02/21/08: Brockville: Brockville Arts Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
metronome
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by metronome »

Yeah I understand it was a warm up, but I would think they would want to use it to iron out the kinks in the songs they haven't played a thousand times.
debbey
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by debbey »

Lucky Lucky :mrgreen:

I would have to make two wishes.. #2 wish..a lot closer to Toronto (in Toronto)

#1 wish.. to be able to get a 'good ticket'..
Tickets always go on sale during business hours M-F... times when I am unable to go online..

Someday, I guess...the odds will be in my favour :wink:

Cheers! 8)
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

I just gotta say wow, how frikkin amazing was that!!!
This group of guys just get better and better....

tina
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

trevor wrote:Did they just stop playing after Fiddler's?
Or did you just go to bed Chris?
I got tired and went to bed. markslog sent the rest of the setlist, I just didn't get it posted.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:
trevor wrote:Did they just stop playing after Fiddler's?
Or did you just go to bed Chris?
I got tired and went to bed. markslog sent the rest of the setlist, I just didn't get it posted.
thought so!

Thanks anyway for posting the first half...it was nice to see before I hit the sack...
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

Hammer wrote: There didn't seem to be too much going on out of the ordinary from Gordie, but I can't be too sure about that as I couldn't see 50% of the concert because of some guy jumping around infront of me and quite a few other people.

I don't have any issues with people standing up if everyone else is doing the same thing, but when you're the only person in the whole section standing up and you have 10+ people behind you of which you are blocking their view of the stage, that's just plain rude. True, you paid your money to go to the show and you are free to do whatever you want, but everyone else paid their money to hear and SEE The Hip, not hear The Hip and see YOU
Were you on the right hand balcony? I was on the left and most of our section stood the entire time, but the middle and right I couldn't tell, except for a few that I could see. I was 2 rows from the top, and still decent view of everything.
teemudog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by teemudog »

I agree this show was a warm up since they have been off for awhile.
I too was happy to hear Wheat Kings and Fiddlers Green and 38 Years Old in the same show. In the U.S. it usually is a 'greatest hits' show but there are no complaints from me ever. This is about the size of venue they usually play in Phoenix, AZ so I am excited to get to see them in a large venue in Kingston!

Hey Mav, nice meeting you last night.

Cheers,
JoAnn
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Looks like a "singles" show to me. Every song played with the exception of Fiddlers and Kids were radio single songs. At least you got a nice long setlist in a super small venue. I remember Belleville and it was just totally awesome to be in such a small place.
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

Everyone on the main floor stood for the entire show and so far as I could tell (in the middle section closer to the back, so I had a view of the entire crowd on the floor) everyone seemed well-behaved and friendly.

I didn't mean to slam the setlist, but since it was a fanclub show, I was somewhat expecting a few more less obvious selections. Oh well, live and learn. (Hard to believe, but I've seen three shows since WC came out, and saw fiddler's green at every one of them. Bizarre.)
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Amazing. Sure, was close to the same set list I've seen a few times...but I really didn't care. Gord was in great form (help from the crowd members with the mic, picking pockets), the crowd was into it in our area of the floor. Amazingly, in the now almost 20 years I have seen the band (yikes...) only the second time I have seen 38 Years Old..that I can remember, other was as Richardson Stadium in Kingston. Locked, have not seen that in awhile either.

Would be cool to seem some more old gems, but if they played the exact same set list on Saturday night I would walk away just as happy as I was last night.

I'd really like to thank the band and their support staff for pulling this off. For all the complaining about pre-sales, ect. this was a really cool thing to do to make sure that fans saw the band in an intimate venue.
coldlakeswimmer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

I was "a stander"...

Post by coldlakeswimmer »

Hammer wrote:

There didn't seem to be too much going on out of the ordinary from Gordie, but I can't be too sure about that as I couldn't see 50% of the concert because of some guy jumping around infront of me and quite a few other people.

I don't have any issues with people standing up if everyone else is doing the same thing, but when you're the only person in the whole section standing up and you have 10+ people behind you of which you are blocking their view of the stage, that's just plain rude. True, you paid your money to go to the show and you are free to do whatever you want, but everyone else paid their money to hear and SEE The Hip, not hear The Hip and see YOU

Were you on the right hand balcony? I was on the left and most of our section stood the entire time, but the middle and right I couldn't tell, except for a few that I could see. I was 2 rows from the top, and still decent view of everything.
I was the only one in my section (front center balcony) who was excited enough to stand up, and got superpoked immediately by the ass behind me. I have the bruise to prove it. I guess I was the band leader of the geriatric section which really sucked.

We drove 5 hours straight and it was the most intimate gig I have seen yet of 40 shows. The guy behind me pretty much ruined my night, so sorry if it seems rude to stand up but I paid my dues too, and I like to enjoy my music. If you want to sit and tap yer feet go to a Michael Bolton concert for fucks sakes.

The band was amazing. The crowd where I was, ah, not so much. :x
ceebuler
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ceebuler »

I agree with the standers, and will never poke anyone for standing even if I become a sitter in old age.

If everyone's lying down on the floor, it is not wrong to sit up, and if everyone's sitting, it is not wrong to stand. Standing on the seat is probably going too far though. And it does suck when drunks are falling all over you.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

I hear you. I looked down on your section to see the stage. It don't seem right to use those seats for sitting. They're for your coats. I was about 10 feet from one of the spot lights and it was hot as f**k.

Too bad the ass behind you dampened your Brockville experience. It was so nice to walk out, no traffic, no headaches (except slight deafness), and be home in a few minutes.

The show was well done. Compared to my last show in Ottawa last year, they played 8 songs in BVille that weren't on the Ottawa set list. That's a decent amount.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Down on the floor I said to my wife "I hope this is a standing show". I was 2nd row, left orchestra. Security was good at keeping the aisles clear, but let people stand up and move around in the available space. I was right near the "older guy" who danced his ass off all night (had driven from Baltimore) and was rewarded with a piece of the microphone stand.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

its a rock show not a ballet stand up and go crazy, everyone is there for a goodtime, and if you are there to study the hip. Hipfans will release a dvd you can watch SITTING on your couch at home and analyze the concert! In the meantime have fun! A concert is all about the atmosphere and the freedom to dance, stand sit or whatever you want as long it is not harming anyone around you. Who cares about proper manners or being rude its a Rock Concert !