02/23/08: Kingston: Kingston Regional Sports & Entertain

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

chris wrote:
NegPhil wrote:Good stuff. Nice shot of the tapers. Is the jerk who broke the recording gear in any of those pictures?
Where is the pic of the tapers?

Page 8

Numbers 114 -119
Bobkajun
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bobkajun »

Thanx for the reviews guys ... what an awesome show that must have been
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

thompson girl wrote:I took a whole whack of photos - some are okay, some are lousy. Check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095831@N04/
Sorry most of them are of Rob - I was on the right side of the stage. They're backwards as well, from the end of the show to the beginning.

I don't know....I have mixed feelings about the show. I didn't think the sound was that good and I guess I was hoping for more rarities. Pigeon Camera was by far the highlight for me, and it was cool to see Dan Aykroyd come out as well.

Oh well, any Hip show is a great show regardless. This was the second-longest set list I've ever had.
Nice pics. I'm the big bald head that shows up in a lot of your pics. My brother was the guy in the blue hat with orange trim. You were probably 2 rows behind if I had to guess. The sound down there wasn't the best and I heard what I thought was a few little burps, but it may have just been me.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

NegPhil wrote:
chris wrote:
NegPhil wrote:Good stuff. Nice shot of the tapers. Is the jerk who broke the recording gear in any of those pictures?
Where is the pic of the tapers?
Page 8

Numbers 114 -119
None of us in any of those pics. Nor the jerk.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Sorry, wrong bald head.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

mookytc wrote:Just got back from the show. Top 5 for Norine and I (not so much in order)

- Gordon Downie with tears in his eyes at the end of Fiddlers Green. Gord
Sinclair coming over to console and shake his hand.

- Pigeon Camera and a few other gems

- Dan Aykroyd

- Band sounded great and a suprisingly long set list

- Town of Kingston. Sems like a nice place to live. Nice little pubs and
friendly people.

Just an excellent show.Walked back to the hotel with teemudog. Been blessed to see the band quite a bit over the last year or so. An incredible run of shows.

DC
One more..Paul all smiles as an older fellow brought him a guitar prior to a song.

DC
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

A full review tomorrow once I get back home, but it was a hell of a night in Kingston. Good to see the old familiar faces.

I guess Mark has an even bigger reason to hate Fireworks now.

Double checking some lyrics tomorrow too from the Wheat Kings outro. Also a nice bit of Tired of Waiting by the Kinks during Little Bones.

As I said, much more to follow.

Cheers,

Pat
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

anyone get video of fiddler's?

i was 7th row centre and somehow i missed all this emotion during fiddlers. i really want to see it
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

mookytc wrote:
mookytc wrote:Just got back from the show. Top 5 for Norine and I (not so much in order)

- Dan Aykroyd

friendly people.

Just an excellent show.Walked back to the hotel with teemudog. Been blessed to see the band quite a bit over the last year or so. An incredible run of shows.

DC
One more..Paul all smiles as an older fellow brought him a guitar prior to a song.

DC
i saw that. kinda looked like him. think it coulda been his dad?
das_hips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by das_hips »

Great show. There was certainly a palpable display of energy and emotion from the band that isn't always present to such a high degree. They seemed relaxed and quite comfortable, which provided a more open and enjoyable experience then what I am used to. Perhaps as close to an intimate concert venue I'll enjoy on this side of the 49th.

It was evident that the band isn't in the midst of a lengthy tour; they weren't nearly as tight as a collective as they have been when I have seen them in the past. Disregarding the somewhat expected tonal gaff any live performance will provide, it was audibly noticeable that there was a serious rhythmic issue during 'New Orleans', and during the intro to 'In View' it appeared as though Rob Baker wasn't too sure how the song actually went. Johnny Fay seemed to lag for some of the earlier songs, but as drummers often do, they prevail, and he played a hell of a show, albeit with some peculiarly placed drum fills.

Pigeon Camera, On The Verge, and Fifty Mission Cap were all pleasant surprises (Especially Pigeon Camera, as I had yet to hear it live in my attendance at 8 Hip shows... I know... I'm rookie material), and I can attest that the sound in the venue is far superior to that of Scotiabank Place, or the Air Canada Centre, and ridiculously better then that of the Ottawa Civic Centre.

The concert was a big deal in Kingston (probably the most demographically fucked up city in Canada), and I'm quite glad I went. It seems a little odd to mime a disappointment in the casual fan's attendance. The band's success can be heavily attributed to their casual fanbase; 30+ singles makes nearly everybody a fan.

And I'm sorry to hear about the vomit incident. It would be rude and insensitive, or entirely appropriate for me to now comment on the beer shortage that occurred. A beer shortage at a Hip concert? Doesn't that generally entice rioting?
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

BDS28 wrote:anyone get video of fiddler's?

i was 7th row centre and somehow i missed all this emotion during fiddlers. i really want to see it
I have a version sitting on my concert review blog http://concertaholics.com as well as a few other goodies inside my review.

jeffro
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

thecompletist wrote:
BDS28 wrote:anyone get video of fiddler's?

I have a version sitting on my concert review blog http://concertaholics.com as well as a few other goodies inside my review.

jeffro
Best Review ever!
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

borgs wrote:
mookytc wrote:

- Dan Aykroyd

friendly people.

DC

DC
i saw that. kinda looked like him. think it coulda been his dad?
I was thinking the same thing. Definitely someone he has a "relationship" with. Good stuff...
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I just put 5 posters up for auction on eBay. Any funds raised will be used to repair the recording gear that a drunken idiot broke at the show.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0218818048
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

mookytc wrote:
Wow!
I just watched the video, and with that much heart felt emotion, i have to wonder if this is the last time we will ever hear this song performed live?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana