09/09/09: Centennial Concert Hall: Winnipeg, MB

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

09/09/09: Centennial Concert Hall: Winnipeg, MB

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 09/09/09: Centennial Concert Hall: Winnipeg, MB

Post by Graham »

I'll text live updates for this to someone. Just let me know who to send to!
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

09/09/09 Baby! I'll be enjoying the show with the rest of the Peg Basers! Let's all holler out a "Hipbase.com" at exactly 9:09 PM?!
laliber
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by laliber »

leaving work early (St. Peter wouldn't mind).... 5 hours until show time :jump
metallihip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by metallihip »

SETLIST WOW!!!!!!

1. New Orleans is Sinking
2. The Depression Suite
3. Twist My Arm
4. "It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken"
5. It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
6. Morning Moon
7. Poets
8. Pigeon Camera
9. Honey, Please
10. Fully Completely
11. Love is A First

----Intermission-----

1. Courage (A)
2. Coffee Girl (A)
3. Fiddler's Green (A)
4. Gift Shop
5. Ahead by a Century
6. In View
7. Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
8. Now the Struggle Has A Name
9. Nautical Disaster
10. Queen of the Furrows
11. Three Pistols
12. Locked in the Trunk of A Car

Encore

Frozen in My Tracks
Blow at High Dough
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

Set list:

New Orleans

Depression Suite

Twist

Good Life

Nashville

Morning Moon

Poets

Pigeon

Honey, Please

Fully

Love is a First

INT

Courage (ac)

Coffee Girl (ac)

Fiddlers (ac)

ABAC

View

Escape

Struggle

Nautical

Queen

Pistols

Encore:
Frozen

Blow

Comments to follow....
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

This was my 11th Hip show and also the best. Gordie was , as always, in prime form. There was a devise in the front of Johnny’s drum kit (I was at the show with a drummer and he said it would make the bass feel like your heart pumping) and by about the 4th tune he was right!!!

The crowd was totally in the show the entire night, even for the new stuff which was great to see. Gordie kind of slagged the Monday night crowd, he said they could not decide whether to sit or stand – we stood the whole show even through the acoustical numbers.

Opened with NO and like many, I feel I have heard it enough…but once it started I was all in. I think it is a better opener than Depression. Depression was second and well received and it came across superb live.

Twist my Arm , Good Life were well received as expected – they are classics. Nashville got a solid response as well and there was no drop in energy for the crowd.

Morning Moon – this is where I was surprised at the crowd somewhat singing along (my daughter’s favorite so she enjoyed it).

Poets – classic, high energy

Pigeon – one of my fav’s and I cannot recall if I have ever heard it live, the ending was extended and was incredible.

Honey, Please – again, crowd was huge into it surprisingly as they are not always for the newer tunes.

Fully – this was hilarious, Gordie forgot the words so he started rambling about ‘being lost and ended up talking about being in love with a “Synonym girl..not a cinnamon girl..” Then “back to the 2nd verse boys”. At the end of the song he said ‘sometimes you can practice too muh, you should just feel it”

Love is a First – he changed the second rant to like a rap rant. Huge energy again.

As per usual these days, Gordie was using all kinds of hankies, throwing them in the crown and a guy at the side throws him another.

Courage – I love the acoustic version, it really came off great.

Coffee Girl – my friend’s fav so she was pleased!

Fiddlers – classic, got to hear it last time they were in town.

I loved the concept of the acoustical numbers, they could do an entire set of them, it would be fine.

Gift Shop – a perfect lead in from the acoustics as the beginning is that slow, developing sound.

ABAC – again, the extended version, awesome. Especially when Robbie single hand strums his guitar.

View – crowd loves doing the 1,2,3

Escape – great to hear, I think I have only heard it one other time.

Struggle – strong song, like all the new ones they really come out great live.

Nautical – my fav and a classic

Queen – that Robbie guitar sound is wicked.

Pistols – HUGE energy

Locked – Gordie started out by laying on the speakers singing with the hankie over his face…sang quite a bit of the song like that.

Frozen – Gordie had the audience do the ‘whoa’ part and this song was LOUD! The drum sequence at the end is quite complex and Johnnie was all over it. Actually, most of the new stuff seems to have some wicked drum bits and he was nailing them.

Blow – classic ender and like Monday, Gordie came right into the audience, almost right beside us. I have a pic from my Blackberry, I will try and upload it.

FANTASTIC show. What a band….
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

Gordie pic, in the crowd during Blow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graham
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Graham »

Holy #$&*(%&(#$ what a setlist.

Love the Gordie Moonwalk thing during Twist My Arm? Also I hope somebody has video of tonight's Fully. And Gordie let out a scream during Locked that even Dave Grohl would give a nod to.

The only part that kind of sucked was that the balcony folks were not into standing. Also broke my heart when people were using Honey Please as a beer song. Also...kudos to the folks in front of Paul. They were really dancing it up pretty hard and Gord graced them with a lot of attention. And hankys.

I waited for the guys after the show....lol Johnny is a funny guy...anyway somebody asked Gordie about what they were planning for tomorrow's show, to which of course Gordie didn't have much of an answer...but he did say something like "we'll see where this going into the crowd thing goes. You know, those seats are tricky....there's a lot of room for error."

Bloody hell still can't believe I witnessed Pigeon Camera!

Here's to tomorrow's and Friday's shows. May the merch table not run out of posters, and may the band delight me with The Bear, Throwing Off Glass, Save the Planet, Inch an Hour!
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

metallihip wrote:SETLIST WOW!!!!!!

1. New Orleans is Sinking
2. The Depression Suite
3. Twist My Arm
4. "It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken"
5. It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
6. Morning Moon
7. Poets
8. Pigeon Camera
9. Honey, Please
10. Fully Completely
11. Love is A First

----Intermission-----

1. Courage (A)
2. Coffee Girl (A)
3. Fiddler's Green (A)
4. Gift Shop
5. Ahead by a Century
6. In View
7. Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
8. Now the Struggle Has A Name
9. Nautical Disaster
10. Queen of the Furrows
11. Three Pistols
12. Locked in the Trunk of A Car

Encore

Frozen in My Tracks
Blow at High Dough
Damb it that is a rocking set list. Hope 10/3 in Hamilton is just as good! :jump
nautical
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nautical »

Looks like one of the best setlists of the tour so far. I hope 9/14 or 9/17 in Edmonton produces one or two setlists as good as this (and one with Inch an Hour, PLEASE! 18 shows and still no Inch!).
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Post by Shane Kroeker »

Great reviews so far guys! I'll throw in my comments and concert experience to add to the mix:
I was in third row dead center, by far the best seats I have ever been in for any concert (Hip or Not). This was great for making eye contact with all of the band members while singing along to every song in the set. I appreciated how everyone in front of me was standing, adding to the excellent atmosphere of the concert. One note to make was that it was LOUD. The first three songs were extremely loud. After that, it seemed like the band played a lot tighter, and the sound mix was tweaked to find a perfect groove.
I talked to some people after the first set, and they said that they could go home now and be completely satisfied. This show was that good.
The setlist: All throughout the concert I thought to myself - "Sean Bonner would have really enjoyed this setlist!" - With Pigeon Camera, Nashville, and Struggle making appearances.
Special moments: I loved how Gord forgot the words to Fully Completely. As I have heard the song live before, I didn't mind him changing things up a bit. You could tell he was scrambling and thinking to himself what kind of rant he should fill to the Fully jam. He selected the "Synonym Girl" Rant, and it went over very well! Quite a special treat indeed.
To introduce Fiddler's Green acoustic, Gord said: "This song is called Sailor Heaven". The performance blew me away, gave me chills, and touched me deeply.
Locked in the Trunk of a Car was incredible. Being my all time favourite song, and never seen it performed live before was a special treat. Downie acted as though he was tied up in a burlap sack, and knocked for some one to let him out!!!
Blow at High Dough: That was the longest version of the song I had ever heard (A bunch of songs had extended jams, which was a great surprise). The crowd was in a frenzy over Blow. Then it all happened so quickly: Gord jumped off stage, leaned into the crowd and got some front rowers to sing BLOW!! He then proceeded to come directly at me, leaned on my shoulder for support and pointed the mic into my face. I was stunned, shocked, and didn't know what to do besides blurt out: "BLOW!!!" Intense! He then proceed to make his way to about the 11th row and let others yell out(probably about 20 people in total). I had to help feed the microphone cable, to give him slack to get deeper into the crowd!
The goods: Midway through the first set, Gord booted an unused white handkerchief up into the crowd, I extended my arm and snatched the thing right out of the air, and stuffed it into my pocket!
At the end the show, I stuck around to see if I could snag a setlist. Billy Ray was cleaning them up and giving them to fans. He picked up Johnny's setlist and walked my way and tossed it into the crowd. Unfortunately there was a row 2er that was directly in front of me who got the setlist. After he inspected his goods, he realized/thought that he had received two setlists. He then turned around and gave me one! I gave him a pat on the back and offered my thanks. It turns out that he gave me the first half of the setlist, and he kept the last half. Had he known that he had the whole show, he probably wouldn't have given it to me.
It appears that fate was with me that day. What a great concert. What a great experience. The Hip made many lifetime fans at the 09/09/09 show in Winnipeg.
laliber
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by laliber »

Not much more to add - the show was F-in amazing from start to finish and in between - the hip got the house on its feet with NOIS and we did not sit back down for the rest of the night - going into the crowd durning blow has been cool to watch esp. with the whole place up on its feet handclaps to the air - :thumb:

8 hours until Sherpa and Thugs
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

That is a great setlist. Really well mixed. The reviews sound great as well. Look forward to the States.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

If I'm not too mistaken Goodlife hasn't been played nearly as extensively this tour as it has in the past. I know I missed it this time around, lucky you guys!