mini disc

Looking to set up a trade, tree or a B&P?

Moderator: Moderators

TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

mini disc

Post by TLB »

does a mini disc have an internal mic
or do you have to use a separate mic & stand?

any suggestions on the best MD player/recorders?

thx
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

You have to use a separate mic!! Most people suggest a mic and battery box for live concert recordings, as for the best, opinions vary I have a sony, most people prefer sharps for live recordings. A good site is www.minidiscussion.com Good Luck
MKawaii
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MKawaii »

If you're looking for some relatively inexpensive mics that get good sound, you might want to try Core Sound:

http://www.core-sound.com/

Their low-cost stealth mics give great sound for their size and price, IMO. I've got a set of the carioids (w/low sensitivity, because I'm using a Sony MZR-70 MD) and am wonderfully happy with them. A friend of mine has a set of the binaurals (non- low sen) and she's gotten good results with those as well (though the binaurals dont seem as good for small venues, because from what I've heard you tend to pick up more crowd noise and echos with them). :wink:

As for a stand- they're highly recommended unless you're going to stealth. Depending on the situation, you should have one that'll get your mics between 8 and 15 feet off the ground so as to be clear of the crowd (so nobody can scream into your mics!). Stands tend to run $50-$200 depending on the size.

With MDs, preferences seem to vary, depending on your price range. Personally, I'm a poor college student so I went with a budget set-up (my Sony MZR-70 was about $100 and my mics were $95). The newer models of Sony MDs seem to be running $200-300, depending on how fancy you wanna go. A friend of mine swears by Sharp MDs, and is on her second now. The Sharps seem to have more bells and whistles but I cant really say any more on them, as I've never used one. Maybe some other tapers here can comment?
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

You can also try sound professionals, I taped buffalo and syracuse, and will tape toronto wwith them, great mics the Omnis, reasonably priced.
MKawaii
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MKawaii »

Wohoo! Ok, I finally got around to ordering myself a new mic stand, and found a nice site for taper supplies, if anyone's looking for equipment and whatnot-
http://www.micsupply.com

They've got the best prices on manfrotto stands I've found online, and they ship same/next day. My stand should be arriving here tomorrow or thursday, in plenty of time to tape our boys here on sunday! WOO! :D
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

How much does it cost to get setup with recording equipment?
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

A few hundred dollars, depending on your equipment, generally peopl say sharp mini discs are the best, but I use a sony md707 around 250-300 depends on if you catch it on sale. And mics are another 100 and change, I use sound professionals omnis with bass roll off filter and have had good luck, alot of people ise core sound binaurals as well, PM me if you have more questions!