02/23/08: Kingston: Kingston Regional Sports & Entertain

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Tthip wrote:
mookytc wrote:
- Gordon Downie with tears in his eyes at the end of Fiddlers Green. Gord
Sinclair coming over to console and shake his hand.
Wow!
I just watched the video, and with that much heart felt emotion, i have to wonder if this is the last time we will ever hear this song performed live?

Yes when I was video capturing with my camera... I missed this until I read this thread and re-watched the video closely and decided to add it to my review instead of pigeon camera. Gord was emotional for sure!
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

I'm surprised that few seem to regard 38 Years Old as a 'treat'.

I've yet to hear that one in nearly 50 shows! :?
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

I forgot to add, did anyone else think we were going to get a rippin' version of "Voodoo Chile" for a second.??..............
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

cochise wrote:I forgot to add, did anyone else think we were going to get a rippin' version of "Voodoo Chile" for a second.??..............
Rob's been playing the riff from Voodoo Chile before NOIS at quite a few of the shows on the past tour(s). It seems to complement the intro really well. 8)
Marcus1970
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Marcus1970 »

I'm surprised that few seem to regard 38 Years Old as a 'treat'
I just happened to be celebrating my 38th birthday this weekend and was very pleased to hear that gem for the first time in 13 concerts attended.

I liked the way Gord placed his handkerchief over the mic to simulate a megaphone sound when singing "Let's go Michael son, we're taking you home."
chagrinfalls
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chagrinfalls »

the way i listen to the hip is whatever song i'm into i put that song on repeat & play it sunup til sundown day after day for weeks on end. just over & over & over. the miracle of the hip & the reason i still love their music is that no matter how many times I play it, it sounds like a different song each time. something to do with the songs having so many layers or the nuanced way gord sings or ...something.

so what's amazing to me at shows is that somehow despite the fact i've listened to some of those songs thousands of times, gord can step on stage & deliver a completely new rendition. same words as ever, same notes as ever, but he can reveal a layer in the songs I hadn't noticed despite all my listening. & he's done that consistently year after year, delivered the same songs with a different vantage point or meaning each outing. i love that.

this concert was no disappointment in that respect. a moment in hundredth meridian that was completely unexpected for me. a brand new song somehow for a moment. as if the whole cast of characters in the song had shifted.

that's why i go to hear the hip. not because of particular songs i want to hear (altho i wish they played dire wolf more), but because i'm so stoked to see what moments in each song gord will bring to life on stage. some shows i'm just bowled over by how generous & committed he is.

thanks again thompson girl. on account of your extra ticket i got a roadtrip & a great concert. also some video, which if it's vaguely decent i'll post.

oh & re all the people who sit down. i have a herniated disk in my back & that means sometimes just because of pain i have to sit down. you can't always know what's going on for the strangers around you.
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

Ya, Brockville brought me to tears,
a beautiful song nun the less..
I'd love to see the video, where do I find it?

Direct to the person who handed Paul the guitar, I might be able to say who he might be....
I'll help if I can

tina
Tthip wrote:
mookytc wrote:
- Gordon Downie with tears in his eyes at the end of Fiddlers Green. Gord
Sinclair coming over to console and shake his hand.
Wow!
I just watched the video, and with that much heart felt emotion, i have to wonder if this is the last time we will ever hear this song performed live?
birdseyeview
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by birdseyeview »

Here's some random shots of the night if anyone wants to see

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562607987qfnDEp

I only really like the one of Dan and Gord.

Highlights for me....

Gord talks about "courage" basically at the end of every playing but it still cracks me up every time he does it...."Courage, it's back!" The same goes with the different voices he does while saying "My music at work"

My girlfriend didn't know Dan was from Kingston and on the trip in I told her I would love to see Dan Akroyd be there.....until I clued her in on his hometown later on in the show, she seriously thought I was some sort of prophet.

I had only been to one show in Canada before, but it seemed like they have much more fun than when I seen em in the states.

And im basically done seeing shows because the fact that they played my favorite tune, with Dan Akroyd just for me it wont get any better than that.

Overall this site has this whole "fan club" type show stuck in my head so that when they don't play unique material I would like to feel disappointed, however it was still a mighty show. Did anyone else try to get the setlist at the end of the show, because for the first time at a show the security stopped anyone that wasn't in the front row from going up after they we're even off stage....which I was alittle ticked about.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

birdseyeview wrote:Here's some random shots of the night if anyone wants to see

Hey birdseye.......beauty salmon below the Hip pics!!! :thumb: Where abouts were you fishing on that trip??
birdseyeview
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by birdseyeview »

cochise wrote:
birdseyeview wrote:Here's some random shots of the night if anyone wants to see

Hey birdseye.......beauty salmon below the Hip pics!!! :thumb: Where abouts were you fishing on that trip??
HA, thanks man.....besides The Hip, fishing's my other vice.

The Atlantic Salmon we're caught on a tribuatary of the Lake Champlain, the Saranac River. The Mix of steelhead/browns were caught at home off of Lake Ontario Tribs. That's actually how Locked in the trunk became my favorite track. It seemed that everytime I caught a decent fish, that song was playing when I got back into my car. Now it's a habit to pop the Fully Completely album in everytime I get a dandy.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

I was sitting beside those Aussies with the yellow shirt on. Had a good chat with them. They even called their friend back home before the show.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

tina wrote:Ya, Brockville brought me to tears,
a beautiful song nun the less..
I'd love to see the video, where do I find it?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8&hl=en-CA
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Nice to see Gord lost the hat :lol:
chagrinfalls
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

help!!!

Post by chagrinfalls »

i'd like to embed some youtube video from the concert here but it doesn't seem to be working--can anyone tell me what i need to do to embed it?

sorry in advance if there's a forum help area & i missed it.

thanks!!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

just type in the link
The youtube video will appear below it once it is submitted into the thread.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston