Tapers Forum News

Gather around the fan

Moderators: Corby, Moderators

applecakes
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:30 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by applecakes »

They have let tapers record at Massey Hall before ie: Ryan Adams

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadam ... sbd.flac16


So hopefully Hip will be OK too.
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

applecakes wrote:They have let tapers record at Massey Hall before ie: Ryan Adams

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadam ... sbd.flac16


So hopefully Hip will be OK too.
Ryan Adams allowed soundboard patches... I wonder if the venue crew knew what was going on? No mic stands to give away the fact that it was being recorded.

Mark said it was a task to get everything approved to record the Rheos final show there.

EDIT: Looking closer at the source of that recording, they had mics as well so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And if anyone wants to sponsor my admission to the first three Massey shows so I can record it, let me know. :thumb:
User avatar
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by Mr. Dave »

Both venues are not taper friendly.

Dave Klein had to go through a bunch of red tape to record that show I believe, I know he wasn't allowed to tape Wilco there once because of the union and he is friends with their sound guy.

Like I said in another thread let's hope Mav and their management are able to work everything out before the shows.
User avatar
Zenith
Completist
Completist
Posts: 1674
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:39 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by Zenith »

Hey guys,

Well, I'm going to one of the Fillmore shows in San Francisco! I'm really excited! Does anyone know of any tapers heading down that way? I could tun audio there if need be. We'll also have a video camera that we could use...
User avatar
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by WesleyC. »

Chris, Thanks for that info on your " equipment " could not be any more precise. The pictures were a great bonus also.

And as for the union rules trumping the band. Well f**k the union rules. They would not be working if it were not for the band coming to play so I really thing the band rules should trump.
User avatar
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:39 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by mojo_mattv »

WesleyC. wrote:Chris, Thanks for that info on your " equipment " could not be any more precise. The pictures were a great bonus also.

And as for the union rules trumping the band. Well f**k the union rules. They would not be working if it were not for the band coming to play so I really thing the band rules should trump.
You clearly aren't unionized lol, if these workers weren't operating the venue, then the hip wouldn't be able to play...
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

mojo_mattv wrote:You clearly aren't unionized lol, if these workers weren't operating the venue, then the hip wouldn't be able to play...
If unionized workers weren't operating the venue, non-unionized workers would be. And The Hip would put on their show just the same.
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

WesleyC. wrote:Chris, Thanks for that info on your " equipment " could not be any more precise. The pictures were a great bonus also.
You're welcome. Now get out there, record, and share.
User avatar
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by Shane Kroeker »

Seeing as the concerts are quickly approaching, we should make a list of Shows and Recorders, to ensure that we get it all on tape!
User avatar
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:28 pm

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by Hairbird »

Mr. Dave wrote:Both venues are not taper friendly.

Dave Klein had to go through a bunch of red tape to record that show I believe, I know he wasn't allowed to tape Wilco there once because of the union and he is friends with their sound guy.

Like I said in another thread let's hope Mav and their management are able to work everything out before the shows.
Any inside word on whether the band has managed to negotiate a deal to allow taping at Massey Hall? Obviously some recordings have come out of Centre In The Square, so I suppose that’s a good sign.

I guess that I’ll be bringing my gear to the 5/11, 5/12 and 5/16 shows. Hopefully I’ll finally get to use it for the first time since January ’07! I got my Edirol R-09 that month, but never received my mics (SP-CMC-2 {AT831}) or battery box (SP-SPSB-1) from The Sound Professionals before the Hip shows in The Soo, Barrie and Sudbury. I haven’t had the chance to record since (who has 3 kids these days?).

I’m still very grateful to Mark, Dave, Steve and Chris and everyone else who gave me some great advice at the time, helped me understand a bit, and hopefully to choose some decent equipment. Steve even lent me a battery box and mics to try out in Sudbury, but stupidly enough I had the thing on pause for most of the show! The songs that I ended up getting turned out well, and I managed to get Kathleen Edwards’ set. I had recorded the other 3 shows I saw that month with the R-09’s internal mics, but thankfully better recordings came out quickly.

So, now how do I join this T.H.E. Union? Oh, forget it, with my seniority I’d probably be laid-off by May 17th anyway!
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

There was no issue in Kitchener at all - we just walked in with our gear. The only comment made - and it was only a comment, they didn't look in the gear bags - was that detachable lenses were not allowed.

So, fingers are crossed for Massey Hall.
User avatar
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:39 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by mojo_mattv »

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do? Just walk in with this stuff and set up before the show. I've seen some of you at show's when you're recording video (that's a little more obvious), but I never notice the audio tapers. What do you do with the mics and all the gear when recording? Do you have to stay pretty quiet through out the show so you don't pick yourself up singing instead of the band? Do you have to stand a certain distance from speakers? Do you need to drink the kool-aid to start taping? I'd love to start, but alas, broke ass university student. Still interested regardless.
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

mojo_mattv wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do? Just walk in with this stuff and set up before the show. I've seen some of you at show's when you're recording video (that's a little more obvious), but I never notice the audio tapers. What do you do with the mics and all the gear when recording? Do you have to stay pretty quiet through out the show so you don't pick yourself up singing instead of the band? Do you have to stand a certain distance from speakers? Do you need to drink the kool-aid to start taping? I'd love to start, but alas, broke ass university student. Still interested regardless.
When you saw me at The Music Hall I had my mics clipped to my camera stand.

The best spot to mount the audio gear is close to the soundboard as that's where the sound should be the best - because the soundguy mixes to what he hears...

The mics are usually put on a stand and the stand is raised to about 8 feet or so - again this depends on the venue, where we're set-up, etc. If stands are not allowed the mics are clipped to our shirt collar or brim of a ball cap.

All of my gear can fit in my pockets.
Audio
Church Audio CA-11 (Omnis and Cards) Microphones
Church Audio CA-9100 Preamp
Church Audio eBay Store
Something similar to this:
Image

Tascam DR-1 Recorder
Image

Some folks have more extensive kits, but they usually fit in a small backpack. Run the wires from the mics to the bag, place the bag on the floor between your feet, or under the seat.

We stay pretty quiet so that we just get the band, but there are different kinds of mics, and different pickup patterns that also help. Certain mics are very directional - meaning they pick up what they are pointed at - whereas others are omnidirectional - they pick up sounds from all directions.

Understanding how these mics work, and where to place them results in the best recordings.

markslog, Mr. Dave and dreyfuss are much more experienced in this than I am and I'm sure that they can elaborate if you need more info.

And as for being a poor student - it's not that expensive to get into it. A set-up like mine is less than $500 - and you can scale mine back to just the recorder and mics (eliminate the preamp) when you start out.
User avatar
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:39 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by mojo_mattv »

Would eliminating the preamp not result in a much poorer quality recording? So most of the time would you seek a seat near the sound board or would you set up your gear and leave it (sounds sketchy)? Is it complicated after you get the recording, as in converting audio formats etc.?
User avatar
chris
The Last Recluse
Posts: 8673
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:04 am

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by chris »

mojo_mattv wrote:Would eliminating the preamp not result in a much poorer quality recording? So most of the time would you seek a seat near the sound board or would you set up your gear and leave it (sounds sketchy)?
No - you can eliminate the preamp and achieve fine sounding recordings as long as you have the right recorder for your mics.

The set-up I have works just fine without the preamp - but I prefer to use the amp/attenuator/high pass filter in the preamp instead of the what's in the recorder.

If you can get seats near the soundboard that's ideal.

If you know the sound guys, it's a small venue, and you feel comfortable setting your gear up and leaving it, you can do it. Or just record from your seat. The sound at your seat, in most venues, is going to be good - maybe not the best in the entire venue, but it will still be good...
Post Reply