AceFTP - help!!!

Looking to set up a trade, tree or a B&P?

Moderator: Moderators

grooveless touque
Wheat King
Wheat King

AceFTP - help!!!

Post by grooveless touque »

Well, this is a strange one...I downloaded AceFTP earlier today and have been using it to download from thehundredthmeridian.com. However, it disconnected me and now I'm trying to get back in - but when I enter "hip" as both the login and the password, it won't let me. Believe it or not, here's what I see:

USER hip
331 Password required for hip.
PASS *****
530 Login incorrect.

Why does the PASS field have 5 figures?! I clearly entered a three-letter password (hip), not FIVE!
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

it puts any number of stars by default, no matter now long the password.

as for getting in....
http://forum.hipbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1422
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

I emailed JJ about this a while ago. It just means that the max # of users are logged in already. Just set up your program to retry every 3 or 5 minutes or so. You will get in eventually. You basically "lost" your place in line.
grooveless touque
Wheat King
Wheat King

Thanks very much, guys - I didn't realise 5 stars was the default for the password thing. I thought something was getting screwed up and inputting 5 letters instead of 3 for the password.

I did actually get back in, after I tried again an hour later. Happy ending...I was just confused by the # of stars in the password field, thinking they represented letters.
grooveless touque
Wheat King
Wheat King

By the way...something's been bugging me: every now and then my transfers from the FTP go up to 45 k/s...but most of the time they hang aorund 10-15 k/s. Sometimes even down to near-dialup speeds, 4 or 5 k/s!! Does this simply mean many people are downloading from the FTP at once and so the individual bandwidth quota is reduced?

Or is there something I can do to speed things up?
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

yes. say his max upload was 50k/sec and there were 5 users. each would get 10k/sec.