07/04/07: Bala: The Kee

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:
trevor wrote:
hotmetal401 wrote:An instrumental Hiccups, or full on with lyrics? And in front of IOD? That's unique

Cheers,

Pat
no, there is something wrong here because they played an instrumental version of hiccups BEFORE daredevil (which is not on Chris's setlist by the way...)
My "12 minutes of awesome" was supposed to be beside DD, not IOD. I've corrected it (and the setlist) so it makes more sense now...
That makes a little more sense!
Must be the sleep deprevation!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I'm drifting in and out of consciousness today... that was a late night and a lot of driving. But totally worth it.

It was just the instrumental jam - no lyrics.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:I'm drifting in and out of consciousness today... that was a late night and a lot of driving. But totally worth it.

It was just the instrumental jam - no lyrics.
I hear ya.
And worth it!

Anyone going tonight will have a great time!
tragicallyphish
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tragicallyphish »

There was also a unplugged set for VIPs after the show on the outside deck. My buddy tried to get out after the show but was kicked out due to the fact that he didn't have a red wristband.

I bet that was sweet.

Great show can't wait for tonight
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

how is this place on letting cameras in?

how is this place for smoking the good stuff?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

tragicallyphish wrote:There was also a unplugged set for VIPs after the show on the outside deck. My buddy tried to get out after the show but was kicked out due to the fact that he didn't have a red wristband.

I bet that was sweet.

That would have been very cool to be a part of....
BDS28 wrote:how is this place on letting cameras in?

how is this place for smoking the good stuff?
Cameras - same policy as always.

Smoking, just like everywhere else in the province, is illegal indoors... so just go out on the big deck.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

tragicallyphish wrote:There was also a unplugged set for VIPs after the show on the outside deck. My buddy tried to get out after the show but was kicked out due to the fact that he didn't have a red wristband.

I bet that was sweet.

Man, I can't believe we missed that one!
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

How many people were there in total? Any guesses?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

960. Hip management said about 1000.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

farmerdan69 wrote:How many people were there in total? Any guesses?
We heard they sold 1,000 tickets but there weren't a thousand there. I thought capacity was 700 and that seems a little more reasonable.

There was still enough room to move and there were a lot of people dancing/waving their hands in front of cameras... :x

*EDIT: Chris! Stop typing so FAST! :rambo:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Listed capacity from thekee.com

Main Floor & Mezzanine: 720 People
Patio: 220 People
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

My comments on the show:

The venue was incredible, enjoying beers on the balcony (despite the lineup) was a great pre-show experience following the beautiful drive up to Bala.

I felt that Yer Not The Ocean was a great way for the hip to open up their dates at the kee. Grace, too was a highlight and the crowd seemed really into it at this point.

Last of the unplucked gems is one of my favorite hip tunes and I really enjoyed lastnights version, the intro created a really nice buildup. I remember during the intro thinking how lucky I was to be experiencing the hip at the Kee, and I think that is a memory Im going to have for a long time.

I really felt the setlist had a nice 'flow' to it at this point, with the slower more mellow gift shop/gems , then picking up with the world container / family band/ blow at high dough run. It was a good buildup to the songs that the crowd really liked to rock out to.

Wheat kings is another of my favorite hip songs and its a welcome addition to any set as far as Im concerned, so Im glad I got to hear 2 of my favorites on the night I attended.

I just got a phione call that is going to interrupt this review but I will come on and post the rest later ... but before I go I'll quickly add that the crowd (a very cool crowd throughout the whole show) was going nuts (as per usual with the hip chants) before the encore, and the floor was shaking like mad during music at work from everyone getting into the tune. I've been to probably 50 concerts and see many bands over the last four years, in venues big and small, and when I look back on it right now I would de finitely place this one in my top 5.

It was a nice drive back to Toronto playing back the highlights in my mind :)
ianmac
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Can;t imagine anything better than last night

Post by ianmac »

Wasaga Beach had been my most favourite before last night.

4 of us headed up from SW Ontario, traffic was great, Heard the sound check and a couple of the regular tapers said they did Cordila twice, so we were hope"n, but maybe tonight for you lucky people going.

A bit disapointed ( 1 out of 10 ) ( because of a short wife ) that we couldn't get upstairs but got our spot near the bar and on a couple of steps, Videoed about 10 songs with cam corder, hands were going to sleep, you know how many 7 or 8 minutes versions they did last night, a lot...My tape of Gems is a Gem and will upload it to utube soon.
The show........ Could only get better if they appear next in my back yard and played my set list...it was FANTASTIC.

Watching drunks during and after show was great, who gets all the cans and bottles on the floor??

What a drive home in the fog, plus had a tire come off a semi infront of us on Hwy 11

re-confirms my belief....The HIP are the great's band to see live anywhere

highlights, Gord talking to his pants, Gord humpin Johnny's drum set, a hug for Paul, Gord and Bobby in their own little world jammin

Heard that someone in the band was having a family wedding this weekend and thats why they were up there.

They can be the Kee house band anytime

Ian
TragicallyNiagara
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by TragicallyNiagara »

My 5th Hip show and by far the best. Got to the gates early, herd the soundcheck (sounded great) and then chilled out front and waited for the doors to open. The setlist and my spot for the show (couple rows back, would have gone closer but the stage was HUGE) were awsome. During Blow, Gord threw out to the crowd one of his hankies and i managed to snag it. Awsome show, great set, band was really into it, and best crowd ive been apart of.