07/17/07: Fort McMurray: MacDonald Island

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

07/17/07: Fort McMurray: MacDonald Island

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

Setlist anyone?
prairieman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by prairieman »

Here is the big review from http://www.mymcmurray.com

"The concert event of the year I think! How about you? The Hip get better and better everytime I see them. Ask anyone that has seen them live before and they will probably agree. We should all consider ourselves lucky to see the show the way we did, Outdoors, on a beautiful night, up close and personal. I was front row, and there's no way I'd be there in The Saddledome or Rexall Place. Hopefully you enjoyed the time from Rock 97-9 and RockIslandFest...see you out at Rock Island Thursday of next week for Matt Mays & El Torpedo and THORNLEY! Get tickets for that at Cowboys or Mac Island Box Office."

Environment Canada said yesterday that funnel clouds had been spotted out there in the late afternoon, so maybe the fooking setlist got blown away, this will probably be the worst review thread right up there with GP.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

A friend of mine just emailed me and said he was just speaking to a buddy of his who lives in Fort mac and was at the show. He said that the band, or maybe just Gord, seemed pissed off the whole show at the crowd and all the water baloons being thrown. Apparently they asked for security to remove a few people from the show and then they left after only 2 songs od the encore.

Second hand news mind you.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
2: Grace, Too
3: My Music At Work
4: It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
5: Family Band
6: Ahead By A Century
7: Yer Not The Ocean
8: Poets
9: World Container
10: Long Time Running
11: In View
12: Springtime In Vienna
13: At The Hundredth Meridian
14: Bobcaygeon
15: The Kids Don't Get It
16: Fully Completely
17: Blow At High Dough
--
18: The Drop-Off
19: New Orleans Is Sinking
20: Fire In The Hole
tmcewan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tmcewan »

I was at the show last night. It started off excellent with LEOTR, Grace Too and even Music at Work was great - I thought he really connected with the "working class" crowd there with it. After that song, Gord basically lost it on a few guys in the crowd who were crowd surfing and throwing their half full kokanee's five stories high in the air. A few were selected by Gord to get the boot, while the minors who were getting kicked in the head were upgraded to a spot beside the stage. Pretty classy move on Gord's part.

After that, the show lost alot of its energy, the hip "went through the motions" and probably didn't even stop for gas on their way out of McMurray. This city is a dump and the crowd last night did nothing but reinforce the stereotype. I can guarantee you the hip will never return to this city, and I can't blame them for it.

There were, however, lots of us there trying to make the best of it, but yet we had to pay the price for the drunks with a less-than-stellar show and a lackluster encore.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

I can understand your rage, but closing with Fire In the Hole is never lacklusture.

I hate how meatheads can ruin a show

Cheers,

Pat
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I'm surprised and disappointed that The Hip would play a show in Fort McMurray. With their efforts to go green, and fight for environmental causes, why would they play a show in the city responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than any other in the country? The production of oil from the oil sands not only produces tonnes and tonnes of CO2 during production, when burned the oil releases even more into the atmosphere. As well, in order to access the oil sands, thousands and thousands of hectares of forest must be clear cut, and then the land beneath the forest is destroyed.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

chris wrote:I'm surprised and disappointed that The Hip would play a show in Fort McMurray. With their efforts to go green, and fight for environmental causes, why would they play a show in the city responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than any other in the country? The production of oil from the oil sands not only produces tonnes and tonnes of CO2 during production, when burned the oil releases even more into the atmosphere. As well, in order to access the oil sands, thousands and thousands of hectares of forest must be clear cut, and then the land beneath the forest is destroyed.
Yes, but it's not the fans up there responsible for the damage but rather big corporate industry. Why punish fans for earning a living?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I see your point but to me it's a move that is contrary to their green initiatives.
tmcewan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tmcewan »

I should have clarified that Fire in the Hole was not played. Gord gave the signal to the boys that "that's it" after NOIS and the lights were turned on...

We had some of the most expensive tickets on tour, and a 2 song encore, so lackluster fits.
day_for_night
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by day_for_night »

chris wrote:I'm surprised and disappointed that The Hip would play a show in Fort McMurray. With their efforts to go green, and fight for environmental causes, why would they play a show in the city responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than any other in the country? The production of oil from the oil sands not only produces tonnes and tonnes of CO2 during production, when burned the oil releases even more into the atmosphere. As well, in order to access the oil sands, thousands and thousands of hectares of forest must be clear cut, and then the land beneath the forest is destroyed.
by that logic, they shouldn't be playing anywhere in alberta, as thats what the entire economy runs on...

there would be no calgary or edmonton without fort mac
toohip21
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by toohip21 »

I agree that the show had a weird vibe after Gord stopped the show during the 4th or 5th song. The crowd was pretty rowdy during the encore. Seemed more like a metal concert than a rock show. Too bad but I don't think we'll see them here again.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

day_for_night wrote:
by that logic, they shouldn't be playing anywhere in alberta, as thats what the entire economy runs on...

there would be no calgary or edmonton without fort mac
OK, then let's go with that rather than address or address the environmental issues caused by the activities in and around Fort McMurray.

Oil production from oil sands is unbelievably hard on the environment - that's the issue. (Along with our dependence on fossil fuels.) Oil acquired from wells is not by comparison.

The greenhouse gas emissions from the oil sands projects are unacceptable. Alberta's emissions are already 40% higher than the Kyoto benchmarks - and the oil sand projects will continue to drive them up!

Whatever... this is a music forum... I'll keep my environment concerns for my blog as they are lost here.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

While Billy raises a good point, you'd think Gord and the gang would have made a serious effort t'keep the fans aware of the band's enviromental concerns...If the crowd was pissing Gord off, you'd think he would've had an oppurtunity t'voice his frustrations and in turn, get in a few jabs of his own...All this coming from someone who wasn't even there, though...

But yeah, I think the band oughta stuck to their guns (That's assuming they even REALLY give a shit...) But if the White Stripes can boycott Clear Channel venues, why can't Das Hips boycott cities that further the ever-growing hole in the ozone?

The biggest drag though? No Fire In The Hole. Man that tune is awesome.
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress