07/03/08 - Ottawa, Ontario - Ottawa Blues Festival

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

07/03/08 - Ottawa, Ontario - Ottawa Blues Festival

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 07/03/08 - Ottawa, Ontario - Ottawa Blues Festival

Post by blacksox12 »

Bueller? Bueller?

One day to go till das Hip rock Lebreton Flats in Ottawa. The weather will be great, show will be even better. Looking forward to it!
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

Yeah...that wasn't great. Greatest hits show, the sound was crap and the crowd (at least where we were) was dead. Oh, and Bob Rock showed up.

TV on the radio were ace, though.

In view
music at work
grace, too
lonely end of the rink
it's a good life
ahead by a century
giftshop
courage
wheat kings
poets
springtime in vienna
bobcaygeon
fireworks
fully completely
family band
new orleans is sinking
---
yer not the ocean (w. Bob Rock on guitar)
Queen Bitch (I think) (w. Bob Rock on guitar)
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

The show started out with great energy, but kinda got rough about 4 songs in and didn't ever make it out.
Good show for a first timer, but I'd put this as one of the weakest shows I've seen. Over the past few years i've really missed Gordie's 'rants' or dialogue he used to mix in with the songs. Overall the sound was really poor, and the band just didn't seem tight, Bobby's guitar chops were definitely not par. No real crowd problems for us though, we were about ten feet from the stage and everyone was having a good time. Also, I think the encore was probably the weakest I've ever seen them play.

Anyways, even the Hip's worst is still the hardest working, most kickass rocking band on the planet, so i'm still gonna sleep soundly with Family Band ringing in my head :D
Last edited by Cpt. Trips on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

SRK wrote:Yeah...that wasn't great. Greatest hits show, the sound was crap
After being spoiled with amazing seats last three shows, and the Brockville theatre, decided it was not worth the struggle to get near the front. We stayed about 30 feet behind the SBD, and sound there was very good...in fact really good.

It was about the show I expected playing for a huge crowd (was amazed by the # of people). There were some nice semi-extended jam intros, Gord was animated, and they looked like they were having fun. If you're a casual fan you likely walked away happy. After seeing them numerous times over the past 18 months, made me look forward to new material and a new tour. I wonder if the encore maybe got cut short? Sort of funny that with the greatest hits, no little bones or blow.

What is it with people trying to talk oncellphones during a show? And the text message on the video screens is a bit annoying...found it hard at times to stop reading...I could not avert my eyes....Did really enjoy the set-up for Bluesfest, and looking forward to the rest of the acts.
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

3rd show i've been to in '08 and probably the most enjoyable one of the 3... (Mainly because I had a good view of the show the full way through... As mentioned though, the encore was disappointing)

The setlist was nothing special (aside from Springtime in Vienna as I love that tune) I was recording it and all was going well until a pile of girls started pushing and shoving and trying to make their way up from the "4th & 5th row" to the front... completely ruined the video I was making so that made me kinda pissy...

The crowd I was standing in/around was actually fairly well behaved for an out-door Hip concert... Wasn't really an insane amount of pushing and shoving and actually had a decent amount of room to feel comfortable for a fair bit of the show. (Was standing in the "3rd row" directly in front of Rob which was nice as I enjoy watching him play Family Band)

I found the sound to actually be quite good personally, but i'm not one to dwell on the sound of a show (I guess I just haven't heard The Hip sounding that bad yet) The band who was on before The Hip however, well their sound was a whole other story... I recall looking at my buddy and wondering what the hell was being said or what they were playing

As for talking on cell phones during concerts... I can't say i've seen too many people do it, but i've done it myself... I don't really call anyone to talk to them, but i'll call my little brother to let him hear a song or two if they play something I know he likes. (He does the same for me) Surprisingly enough the sound is quite clear through the phone and you don't notice too much background noise. (This would all depend on the phone though... I know the Ericsson w300i is quite good for this, but the w580i is terrible.)

Overall I came away from this show quite happy. I thought the set-up inside of the Bluesfest gates was well done too. Everything seemed to be very easily accessible (at least from the time I got there around 7pm until I went to wait up near the stage for The Hip @ 8pm...

Looking forward to the next show that comes up within a couple hours drive ;)
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

I guarantee that I am in your video as I was originally front row center in front of Gord S/Rob but as the girls came I decided to back off...I was the huge guy in the red shirt and white hat. Hopefully I made your video, or worst case scenario I introduced myself to you. I had a great time down in front with a really raucous/sometimes rambunctious crowd.

Met with the guys after the show and had a good time catching up with them...some great stories were told of the new album.

In a perfect world I would have heard Escape but beggars can't be choosers...14 shows and still no Escape....one of these days...

I had the pleasure of meeting a hell of a nice guy originally from Ottawa but attending Queens U now...I think his name was James...I'm really bad with names so if you read this and it isn't James, please don't think less of me (as I told him about our site), I'm just terrible when it comes to names and this kind of thing. We were both right up front for the entire show except he managed to keep his front row position while I seemed to get squeezed back...good for him for holding his ground. He is a relatively new fan with his first show going back to the RMC show from a few years ago and he has seen a number of great gigs since then, including the Fort York shows. I hope that he signs up to our community and makes himself known as I know he would be a great addition.

Overall, twas a good ol' time...definitely goes into the vault in a special place!!
Last edited by robert goulet on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTH700FT
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by TTH700FT »

Back from the show now, actually just finished eating some pizza and now I am nearly officially ready for bed, of course, after writing a brief post.

Highlights: Set-up inside the gates were great, but outside was quite a hassle waiting for tickets if you did not already have them. A friend of mine waited 45 some odd minutes before he got in. Luckily he found us about 10 rows back, Paul's side about 20 minutes prior to kick off. Ok, for me, crowd was great, no serious pushing and shoving, particularly given how close up we were. Only a couple of boneheads crowd surfing, one of which the guy in front of us threw him to the ground when he came near his head. As for the sound, personally, and along with all of my friends, we all thought that for an outdoor venue the sound was pretty damn sweet, so no complaints there. Ok, the setlist was generic indeed, but you had to know that was to be expected, particularly given a big one-offer like this. Of course would have liked to seen one, maybe two newbies, but after checking out the past few setlists online, did not really expect any. I just chalk it up to the fact that they're not quite ready/confident to rip any new tunes out quite yet, though I'm sure they're close.

The band was tight, not perfect, but tight considering they're currently in studio. I'm just happy they decided to make a stop into O-Town this summer, was my 25th show after all, so a special one. Also great because we had a Hip virgin who was with us as well. He was more pumped about getting up close for Snoop on Sunday as he is not really a die hard of this type of music, but walked away quite pleased and surprised, really referring to the energy, Gord as always, in particular.

Gord was energetic as always, not a lot of ranting, if any, but let's just say, I think he went through a suitcase of hankerchiefs, which I'm not sure I've seen him do that before, must have been about 15 or so. Also, broke 2, maybe 3 stands, gave them all alway. I was very close to actually picking up his guitar pick from the ground as it landed 2 feet in front of me, but was a little late. Great toss though Gord.

Props up to the band, great show boys!!! Glad you could make it into Ottawa this summer. Looking forward to the new album, Christmas cannot come soon enough.

PS Highlight for me, the encore, though short, with Bob Rock joining the boys. Pretty nice gesture I thought.

Ok, off to bed, if I think of anything else, I'll write tomorrow.

Peace out,
KBALL!
das_hips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by das_hips »

Good show. The crowd seemed to be far more subdued than the Bluesfest's of the past. Not to say that they were less passionate; there was plenty of screaming, plenty of singing, and plenty of fist pumping, but there was certainly less moshing, and crowd surfing. My plea of "Julia", my hypothetical wife impregnated with triplets allowed me and my party to gain nearly front-row stage.

I can say without hesitation that I approve of the new location (Lebreton fair grounds, as opposed to Ottawa City Hall). Same traffic, less walking distance to the Little Italy collection of bar's. For those of you who aren't privy to the Bluesfest, it's a great time, and while this is a Hip-related discussion board, there are still ten nights of good music left.

I saw some familiar Downie antics, but some new as well. Without having been to a Hip show since the K-Rock shindig, is it now common for Gord to throw countless (maybe 16) sweat consuming napkins into the crowd?

Also, what was the last song they played at the end of their encore? It was new to me, and I know every Hip song. I'm assuming it was new, or a cover I've never heard (Queen Bitch has been mentioned)

Bob Rock was a surprise.

Matt May's was also quite good. I was already a fan, but I'm keen on their new album.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

robert goulet wrote: Met with the guys after the show and had a good time catching up with them...some great stories were told of the new album.
Could you expand a little on that?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
canes67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by canes67 »

I recognized the last song from the movie The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Its a Bowie tune.

It was great to see the Hip at Bluesfest, Matt Mays as well. It was a greatest hits show for sure, but we had a great time. We were back a long way from the stage as we missed the start due to work, but thought the sound was great. Can't wait for the new album.
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

A couple cents:

Great new venue for Bluesfest. Figured it would be a short set, since by-law is 11:00pm ( I think I heard Gord thank the city at the end for letting them play 1 more).

Sound was great. Giant screens were handy for us folk in the back. Weather terrific. No mosquitos. I hate large outdoor venues with tons of people, but this was set up really well. First time I ever see outdoor urinals. Band was in fine form....they looked rested actually. They looked to be having fun.

Everytime I see the Hip I'm reminded as to why I keep going back.
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by blacksox12 »

Had a great time at my 14th show last night. Got there a little late, but was able to make my way right up beside the soundboard and I thought the sound was fantastic. If you aren't going to be front row, then I think the next best place to be is right next to the soundboard. Had a great view of the stage. Crowd was in good spirits, but not rowdy. Loved the big screen but like edgoffin said, those scrolling text messages were a distraction.

As far as the setlist, it was pretty much what I expected given what they had done in previous shows lately. A solid, but not spectacular setlist. I always enjoy a Hip show and this was no different. As for the encore, I was very pleased to hear Queen Bitch. I knew the show would be cut short though - freaking city bylaws and noise ordinance laws!!! Would have loved to have seem them keep going, but...

Thought Gord and the boys were in good form. Agree with the other baser's that I have never GDgo through so many hankies. As for the mic stands, that seems to be the new schtick. Thought it was funny that when he would break them he would wrap an end in a hankie and hand it off to a fan as he told them that it's sharp.

Awesome night in all. The new venue is fantastic. Great to get a Hip concert in as we head into the summer and await the new disc this fall.

Cheers,

Sean
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Ah, God bless Sun Media:

"Wearing the same black suit and plaid shirt he's been sporting on this latest tour to promote their new record World Container, Downie was particularly delirious as he strutted and convulsed across the stage like a showstopping master of ceremonies during the opening tunes Yer Not the Ocean, My Music at Work, Grace Too and The Drop Off."

I think Denis Armstrong's the same guy who once referred to "Baba O'Riley" as "Teenage Wasteland" in a Pearl Jam review. Gotta love it!
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »