07/20/07: Detroit Lakes: Soo Pass Ranch

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

07/20/07: Detroit Lakes: Soo Pass Ranch

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review, 10,000 Lakes Festival
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Maybe a little premature celebration considering I've yet to buy the tickets ...

BUT ...

11:30 PM Field Stage! Lookin for a place to happen!

Opening Setlist Wish: Lake Fever
Closing Setlist Wish 1: World Container
Closing Setlist Wish 2: Family Band

Encore 1:

1. ABAC
2. NOIS (just because)
3. Are We Family (can't wait to hear this live)

Encore 2:

1. Keep on Rockin in the Free World - performed with Bob Weir <grin>
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

I'm already becoming totally phyced about this show! 11:30 PM field stage. Should be rockin!

Anyone else here going?
DiscoStu
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by DiscoStu »

I am sorely tempted ... 11:30pm on 7/20, right? Should be awesome.
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

Trey Anastasio has backed out of the festival for "reasons beyond his control" Although a recent run-in with the law may have something to do with this.

However, String Cheese Incident has replaced Trey...
Which means on Saturday night the headlining bands are SCI and The Hip!!!

It'll be great for the Hip to get some coverage in a jam band type scene..
Seeing as many people going to see Trey may now have to look elsewhere for an act to watch that night.

SCI hits the stage at 9 and the Hip are on a different stage @ 1130.
Enjoy!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Of all the shows on this tour this was the one I was most interested in. And of course I cannot make it. Needless to say I'm disappointed. Cheers to those of you who do make it. Please post a review.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

From thehip.com:

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: Grace, Too
3: New Orleans Is Sinking
4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
5: Family Band
6: Ahead By A Century
7: Yer Not The Ocean
8: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
9: World Container
10: Bobcaygeon
11: In View
12: Springtime In Vienna
13: At The Hundredth Meridian
14: Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
15: The Kids Don't Get It
16: Fully Completely
17: Gift Shop
18: Blow At High Dough
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Christian Schutz
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Christian Schutz »

Went to Detroit Lakes last night. The venue in this Detroit was no Cobo Arena. The stage set was minimal (you could read the sign for "cheese curds" through the back of the stage) and there was very little use of the what lighting was there. This very basic staging would have been no big deal if the sound was ok. Which it wasn't. The band (who was ON all night long) sounded punchless and muddy in the mix. At one point the entire band lost power for just a moment, althouth they played right through it with out missing much of a beat. Worst of all, Gord's vocals kept fading in and out - going from too loud to muffled. I hope that the crummy sound was the reason for Gord's vocal performance - more on that later...

The band opened with a rockin' version of LEOTRink that set a furious pace out of the gate. Grace, Too followed. By the time the band hit the first chorus, I was a bit worried about how the rest of the song (and rest of the night) would go. NOIS was next and performed in the same way. Gordon Downie was simply yelling the lyrics. Not singing - yelling. When the band gave way to some of the less raucous material, he allowed himself to put melody before shouting. IAGLIYDW, Bobcaygeon, and ABAC were examples of this, as were The Ocean and World Container. Sure, his voice still sounded quite rough during parts of those songs, but at least he was singing. When the Hundreth Meridian kicked in, Gord reverted to his raspy yelp for much of the song. The jam in the middle was extended and really ferocious. As they went back to the main tune, Gord did the same (now predictable) rapid, high pitched scream he has been doing for awhile during the Ry Cooder line. The band sounded really incredible during Fully Completely and Escape IAHFTTM. Escape was probably the biggest disappointment of the night, however. Despite the great vibe created by the rest of the band, Gordie's vocal delivery towards the end of the song took away from the beautiful buildup that had taken us there. The second time through the chorus, during the line, "you said anytime of the night was also fine...",GD just bailed. I have seen this song performed many times and have enjoyed listening to Gord Downie outsing entire audiences by the time it gets to that point in the song. On his particular occasion, he just yelled (with almost no regard for the melody that preceded it) rather than even trying to hit a note. Awww!

By my account, here are a few of the things missing from each of the songs:

Grace, Too: No more of the dynamics: soft singing into majestic call-outs, and none of the beauty when the band breaks it down to the simple title lyric "...and Grace, too..."

New Orleans Is Sinking: Obviously no Killer Whale tank (or anything even close to like it)! Beyond that, the melody was absent during much of the lead vocal.

Bobcaygeon: No real crescendo for "That night in Toronto..." or extra feeling put into "... with that Aryan twang""

Escape: This song is best when performed with dynamic range and when it showcases Gord's singing. I've heard him really soar on this in the past during "anytime of the day was fine.." and get a great swell to his voice when hitting the last notes of "anytime of the night was also... Fine" Hearing Gordie bark that last note on Friday (for me) took away much of the effect of the song - a personal favorite tune of mine.

Maybe to the casual fan energy and antics are more appealing than singing. I wouldn't think that would be the case, but the Hip probably knows best. I know that as an avid fan (and again, I hesitate to assume that other devotees feel the same way) I'd prefer that Gord sing with a little less volume and instead concentrate on the purity of each note, the subtleties of each vocal turn, and using the bravado in his voice (as opposed to screaming) to crank it up a notch.

The rest of the boys were really on a rollicking level for the show, however. And my buddy, who has seen the Hip four times now, thought that the whole show was great. I don't want to give such a negative review, but this show was my 5th in the past fifteen months and 35th overall. It just seemed to be a regression from the more recent standout performances I'd seen. I didn't post reviews of those shows, but am inclined to do so after posting this diatribe...
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Thanks for your honest comments. I am looking forward to another review of this performance.
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

l
Last edited by tthhead87 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
twistmyarm
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by twistmyarm »

Thanks to those who posted reviews of this particular show. I was contemplating going up there myself just to see the Hip but after reading these reviews I'm glad I didn't venture up there after all!
nohochin
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nohochin »

Very interesting to hear these reviews. Maybe they were tired/beat down particularly from the previous few shows. It is a LONG way from Calgary to Fort Mac., for what turned out to be a total gong show by the sounds of it. The next night they played in Saskatoon, which I made the trip for, and I thought they were excellent. Maybe the fact that this particular leg of the tour was extra tough, along with the fact that the festival in Detroit was a bit different then they usually play factored in heavily to the product on stage.

Sorry to hear you guys didn't have a good time. Here's to the next one!

:-D

Nick
Saskatoon 11/18/96, Camrose ARA 7/19/97, Saskatoon 2/27/99, Vegas 8/9/02, SF 8/17/02, SF 8/18/02, SF 10/7/04, Vegas 3/21/07, LA 3/24/07, SF 3/26/07, Saskatoon 7/18/07, Brockville 2/21/08, Kingston 2/23/08, SF 6/13/09, SF 6/14/09, SF 12/10/12, SF 10/2/15, Victoria 7/22/16, Vancouver 7/24/16
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

tthhead87 wrote:sucked badddly...
I wasn't there, but i call bullshit on this one...I mean...it's the hip...playing live, there ain't nothin sucky about that my man.