11/02/07: Rochester: Auditorium Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

11/02/07: Rochester: Auditorium Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

fucking unreal what a show

more later nice to meet Hugh and his wife, sully ,jeffro, corpse ( mark, nice seats) and Mark slogget (sp ) sorry if i spelled it wrong. Also Joel's set kicked my ass he was awesome great opening band

Ron
jno
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jno »

Set list...

Ocean
NOIS
Good Life
Family Band
ABAC
Rink
Courage
WC
Scared
View
Vienna
Meridian
Bob C
Kids
Fully
Bones

Drop
Grace
Fireworks

Fifth time I've seen them on this tour, this show falls somewhere in the middle for me. It was one of the more energetic shows that I can remember, especially 100th Meridian. The more I hear Family Band live, the more I enjoy it. Scared was a solid performance, a nice way to slow things down coupled with World Container.

They really picked things up toward the end of the show, finishing with a solid five songs before the encore, which was a pretty good set. Any set that includes Grace, Too is a great night for me.

Noticed Gordie busted out a new move with the microphone stand, bending over and flipping it over his shoulder to his other side. Haven't seen them since Artpark in July, but that was certainly a nice addition that got a great response from the crowd.

The venue was very nice, reminded me of the Erie show in May at Warner Theatre. Here's to hoping the band doesn't stay idle for long, as its only been 11 hours since the show ended and I'm ready for another show.
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Addition to that setlist they played M@W after NOIS before Good Life

Much better show then cuse as far as band performance
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

Excellent show! I couldn't believe how good the sound was in that venue, it was tremendous. Gord was super-animated and his antics during the show were very entertaining... bending 2 mic stands in half, some sort of almost vaudeville type thing during 100th when, among other things, he kept chasing the mic and "accidentally" kicking it away from himself, all the various dances and other moves... very memorable. At this show I was reminded again at how in tune these guys are in with each other, how well Gord plays off the other four and how well they play off him. For example, during My Music at Work, Gord was trying some of his usual mic play when he dropped it just as he was about to start singing. The band kept going and playing, staying in time, in tune and on track as if nothing had happened... almost as if it was planned, even. Truly incredible.

The setlist was geared toward the new CD and the hits for the most part, but that was fine with me as a couple weeks ago I hadn't planned on being there. At first when I heard Courage I thought I could have done without it, but when Gord turned the last verse into a full crowd singalong I was glad they played it. I met a really nice guy from Buffalo, we chatted about a bunch of things, he didn't even give me too much grief for being a Leaf fan! :D Only thing is, he couldn't tell his Wheat Kings from his Bobcaygeon, at first anyway. :lol: Oh well, no ones perfect... and if he does become a member here, then I'll say this... hope we meet again, buddy, and I owe you a beer! :thumb:

All in all, a fantastic show and, despite the LONG hours of driving there and back, very well worth it. 7 Hip shows attended... can't wait for #8! :jump
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

The sold out concert at the Rochester auditorium began with Canadian and U.S. fans trying to chant louder than each other. A large group of Canadians sitting in the balcony began chanting "Let's Go Leafs". The New York fans responded with "Let's Go Buffalo". The crowd's energy was high as everyone shouted back and forth. In the midst of all this, The Hip came on stage.

The set list was a good mix of old and new songs. Gord D began ABAC stating, "Girl, I know the person you are. I know the future I got." Robbie played his acoustic guitar as he usually does during this song. At the end, Robbie switched to his electric and played a great new solo. It was a refreshing change to a great song. During Rink, Gord was a hockey player stickhandling and dekeing back and forth across the stage.

The 100th Meridian was definitely a highlight of the show. During the musical break Gord D was uncanny. Everthing began with a woman throwing her bra at Gord. He caught it and gave it a sniff. Then Gord had a mikestand battle. He battered the stand, giving it a number of hip checks. Gord used the mikestand like a metal detector on the beach. Then Gord did something amazing. He flipped the mikestand into the air, rolling it over his back. The mikestand did one full rotation and landed perfectly upright on the stage. Now the stand was a rifle and Gord was a soldier marching back and forth. Gord then took the upper half of the stand and twirled it like a baton. He walked back and forth, raising it high and low while continuing to twirl it perfectly. This drew a large round of applause from the Auditorium. Gord then threw the stand like a spear. It landed right next to Paul. Lastly, Gord used the microphone as a golf ball. He did a great imitation of hitting it back and forth across the "fairway". Gord would take a fake backswing and come down at the "ball". When his imaginary club should strike the "ball", he would kick the mike and it would fly across the stage. The sight of Gord swinging and the sound effect of Gord kicking the mike made the golfing look and sound realistic. Gord's whole "act" for this song was very entertaining.

Little Bones ended the main set. Gord mangled his mikestand and bent it into an "L" shape. His microphone became a paint brush. He used it to "paint" the fans. After the encore break The Hip came out for 3 more high energy songs. The Auditorium was in a frenzy. As Fireworks finished Gord said, "Rochester, this is what you sound like..." and he held his mike out to the crowd. A huge roar welled up. Gord then snuffed his mike out on the stage like a used up cigarette and causually left the stage.
VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

This was my 6th show and I was absolutely floored when the boys broke out into the raucous jam during Meridian. Easily one of the most high-energy shows I have had the priviledge to see. Gord's antics were very entertaining and it was interesting to see him not do as many rants during songs and let the jamming do the talking. I totally missed the woman throwing the bra! :lol: :lol: . I was sitting Orch LC next to two couples, one of whom hadnt had the chance to see the Hip in seven years. Highlights for me were Scared, Springtime in Vienna, Family Band, BobC and IAGLIYDW.
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

Great show, great time. Saw a lot of familiar faces at the show and met a bunch of new people too. (i see you had practicly the same seat as last time Ron, those are nice too though). We had 4th row (Robby side)and were sitting right in front of the mike set up for the guys taping. (sorry, forgot/couldn't hear your names, but thanks!) Took pix which came out like crap but I'll post some on the pix site in a couple days, lazy right now.
Anyway it was a great night and can't wait till next or next next year :thumb:
cbeach401
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by cbeach401 »

Awesome show, can't say enough about the energy in this one. Courage, Meridian and Sprintime In Vienna were definite highlights for me for the older stuff. Drop Off was also really sweet (that might be my favourite song on World Container). Overall, I actually appreciated having such sampling from World Container as given how this was my last (of four) show on this tour and who knows how heavy they'll keep them in rotation next time around.

Great to meet the band after the show and even more the other fans waiting around... especially the dedicated dude who drove down from Timmins!

Thanks guys, see you next time 'round!
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

Wow, where to start. Show number 20 for me and easily the most memorable. We got to our seats early to catch Joel Plaskett's set and were pleasantly surprised to find out the Pit seats were not numbered/reserved, so we were front row centre. I would echo previous comments regarding the high energy and Gord D at his entertaining best. Rochester Auditorium Theatre is my favorite venue to see the Hip. Great sound and always a nice mix of people, that the band seems to feed off of. Song highlights for me would be Scared, however I thought the entire set was very energetic and ended as strong as it started. My biggest thrill of the night was having Johnny hand me his sticks at the end of the show and then having the honor of meeting him and the boys (except for Paul) back stage, afterwards. Rob spent quite a bit of time with us, talking about many things, including hockey and the band. Look for at least a couple more shows before the new year. Following some down time, the boys may head into the studio (Bath) with Bob Rock again, to work on the first few tracks for the next album, which could be out before the end of ’08. We were talking about the Hip performing cover songs on this tour and Rob mentioned that the idea of a Hip album of covers has been discussed. It was really great to meet the boys…very down to earth and gracious. A memorable night indeed.
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Dire Wolf wrote:Wow, where to start. Show number 20 for me and easily the most memorable. We got to our seats early to catch Joel Plaskett's set and were pleasantly surprised to find out the Pit seats were not numbered/reserved, so we were front row centre. I would echo previous comments regarding the high energy and Gord D at his entertaining best. Rochester Auditorium Theatre is my favorite venue to see the Hip. Great sound and always a nice mix of people, that the band seems to feed off of. Song highlights for me would be Scared, however I thought the entire set was very energetic and ended as strong as it started. My biggest thrill of the night was having Johnny hand me his sticks at the end of the show and then having the honor of meeting him and the boys (except for Paul) back stage, afterwards. Rob spent quite a bit of time with us, talking about many things, including hockey and the band. Look for at least a couple more shows before the new year. Following some down time, the boys may head into the studio (Bath) with Bob Rock again, to work on the first few tracks for the next album, which could be out before the end of ’08. We were talking about the Hip performing cover songs on this tour and Rob mentioned that the idea of a Hip album of covers has been discussed. It was really great to meet the boys…very down to earth and gracious. A memorable night indeed.
Wow! There's alot of news jammed packed in there! Thanks for the update!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
writingonthewall
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by writingonthewall »

Good show, think they are sick of touring didn't feel genuine, maybe I was looking for that one gem of a song, ya know, the one that makes your eyes well up with emotion...
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

I saw a few shows on this tour...none were as small as this venue.

Joel Plaskett did a fantastic job as opener...not a lot of TTH fans in their seats for that one(at least in the upper level)...anyways when Joel does Snowed In and switches from electric to acoustic midsong it is, by far, one of those great RnR moments. I've seen Joel a bunch of times now and I think Ashtray Rock is an incredible cd...Maybe We Should Just Go Home as a closer...perfect set!

Joel's playing 4 nights in early December at the Horseshoe Tavern for all those people who might want to see him again...

We met Gord S at the hotel in Rochester. Nice guy.

As far as TTH shows goes it was worth the ticket price, hotel and gas.
The band was on fire. Gord was especially animated...more than I had ever seen him...I can still remember his "grooving" he was doing at the left side of the stage...what a frontman to have...clearly waaay waaaay into it...it's impossible not to see him and to not get it...

Loved Scared...but I especially travelled for those quality new songs.

In View still doing it to me...
Vingal10
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Vingal10 »

I was a bit disappointed.
I mean Gordi was on, his antics were amazing as usual. They sounded great and I enjoyed the show.
However, I am just a little pissed that they did not change their set from the previous night in Syracuse.
3 songs changed...
Good Life instead of DD
Scared instead of Wheat
Bones instead of Blow.

They didn't even bother to change the order of the set
and the entire encore stayed the same!

Boo, I don't go to all the shows just to see them going through the motions.

On a positive side... I am fast approaching my 40th Hip Show and I would say WC is their best ALBUM and TOUR since PP in '98.
Cheers,
Vinny