09/11/07: Fredericton: Aitken Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Had a great roadtrip to Freddy to see the boys. Awesome show as usual, but it was a special awesome. Gord was well rested and he was on his game. Very animated and played the crowd a lot more than he normally does. Particularily the left side (Gord's right). A very nice mixture for a set list. My fav's being 100th, Dough and the show closer Grace Too.

Also, nice to meet fellow Hipbasers. Mark, Travis, the couple from Calgary out here on vacation (sorry I suck with names). I met several others in the crowd during and after the show. Rock on! The Fredericton crowd were awesome, no idiots and well behaved. They were just happy to have The Hip in town and it showed.

We reviewed the video on the way back to Halifax after the show. Looks and sounds good. I sent 3 rolls of film (gasp! film?!) to the developer and will be ready on Thursday so I'll have some to show/share at the gettogether before the Halifax show.

Cheers!
Darren
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Tthip wrote:The show is already on Etree:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509474
i wonder who taped it. can you post the .txt file?
tmux
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tmux »

=nvm
Last edited by tmux on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

mark wrote:
Tthip wrote:The show is already on Etree:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509474
i wonder who taped it. can you post the .txt file?
THE TRAGICALLY HIP
Fredericton, New Brunswick
The Aitken University Center
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Source: AT3035's (Cardioids, DIN 90°/20cm,) > Hydra XLR's > Busman Mod Fostex FR-2LE (24bit/96kHz)
Transfer: CF > USB 2.0 > Sound Forge 8.0 (Resample, Dither) > CD Wave 1.96.1 > FLAC (Level 5)
Taped and Transferred by Andrew Butler (andrewpaulbutler_at_gmail.com)
24bit/96kHz format is available upon request
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

awesome
Cookie.factory_West.Wind
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Cookie.factory_West.Wind »

I tried to download it, but the files (FLAC) won't play. Help!
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

get the FLAC plugin for winamp. google it.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

mark wrote:get the FLAC plugin for winamp. google it.
Or get a decoder and convert the FLACs to AIFF or WAV.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

mark wrote: rory, lance, darren, travis, sean, andrew... it was awesome to finally put a face to the avatars and posts. i am jealous that you guys get to do it all over again tomorrow.

rory, i am excited to see that dvd when it gets done. i am glad that you guys had no trouble getting your gear in. NB shows are rarely taped, so this will be a nice treat.

travis, did you get a ticket? i hope so. after we got separated there was a guy in the lobby selling tickets. i hope you got one.
Yeah, I was able to get a ticket. I was in section 4, row B. They were good seats..I prefer the floor though. I had a great time hanging out with you guys before the concert at Dolans...as it has been said, it was nice to put faces with nicknames. Hope to see you all again!!
prettythings
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by prettythings »

I am completely horrible with torrents, flac files, and well, just about everything. I would love to see the video. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Mac compatible decoder or plugin? I've been searching but not with much luck.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

does anyone have any idea what the setlist for the Sadies was?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

The DVD will be a while until it is completed and posted.

xACT is a free encoder/decoder for FLACs (and other formats): http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952
prettythings
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by prettythings »

thanks Chris, haven't come across that one. much appreciated! :)
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

From www.hereNB.com:

The Hip's energy alive on latest tour
Band comes to Fredericton's Aitken Centre September 11.

Published Thursday September 6th, 2007

Next year will be the silver anniversary for one of Canada's most popular and enduring rock bands, the Tragically Hip. The five-piece, responsible for such Canadian anthems as Ahead By A Century, Blow At High Dough, Grace, Too and New Orleans Is Sinking, will bring those hits plus material from last year's World Container album to the Aikten Centre in Fredericton on Tuesday, September 11.

While the band is fast approaching 25 years, guitarist Paul Langlois says the group's latest album has sparked something new within the group.

"It feels like there's kind of a new lease on life for all of us," he explains over the phone two weeks before the band's East Coast tour. "We were just excited to get this record out and play these songs live and to just be back doing it again."

The band -- Langlois, singer Gordon Downie, bassist Gord Sinclair, drummer Johnny Fay and guitarist Rob Baker -- will also perform shows in St. John's, Halifax, Sydney and Charlottetown this week.

Langlois says the new lease on life came from "a combination of a few things.

"Certainly Bob Rock being involved (the producer, famous for work with Metallica and Mötley Crüe among others, produced the Hip's World Container) was pretty exciting for us, even as it looked like a possibility before we ended up doing it.

"When we actually met him and started working with him, he was just really enthusiastic and really great at what he does. He just loves being in the studio. It was exciting for us. For anyone or any group, you sort of ebb and flow, and everyone was pretty keen about the whole thing."

Rock's enthusiasm and guidance in the studio boosted the band and produced an album Langlois says garnered a "really positive reaction from family and friends" when the band had the final mix in hand before it was released.

"We were just getting that kind of vibe from everybody around us that there was something special about this particular record. I think that kind of feeds through to us. And everybody, I think, felt really energetic and has felt really energetic about doing this tour. Now we've toured about nine months, and it's been long, but it's been good."

Working with a new producer doesn't always equal success for a band, but Rock came into the fold not trying to reinvent the Tragically Hip, but perhaps to put a slight spin on things.

"He knew that we'd been together for a long time, and he didn't want to take The Hip sound out of The Hip. No matter what a producer would do, we're still going to sound mostly like ourselves," Langlois says.

Rock did have a few suggestions for the group, the biggest of which was to just loosen up a bit and allow natural ideas to flow.

"He kind of really suggested a few times for us not to be so sort of precious about not showing our influences, not highlighting a chorus. We've always had the tendency of if there's a hook in a song to sort of downplay it and keep it subtle. That's not been a verbal discussion, it's just the way everyone has tended to kind of lean towards."

Langlois says the band has always been conscious that Hip songs needed to stand the test of time, so if there was a catchy chorus, the band wouldn't repeat it ad nauseam. The band mates didn't want to risk that it might become the hit of the week.

"Or if there's a hooky guitar part, we'll just throw it in a couple of times," he adds. "And I think Bob probably comes from a different perspective and was like, 'No dude, this tune sounds like The Clash, so you should play it like that or a bit more like that, like The Clash would.'

"If he heard a hook, he really encouraged us to highlight that. Now I wouldn't say that particular thing is so different from most producers because I think that's one of the producer's jobs is to find out what's appealing to his sort of objective ears. But Bob kind of loosened us up to that, like, 'What's so wrong about playing this like The Clash if you guys all like The Clash?'"

The album also strays occasionally from the Hip's traditional guitar-based sound. Pianos make appearances, and "some kind of grammaphone or whatever" is featured on the album's debut single In View.

Langlois says the album "Sort of has a bit of a spark of something new for us. I'm not really sure what that is, but it's a little more immediate maybe, whereas we've always been known as a band that makes records that take a few listens. I think this one is a little more immediate. That's me gauging my friends' reactions to it really. It's just really hard to tell when you're in the middle of it."

When Langlois called [here], he had just arrived in Toronto for the day after a four-week break from touring. He says the band members were lucky to have August off to relax and "hang out with the kids" after a busy nine months.

Asked about the band's longevity, Langlois says it feels like the band's biggest achievement is simply lasting so long with the same lineup (Davis Manning was a saxophone player in the band's early days, but since he left and Langlois joined in 1986, the lineup has remained the same).

"I don't know if there's a secret. But it feels like our biggest accomplishment is our ability to continue to really like each other and be able to get along well when we're not working and especially when we are working. When we're not working, it probably comes a bit more naturally because we all went to the same high school, we've known each other for so long."

He says working together is different and it requires a little more work. Decisions involving everything from schedules to finances to music can be difficult to come to an agreement on with five members in the band.

"These things are tough to do if you're not on how everybody is doing," he explains. "And I think there's been an interest on everyone's part to keep this band going and keep it healthy, so we do the little things that we need to do to make sure that this stays together. We're not at each others' throats. We do a lot of laughing and positive reinforcement. Fortunately I think it comes fairly naturally."

Langlois says he doesn't see an end in sight for the Tragically Hip.

"It really feels like we can keep it going for some time. It think everybody is feeling pretty good right now...unless they're not telling me something."

After the East Coast tour, the Hip will head to Europe for a two week tour, followed by another U.S. tour. Langlois says he expect the band will get to writing the follow-up to World Container late in the year and into next year. He hopes to have a new album complete by summer.

It comes as no surprise given the positive experience and success of working with Bob Rock that the Hip hopes to work with him again.

"We would love that. We saw (Rock) because he was touring a bit with (his band) The Payolas, and he rode on our bus when we played one night with those guys over the summer. He's into it too, we just have to see if the schedule allows him and us to get it done as quickly as we'd like to."
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

I really enjoyed that read!
Thanks for posting it!