02/23/08: Kingston: Kingston Regional Sports & Entertain

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
teemudog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by teemudog »

I almost feel guilty by the fact everyone around me was just enjoying the show and having great time.

I hope your daughters coat came clean...

and to Chris, I will definitely do the poster thing, that is too bad, that idiots come out when alchohol is involved. :roll:

The show was incredible for me. The setlist, like Brockville was excellent and had all (almost) my favorites. I must say Pigeon did surprise me, and yeah, Dan on harp was a treat in Locked.

One moment (,you know, one of those what? what is wrong with you? moments...) happened when Gordie gave a woman 4 people down from me the mic stand, she was reluctant to take it, Gordie almost had to force her to grab it, then she says to her husband, "now what am I supposed to do with this?"
We all just looked at her in disbelief, and so I ask her "What the heck were you doing in the front row?!" They did not seem to enjoy it very much.

Cheers, its back to Phoenix for me, I had a great trip and to all you guys here on the forum, it was indeed a pleasure to meet you! Mav, Nick, Brian, and Scotty, hope to see you all again!
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

I was in the 3rd row, and the woman in front of us got a mic. Her and her boyfriend didn't sing a single lyric - we couldn't figure out why they were there. The other 2 women beside them were actually sitting down during the first encore. I said "who sits down during an encore?!", and they just gave me dirty looks.

After the show I also noticed that my jacket had fallen on the ground and had become trampled and covered in beer. Thanks guys!

Its too bad that the only real fans I saw around me were the 3 other people I was there with.

Good show though! Nice arena!
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

paulster2626 wrote:I was in the 3rd row, and the woman in front of us got a mic. Her and her boyfriend didn't sing a single lyric - we couldn't figure out why they were there. The other 2 women beside them were actually sitting down during the first encore. I said "who sits down during an encore?!", and they just gave me dirty looks.

After the show I also noticed that my jacket had fallen on the ground and had become trampled and covered in beer. Thanks guys!

Its too bad that the only real fans I saw around me were the 3 other people I was there with.

OMG!!!!111 real fans are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!111 other people sux0rs!!!!!!!1!!!
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

Gord came over during the encore to our side of the stage and gave a microphone stand piece, a hanky, and a pick to three people directly in front of us. Two were skanks who didn't even sit there, they just showed some cleavage to the security and he let them stay there.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Last edited by Tthip on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
nohochin
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nohochin »

I was seated right next to teemudog, front row center, which was amazing! The show had an amazing amount of energy, even if it was a greatest hits type show. Having not been to an arena show in about 10 years, this one was extra special for me.

It was great to meet Chris and Steve, as well as chat with Mark (again, haha).

Sorry to hear gear got damaged, that fully, and completely, sucks!

I successfully filled up 2 memory cards with pics and videos, hopefully will have them up soon...

:-D

Nick O
Saskatoon 11/18/96, Camrose ARA 7/19/97, Saskatoon 2/27/99, Vegas 8/9/02, SF 8/17/02, SF 8/18/02, SF 10/7/04, Vegas 3/21/07, LA 3/24/07, SF 3/26/07, Saskatoon 7/18/07, Brockville 2/21/08, Kingston 2/23/08, SF 6/13/09, SF 6/14/09, SF 12/10/12, SF 10/2/15, Victoria 7/22/16, Vancouver 7/24/16
WesleyC.
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by WesleyC. »

I had a GREAT time last night. Its been a while since I have experienced a total road trip party like I did yesterday. My wife and I and 8 others partied at the hotel then went to the show. It was a great show, I got tons of pictures and video also. The only problem I had was with the security guard right in front of me. He had a hate on for me. He was eyeballing me over and over and would hassle me if even half my foot was in the isle. I loved P.C. and On the Verge. Really nice to hear them again live. But it seems I am going to have to watch my videos because I cant even remember half the songs that are on the set list.
After the concert we all went back to the hotel and everybody but my wife and I got kicked out at 3:30 am due to the noise being made. Ahhhh well it was fun.
admo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by admo »

Ive been to 4 hip shows sober, and last night i drank a pitcher of beer and a double whiskey at the merchant in 15 minutes then went to the show and it was the best time of my whole life. Pigeon Camera was a solid surprise and when gord mentioned the thing about the guy being put into quinte detention centre me and my buddy scott gave a big cheer for quinte, as its in our hometown
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I took a whole whack of photos - some are okay, some are lousy. Check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095831@N04/
Sorry most of them are of Rob - I was on the right side of the stage. They're backwards as well, from the end of the show to the beginning.

I don't know....I have mixed feelings about the show. I didn't think the sound was that good and I guess I was hoping for more rarities. Pigeon Camera was by far the highlight for me, and it was cool to see Dan Aykroyd come out as well.

Oh well, any Hip show is a great show regardless. This was the second-longest set list I've ever had.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Good stuff. Nice shot of the tapers. Is the jerk who broke the recording gear in any of those pictures?
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

mark wrote:
paulster2626 wrote:I was in the 3rd row, and the woman in front of us got a mic. Her and her boyfriend didn't sing a single lyric - we couldn't figure out why they were there. The other 2 women beside them were actually sitting down during the first encore. I said "who sits down during an encore?!", and they just gave me dirty looks.

OMG!!!!111 real fans are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!111 other people sux0rs!!!!!!!1!!!
All I'm sayin' is its fun when those around you are as into the show as you are. I know I am not the only one who believes this. I'm not saying that certain fans 'deserve' this or that, but after the 1st encore was done, one of these ladies told her friend that she "hopes they're not going to do another". Boo-urns!

Best weekend trip I've had in a long time, though. Great show, great venue, and a great town. Even the people working in the arena were in a good mood. I hope Kingston becomes a regular stop. I already want to go back to Woodenheads - that food was amazing.

10/10 weekend!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

NegPhil wrote:Good stuff. Nice shot of the tapers. Is the jerk who broke the recording gear in any of those pictures?
Where is the pic of the tapers?
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Great Show!

First time hearing 38 years old live and it didn't disappoint, crowd seemed to respond well to it and other classics like Fully and Courage.

Big Highlight for me was the surprise of Pigeon Camera, awesome track.

Hundredth Meridian is always insane live and having Gordie pass out on his mic stand was hilarious.

I hope Family Band becomes a staple since the two times i've seen it live have been incredible!

Also, thanks for postin the vids, always good to recap the night the next day.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Just got back from the show. Top 5 for Norine and I (not so much in order)

- Gordon Downie with tears in his eyes at the end of Fiddlers Green. Gord
Sinclair coming over to console and shake his hand.

- Pigeon Camera and a few other gems

- Dan Aykroyd

- Band sounded great and a suprisingly long set list

- Town of Kingston. Sems like a nice place to live. Nice little pubs and
friendly people.

Just an excellent show.Walked back to the hotel with teemudog. Been blessed to see the band quite a bit over the last year or so. An incredible run of shows.

DC
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Gord Downie seemed visibly shaken at the start of Fiddler's, so much so that I thought it might not get sung, just the band playing the music.