07/26/08 - Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

07/26/08 - Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 07/26/08 - Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival

Post by Flamenco »

I'm not going to this show ... I'd like to be ... but I bet the Tragically Hip are totally stoked to be playing before Tom Petty and his band. Very cool indeed!
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

So whos all going? I'll be lined up Camping day Thursday!
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Me lady and I picked up single day tickets for Saturday. I'm bummed we can't go for the entire event but my "old lady" has a business meeting in Chicago on Friday. :cry:

I may have two extra Saturday tickets. I'll post them on the ticket exchange Monday July 14 if I need to sell them. I'll give them to a Hipbaser at the discounted price of $100(US) per ticket. Normal I would just give them away as "miracle tickets" but at $150.00 plus tax and service charges I just can't do it.

Oh man, I'm starting to get excited for the show. This will be my first Hip show in Canada.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

Rite on Phil, are you doing any boozing? if so, I'll buy you 1 or 2....
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

:thumb:
Drinks it is!!

I am excited for this show. Reports are 40,000 campers plus who knows how many locals and day trippers. Speaking of day trippers, the festival has plans to set up special "quite time" tents for all the people who freak out on acid and mushrooms. :shock:

I have read it will be the biggest festival in Canadian history. Some are already comparing it to Woodstock.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

NegPhil wrote: the festival has plans to set up special "quite time" tents for all the people who freak out on acid and mushrooms. :shock:
Damn hippies!!!
Remi_Gaudet21
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Remi_Gaudet21 »

Ahhhhhh!! Damn living in the Maritimes!! haha
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

NegPhil wrote::thumb:
Drinks it is!!

I am excited for this show. Reports are 40,000 campers plus who knows how many locals and day trippers. Speaking of day trippers, the festival has plans to set up special "quite time" tents for all the people who freak out on acid and mushrooms. :shock:

I have read it will be the biggest festival in Canadian history. Some are already comparing it to Woodstock.
I can't recall acutal number but Edenfest several years ago might have tipped the scales.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Spycouple scored the two free tickets I gave away. I'm suprised he was the only person to throw his name into the hat but the dude totally deserves them.

Spycouple shot those cool one takes of the Moore show and Redmond last year so lets hope he's up for it again. It would be a shame not to have this baby on tape. Any other tapers going?

Watching the new MAv vid the other day I started giggling like a school girl every time they mentioned Pemberton. I hope they bust out a new song or three. It seems like the perfect opportunity to road test some new material before they head to Bobs place for the final vocals and mix.

1 day 4 hours 6 minuets until it they party starts. :jump :jump :jump
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Our Gords, who art in Canada, Hip be thy name.
Thy set list come, in Pemberton, Please play It can't be Nashville every night.
Forgive me my blaspheme, but honest I have to be, because the song means so much to me. We'll have fun with Petty and the Flaming lips, plus 40,000 fans of the Hip, but avoid the portable toilets because they stink like.... manure.

See ya'll in Pemberton!!!
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

NegPhil wrote:Our Gords, who art in Canada, Hip be thy name.
Thy set list come, in Pemberton, Please play It can't be Nashville every night.
Forgive me my blaspheme, but honest I have to be, because the song means so much to me. We'll have fun with Petty and the Flaming lips, plus 40,000 fans of the Hip, but avoid the portable toilets because they stink like.... manure.

See ya'll in Pemberton!!!

Amen. (I'm not going :cry: )
BrenTheodore
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BrenTheodore »

And we await the good news.... :jump
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Just found this online. It's short on details, but it doesn't sound like any new songs were unveiled in Pemberton...

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 25a8723e80
Pemberton mini-review: The Tragically Hip
Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, July 26, 2008
There are few things more quintessentially Canadian than the cryptic rock sounds of the Tragically Hip mixed with the smell of sweat and beer in the air, and a remote outdoor setting.

By the time the Canadian rock icons took to the main stage Saturday around 6 p.m., it looked as though nearly all of the 40,000 people on the festival grounds had crawled out of their tents, shaken off the effects of the night before and were ready to get back at it. The Hip may well have attracted the biggest crowd so far at this event.

Frontman Gord Downie was drenched in sweat by the third tune, as the sun re-emerged from behind the clouds and people stripped off their jackets and sweatshirts.The Kingston boys were clearly out to make the most of their 60 minutes on stage, playing a series of crowd favourites from their older albums, with a minimal selection from the newer World Container.

Among the crowd-pleasers were Grace Too, Ahead by a Century, and the rousing Hip classic, Courage -- which had people crowd surfing and fist-pumping with frenzied energy.

Downie was up to his usual theatrics, acting like a monkey and putting a white handkerchief over his eyes as he pretended to drive blind (please don't ask me what that's all about).

Even if it was confounding, it was intriguing to watch and a joy to listen to.

There's no denying the Hip's songs have become a staple soundtrack for Canadian summer nights spent in the great outdoors. Even if you've never been a fan, chances are someone in the next cabin or campground has been blaring the Hip's guitar rock late into the night.
© Vancouver Sun
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

I am so rattled that nobody has reviewed this show yet! I need to live vicariously through all of you...