06/27/09: Wiarton Airfield: Wiarton, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 06/27/09: Wiarton Airfield: Wiarton, ON

Post by ashtrayrock »

chris wrote: Setlist
01: Love Is A First
02: In View
03: Gift Shop
04: Ahead By A Century
05: Morning Moon ("This is the second best song we ever wrote")
06: Springtime In Vienna
07: The Depression Suite
08: Yer Not The Ocean
09: Poets
10: Wheat Kings (Acoustic)
11: Coffee Girl (Acoustic)
12: Courage (Acoustic)
13: The Last Recluse
14: Grace, Too
15: Bobcaygeon
16: Fully Completely
17: Now The Struggle Has A Name
18: My Music At Work
19: New Orleans Is Sinking
Encore:
20: Frozen In My Tracks
21: Blow At High Dough
overall a great can-rock experience
shuttle buses wasn't the perfect option(in and out) but i could only imagine that for a car parking area big enough to hold 5000 cars i still think shuttle was the best option.
came in after 4pm and heard the spades...went around grabbed food(lots of options and decent prices)
came up front and center(in front of sbd) and watched/listened to the arkells...gord s and johnny were side stage for that show and as the first time seeing them i was very pleased. i had heard they were good but i didn't expect them to be "that good". amazing set! great energy.
tried to get water....and i don't do well with 1/2 hour+ lines...ate some popsicles instead
got up front, off to the right, for sam roberts...as always his show is amazing. not to be missed. love dave nugentx10.
got more popsicles cause the line up for water was longer than a 1/2 hour...HELLO ORGANIZERS...you have 15000+ people there in the hot sun all day and you make water an impossible task...grrrrr
basically im glad they do what they do for the beer tent(same as belleville) cause really really drunk hip fans are the WORST kind....hey i like to drink too, but...and because of the trouble getting into the beer tent the crowd was really well behaved for the most part which made the show better(imo)
the hip's set was pretty much expected, due to the crowd(lotssa casual fans)
sooo glad for the last recluse and courage acoustic
always a great show when both fully completely and grace too are played in the same set and it even nicer only have 1 song in between those 2 killers
im still not 100% convinced on frozen

gord was totally on fire(again)...singing spot on, dancin & hip shaking a++, pretending to throw the mic stand into the audience but then dropping it behind his back on the followthrough empty toss. gord went down in front and had 1 dude strum the ending cord to 1 song(i think it was bob c) and then he went down into the crowd again for blow...something he doesn't do very often

HUGE kudos to the band for pulling together an all canadian day/nite. 4 great bands for $50 which is a steal, imo
but also kudos to the band for detailing as much as they could to make the event a success...im sure they had/have something to do with arranging a nonprofit charity to run the buses(habitat for humanity)...buses which dropped you off and picked you up at the front door of the gig, all the way to camping in sauble or hotel in owen sound! also im pretty sure they make the beer garden a trouble to get into on purpose(with beer limits)...never made the beer tent in belleville or wairton and didnt miss it...certainly i would never miss seeing sam roberts up close just to get beer...besides lining up an hour to get beer is just silly. being completely sober for the hip show
wasn't such a bad thing

the show brought lots of money to the local community
hardly any opp inside the venue
zero troubles in my area
people smoking outside is ok in my books

so glad it didn't rain :)
JT_Stone
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by JT_Stone »

Mr. Lahey wrote:
hotmetal401 wrote:
JT_Stone wrote:How is the "Evening With" working out in the outdoors?

It doesn't. No break. Four less songs.

Pat

I expected this because it wasn't an Evening With... show. Because it was part of a festival I expected the same format as last years Big Music Fest. I figured a 25 song show with an intermission would be too long as well, with the Hip likely coming on around 9 instead of 8.
25 song set with an intermission would be too long, for what? the fans to enjoy, the band to play, people to stay awake for?

In the only hockey arena show played thus far (Kingston) the boys followed the evening with format to the T and it went over just as well if not better than the 3000 person theaters they have been playing in.
trglyhip
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by trglyhip »

This was my 41st time seeing the Hip, even though this is my first time on this board! The show was incredible! After being to 2 of the theatre shows on this tour, I was interested to see what they would do when they were outdoors for a festival. Being at this show reminded me once again what an incredible album "We are the Same" is. Depression Suite will end up being one of the live staples!

This show was also special for me since I work for the radio station that put it on and I got to intro my favourite band and sing O Canada with 15,000 people. Something I will never forget
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

trglyhip wrote:This was my 41st time seeing the Hip, even though this is my first time on this board! The show was incredible! After being to 2 of the theatre shows on this tour, I was interested to see what they would do when they were outdoors for a festival. Being at this show reminded me once again what an incredible album "We are the Same" is. Depression Suite will end up being one of the live staples!

This show was also special for me since I work for the radio station that put it on and I got to intro my favourite band and sing O Canada with 15,000 people. Something I will never forget
Welcome!

And I can only imagine what a thrill that must have been for you.
metronome
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by metronome »

ikky99 wrote:
hotmetal401 wrote:Update one : spades close set with first verse of Get Back Again
WHAT? Seriously? You're joking right? :rambo:
That would be awesome. The Spades are an incredible band. I don't know why they haven't had a radio hit yet.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

From the Hipstory Project:

"The Last Recluse"
Mother of three, haven't had a beer in three years, but got drunk for the Hip. Didn't grow up around here, so when most people are singing along to songs they grew up with I just watch and get along. But this song I mentioned above just rocked my heart. So intensely beautifully tragic. "What will I do without you?" And, Gord's painting on the canvas which is the audience!! Awesome. Truly wicked.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

by Tthip on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:44 pm

From the Hipstory Project:

"The Last Recluse"
Mother of three, haven't had a beer in three years, but got drunk for the Hip. Didn't grow up around here, so when most people are singing along to songs they grew up with I just watch and get along. But this song I mentioned above just rocked my heart. So intensely beautifully tragic. "What will I do without you?" And, Gord's painting on the canvas which is the audience!! Awesome. Truly wicked.
Thanks for the post! Those words are tragically rantworthy.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
pprusha
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by pprusha »

The Wiarton gestapo sounds about on par with the Victoria gestapo, along with the beer rules and wait times.

A suggestion for Higgins: to avoid people fainting from heat exhaustion and dehydration, why not tack on a buck or two to the ticket price, and hand out bottled water to people as they're coming in. And for beer/wine, set up a website that sells concession tickets for these items, so cashiers don't have to deal with bank cards, credit cards, and cash, which just waste precious time and precious songs. Designate a few lines to ticket holders, other lines to cash/credit/debit. That way real fans can enjoy the show with a couple beers and not miss a song. I know i was pissed off in Victoria missing an acoustic Courage because of the stupid beer lines and limits (2 per person, i unknowingly bought 3 and had to refunded, missing the start of Thompson Girl).

Just my two cents, but really, if you're organizing an event and event planning is your 'specialty', your 'calling in life', wouldn't you take the needs of the paying ticket-holders into consideration? Wouldn't you perhaps brainstorm a few possibilities that could make things far more efficient? After all, we're paying your salary. Do a better job. And let us enjoy the shows we pay for.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I thought that I'd already posted this to the tracker but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks to "ashtrayrock" for sending me the recording.... and without further ado

A new torrent has been uploaded.

Name: TTH: 2009-06-27 - Wiarton, ON
Size: 706.70 MB
Category: SHN/FLAC: Concerts
Uploaded by: chrisk

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27Jun09 The Tragically Hip
Wiarton Airfield - Wiarton, ON

Recording:
Sony ECM-719 > Sony MZ-N710 Mini-disc

Transfer:
Mini-disc > Computer > CD > AIFF

Conversion:
Individual tracks cut up using Fission
WAV MD5 checksum created using xACT 1.64
FLAC Files created using xACT 1.64
FLAC Fingerprint created using xACT 1.64
FLAC MD5 checksum created using xACT 1.64

Recorded/Transferred/Encoded by: The Unknown Taper

Freq.: 44.1 kHz
Bitrate: 16-bits
Time: 1:36:16 hours

Notes:
* - acoustic

Setlist:

First Set
01: Love Is A First
02: In View
03: Gift Shop
04: Ahead By A Century
05: Morning Moon
06: Springtime In Vienna
07: The Depression Suite
08: Yer Not The Ocean
09: Poets
10: Wheat Kings (Acoustic)
11: Coffee Girl (Acoustic)
12: Courage (Acoustic)
13: The Last Recluse
14: Grace, Too
15: Bobcaygeon
16: Fully Completely
17: Now The Struggle Has A Name
18: My Music At Work
19: New Orleans Is Sinking

Encore:
20: Frozen In My Tracks
21: Blow At High Dough

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the URL below to download the torrent (you may have to login).

http://www.thehiptracker.com/details.php?id=336&hit=1

--
The Hip Tracker