10/26/07: Washington: 9:30 Club

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

10/26/07: Washington: 9:30 Club

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

Thanks to a bizarre fluke at work, i'm off tonight and can actually go to this! Who's with me! :rambo:
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

great show.....
SoylentGreg
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by SoylentGreg »

A-MAZE-ING. I don't have a setlist in mind, but the standouts were probably Fiddler's, Escape is at Hand, and Locked. Seriously, Locked tore the fucking house down :mrgreen: . Gord did a very nifty bit with a mic "stuck" in his chest during Courage. I'll post more and a setlist later once i'm rested and coherent. WHOO!

EDIT: Here's the setlist:

Main Set(I believe this is in order, I could be off a bit)
Ocean
NOIS
Fully
Escape
Family Band
Gift Shop
Pretend
Fireworks
100th
Fiddler's
Poets
In View
Ahead By A Century
Kids
Courage
Fire in the Hole

Encore(definitely in order)

Lonely End of the Rink
Bobcaygeon
Blow at High Dough
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

That was a great show, hot as hell in that place but who cares! Lots of fun...my friends and I had the biggest drunken singalong. LOL
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
Jimmy Crowe
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Jimmy Crowe »

Wow... it looks like you guys had a great show.

Nice set list.

Fire In The Hole... I haven't that one since the summer at The Kee To Bala.... NICE!
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

In order:

Ocean
New O (really solid -- the trip to the south has reborn this song)
Fully
Escape
Family
ABAC
Gift
In View
Courage
Pretend
Fireworks
Meridian
Fiddlers
Kids
Poets
Fire (with the Burning Church intro)
---
Rink
Bob C
Blow

What a night. More to follow when there's more time. But, wow, what a night.

Cheers,

Pat
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Okay, so I have a little more time.

The last time I was in Washington DC, I was 8. We did all the touristy stuff and stayed away from the locals. From that idea, you would think that DC is a lovely old city. And using the directions Mapquest gave us, driving through this elegant rich neighbourhood, I really thought that people were just lying about how cracked out the capital was.

Then we turn on to Florida Ave...

This show, number 20 for me, was one for the books. From the sheer insanity of the 9 hours drive through that unrelenting rain, to choosing a hotel that no pizza place would deliver to, to the KFC with the bullet proof glass, to finally seeing Fiddler's Green, this show will always have a soft spot with me.

The set was exactly what it needed to be. Puting New O back in the second slot really changes the energy that it's played with; going south hasn't hurt. At the end of the song, after the "I swear to God he said," GD just started shouting "We need help right now!" over and over. The song took on a new life post-Katrina, but it took them going down there to make it a special and almost new song again.

I noticed some slight rearrangements on this tour -- I think. Either that or the sound in this bar was just that phenominal. During the intro to Gift Shop, GD's guitar takes more of the mix, where you can actually tell he's really playing the instrument (on previous tours, I really thought it was just for show a lot nights). Langlois also takes a more prominent back up roll during Courage, especially at the end, with really auidble and crisp vocals.

GD was crazy, but he's not talking as much as he used to. Perhaps his best moment of fan interaction came when he was throwing his towel into the crowd during Rink, I think. About 25 seconds later, whoever caught the towel, threw it back at him, catching him off guard. Like the solid target he is though, he made a great glove save.

It was a Rob Baker night though. Baker was on fire throughout the entire gig, and provided us with one of the best versions of Blow I've seen, using a finger slide throughout most of the show and on the final solo.

And while the cover was not to be, Poets featured a great "Swim!" outro, and Fire had the "Burning Church" intro, complete with gospel choir. I wonder if they passed by the same line signifying the Mason-Dixon line that we did on the way down.

Gotta do this again next tour :)

Cheers,

Pat
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Great review! Thanks. :thumb: