mang!
Nice meeting you and your little bro again.

I meet more people at the Calgary show than I did at Vancouver.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Great photos, Adrian! Thanks for those. I love this one :lol:

http://www.hipography.com/main.php?g2_i ... ewsIndex=3