2007-07-15 - Calgary, AB (Saddledome)

Gather around the fan

Moderators: Corby, Moderators

Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

2007-07-15 - Calgary, AB (Saddledome)

Post by Corby »

I'll be at this show and would like to record video if there is anyone else attending.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I will be there and was only planning audio. I think we are sitting next to each other Corby. I am in row 6, 41 I think.
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

I just checked my tickets, Same row, other side, seat 7.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Corby wrote:I just checked my tickets, Same row, other side, seat 7.
dam force my hand... I might have to tape after all!

What can I say, its in my blood!
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

what gear to you have Corby?
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

bigA wrote:what gear to you have Corby?
I'll be bringing my Canon HV10. HiDef, miniDV. I'll be investing in a monopod before the shows, too. I was suggested to get a Manfrotto, but I'll probably shop around a bit and see all the options.

My backup, if I can get find someone to use it, is an older Sony Handicam, anaolog. It has 16x9 capability but the visual quality pales in comparison to these new HD corders.
Last edited by Corby on Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Manfrotto is about 100.00 for the free standing one, and is the best one for he job. I have a spare head that you can buy.
Corby
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corby »

bigA wrote:Manfrotto is about 100.00 for the free standing one, and is the best one for he job.
Thanx for affirming what I was told. I'll probably end up with one of those.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

bigA wrote:Manfrotto is about 100.00 for the free standing one, and is the best one for he job. I have a spare head that you can buy.
I have a very basic Monopod (Manfrotto 676) which I use for taking climbing photos etc. Do you guys know if the additional screw-on heads would fit my monopod? If it does, I'll pick one up, and hopefully I'll be able to acquire a camera (either borrow or buy) to hopefully tape Wintersleep when they come to London...
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I think they are standard, so it should fit.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

bigA wrote:I think they are standard, so it should fit.
Cool. I shall investigate further. Thanks Adrian.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

There are two standard size screws on the tops of monopods - and most Manfrottos have both, one recessed inside the other.

You should have no problem getting one to fit it Ben. But unless your monopod is self-standing, with three little legs at the bottom, the head is a bit of a useless investment.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote: You should have no problem getting one to fit it Ben. But unless your monopod is self-standing, with three little legs at the bottom, the head is a bit of a useless investment.
Really? I thought it would be ok, but I'd just have to hold it the whole time, or is there something else I've overlooked?

Thanks for the info though, chris.
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

The Barfly in London is difficult to shoot because of the low stage - unless it changed - I was there in Mar '04 for Sam Roberts. I filmed from the soundboard and I could only really get the heads in the shot.

You would be wise to get there early and shoot from either corner by the speakers at the front of the stage.

You probably would be OK with a non-self standing monopod. Just use your body to support it.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

markslog wrote:The Barfly in London is difficult to shoot because of the low stage - unless it changed - I was there in Mar '04 for Sam Roberts. I filmed from the soundboard and I could only really get the heads in the shot.

You would be wise to get there early and shoot from either corner by the speakers at the front of the stage.

You probably would be OK with a non-self standing monopod. Just use your body to support it.
Cheers Mark. If I do decide (and video the show) I was planning to get down the front. I'll definitely do audio either way.