Taping With a Point and Shoot Camera - Tips

Gather around the fan

Moderators: Corby, Moderators

thebends
Completist
Completist

Taping With a Point and Shoot Camera - Tips

Post by thebends »

I've been trying to tape live concert songs with an Olympus Super Wide HD P&S camera with little success. Despite trying different options all I'm getting is very grainy video with terribly distorted sound. Can anyone share any tips on improving the results?
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
li99sh79
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: Taping With a Point and Shoot Camera - Tips

Post by li99sh79 »

My hunch is that the built-in microphone in the camera is not really designed to handle high SPL environments like a concert, so distorted sound is just something you'll have to deal with. But that might also be my own personal prejudices showing.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Audio - "li99sh79" is correct. Some cameras are better than others when it comes to audio but generally they all have issues with loud concerts.

Video - zoom out, test out the different kinds of metering your camera has (if any), and keep the camera as steady as possible.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Thanks guys. Based on the number of shows we go to I'm pretty close to getting some proper gear.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

I bought many and although a few maybe much better the line of Sony's have very decent audio for a point and shoot. H20 models from last few years especially. plus very good photos as well.