Tapers Forum News

Gather around the fan

Moderators: Corby, Moderators

Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: Tapers Forum News

Post by Mr. Dave »

If you think would like to get into it now that pretty much means you should start asap because all tapers have the same two regrets 1. We all wish we started earlier and 2. We all wish we had better mics to start with.

Believe me if you start taping in a year you'll think back saying "Shit remember that show, wish I was taping then.

It's also hell of a lot cheaper to start taping now then it was 8 years ago when I started, better products with better prices.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Mr. Dave wrote:If you think would like to get into it now that pretty much means you should start asap because all tapers have the same two regrets 1. We all wish we started earlier and 2. We all wish we had better mics to start with.

Believe me if you start taping in a year you'll think back saying "Shit remember that show, wish I was taping then.

It's also hell of a lot cheaper to start taping now then it was 8 years ago when I started, better products with better prices.
Regret #1 hurts me every time I see Mr. Dave and/or markslog as they taunt me about a show I attended that went untaped... or they're just hoarding it.
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

mojo_mattv wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do? Just walk in with this stuff and set up before the show. I've seen some of you at show's when you're recording video (that's a little more obvious), but I never notice the audio tapers. What do you do with the mics and all the gear when recording? Do you have to stay pretty quiet through out the show so you don't pick yourself up singing instead of the band? Do you have to stand a certain distance from speakers? Do you need to drink the kool-aid to start taping? I'd love to start, but alas, broke ass university student. Still interested regardless.
aside from being able to listen to the shows you were at again, you'll also meet alot of nice people and probably experience and share new bands and music. i know i have.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Nice one Dana.
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Tthip wrote:Image
That is brilliant :thumb:
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

The number of times Steve (dreyfuss) has run out of batteries recently I wouldn't be surprised if he took this method up for taping the shows in the future.

srb wrote:
Tthip wrote:Image
That is brilliant :thumb:
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

Then he would run out of pens or feathers.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here's a great deal on a basic recorder: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... R-07-PROMO

It's the Tascam DR-07 for just $145.00
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

OK CHRIS or anybody else in the know. Im going to the NOTL show this coming Saturday, today is Wednesday. Obviously I have left this to late to order something off the internet. Can any of you guys link me to something of good to great quality that I can buy from a store around Southern Ontario area? Im not exactly sure what to buy or where to go, but I would not mind taping this Saturdays show.
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

you got loads of time i'd put it off a bit longer.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

WesleyC. wrote:OK CHRIS or anybody else in the know. Im going to the NOTL show this coming Saturday, today is Wednesday. Obviously I have left this to late to order something off the internet. Can any of you guys link me to something of good to great quality that I can buy from a store around Southern Ontario area? Im not exactly sure what to buy or where to go, but I would not mind taping this Saturdays show.
Is there a music store near you? If so just go in and see what they have. Tascam, Edirol and Zoom all make handheld devices that will get you a recording. Without skill and external mics, a battery box/preamp, etc, you might not love the result but it'll be a recording of the event.

You could also get an attachment for an iPhone...

Or follow the direction of Mr. Dave. He knows his shit.
Mr. Dave
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Mr. Dave »

what's your budget? Good $1000 great upward of $3-5k

A recorder is probably easy to find in stock but finding good mics in time would be difficult.
good chance of the recording not coming out good with any set up since you have no experience with it and it always takes some time with new gear even for someone who has taped for years.
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

Thanks guys!!!! Im gonna take my camera and do some video in HD. It wont sound great but its video. I will look into a recorder online Im sure I will find something nice if I take the time.