06/27/09: Wiarton Airfield: Wiarton, ON

Been to a show? Going to a show? Enjoy the show!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

06/27/09: Wiarton Airfield: Wiarton, ON

Post by sean.bonner »

Post your review.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 06/27/09: Wiarton Airfield: Wiarton, ON

Post by ashtrayrock »

anyone know of any local camping, walking distance to the venue?

i'm thinking about this show. thanks
coldlakeswimmer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by coldlakeswimmer »

My cottage is 10 mins away. Wouldn't miss this show for anything, I am super stoked. PM me if you need a spot to camp.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

pm sent!!

here's the website link for all the details
http://www.bigmusicfest.com/wiarton/

SHUTTLE INFORMATION - Big Music Fest 2009 @ Wiarton

Habitat for Humanity Wiarton is the official supplier of Big Music Fest shuttle service:
Round trip travel: $15.00

Tickets can be purchased at the following shuttle pick up locations.
Sauble Beach: Zone 2 3:00 /3:30/4:00/4:30 every 1/2 until 7:00
Sauble Beach Community Centre
Sauble Falls Provincial Park
Sabule Beach Tent & Trailer Park
Lobbies Bar & Grill 3:00/4:30
North Sauble Sands Campgrounds
White Sands Campgrounds
Hepworth Public School 3:30/4:30/5:30

Owen Sound: Zone 1 2:30/3:00/3:30 every 1/2 until 7:00 First 600 riders
Bayshore Community Centre
Heritage Place Shopping Centre near Kelseys

Wiarton: Zone 3 3:00 every 15 mintues
Wiarton Arena Kiss n' Ride
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

coldlakeswimmer wrote:My cottage is 10 mins away. Wouldn't miss this show for anything, I am super stoked. PM me if you need a spot to camp.
nice gesture on your part....good on ya :thumb:

I'd be riding up for the day for this , but we have a cottage rented for a week starting this day...up close
to Bancroft
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

does anyone know if this is a 2 set show? like the theatre shows? or just one main set with encores?
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Has anyone seen a schedule for the show? I'm guessing the order will be something like this. My guess at times is below but has anyone seen anything confirmed yet?

The Spades 3:30 - 4:15
Arkells 4:30 - 5:30
Sam Roberts Band - 6 - 7:30
The Tragically Hip 8 - 10pm
38Mike
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by 38Mike »

Hey, anyone doin a live setlist party for this show? It's been so long since I've had one, (since I live on the east coast and the last bunch of shows have been west coast shows, and I have to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to see the setlists).

Plus I'm very interested to see what they are gonna play in a festival type setting.

p.s. Would also be crazy awesome :thumb: if someone posted the Arkells and Sam Roberts sets! I'm so jealous I'm not seeing this amazing show :(

EDIT: Oh yeah and it's also the last show until I see them, July 2nd St. John's!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Damn, that's a hell of a lineup. Looks like it'll be a killer show all around!

:thumb:
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

The Spades 3:30 - 4:15
Arkells 4:30 - 5:30
Sam Roberts Band - 6 - 7:30
The Tragically Hip 8 - 10pm
Web site http://www.bigmusicfest.com/tickets.html states the show ends at approx. 10:45pm.

I can text the set list to someone if they are willing to post it here.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

http://www.wiartonecho.com/ArticleDispl ... ?e=1627531

WIARTON ECHO
Town gearing up for the Hip

With the expectation of 15,000 fans for the Tragically Hip concert at the Wiarton Keppel Airport this Saturday, a lot of the town is taking a wait and see attitude.

The town has never had so many people converging in one spot before and the question is "will they all end up in town or will they come straight to the festival and and then leave."

A quick poll of some downtown businesses found that while they are going to make sure they have enough staff on hand, they didn't go ahead and order a lot of extra stock either.

This Saturday, the Big Music Fest concert at the airport will feature the Tragically Hip, Sam Roberts Band, Arkells and the Spade and producer Mark Higgins said it was going to be a tightly controlled, heavily policed event.

With 70 security staff, along with more than 50 OPP officers, a ban on hard liquor, security searches at the venue's only public entrance and beer and wine limits in the 5,000-seat beer garden, the focus will be on music, Higgins said Saturday.

He plans to make this the first of 10 Big Music Fest events over the next decade -- watch for Our Lady Peace to headline next year -- and with his Georgian Bluffs and Wiarton Airport board partners is intent on laying a solid, worry-free foundation.

"It's about as safe as anything I've ever seen, which is a good thing," Higgins said. "If it's not safe, it doesn't matter if you have Aerosmith or the Hip or anything, you're not going back right? Because people talk about that."

Georgian Bluffs Deputy-mayor Dwight Burley, who chairs the airport board, said after "many, many meetings" he is "100 per cent" certain every detail is in place for a safe show.

There's no parking on any roads near the site and municipal officials are discouraging large groups of campers on any public or private lands nearby. Lawn chairs and umbrellas will also be banned from the site, with fans sitting on blankets or sleeping bags or the grass to enjoy the show safely.

The site includes food and drink concessions. Once inside, anyone who leaves won't be allowed back in.

There's a new gate off Con. 1, with both a new road across the airport property and a walkway now under construction. The parking area has room for 5,000 cars at $10 each, which goes to the airport board.

Whether it will have an economic spin-off is not being debated as already most campsites and motels were reportedly full because of the concert and other area businesses will be part of the vending group offered at the concert.

Following is some pertinent information from the Big Music Fest website http://www.bigmusicfest.com.

Gates to the Concert Bowl opens at 3 p.m.

Parking

Gates to the Parking area open at 1:00pm

Parking is available at the concert site for $10.00

All vehicle access to the concert parking is off of Concession Road 21 only

The main entrance to the Wiarton Airport will be closed to the public the day of the concert. There are no in/out privileges or re-entry to the parking area.

Have what you need when you enter the parking lot.

Do's and donT’s:

Do bring…

A smile

Raingear

Bug Spray (ideally w/out deet)

Blanket for seating

Sunscreen

Hat for shade

Bandana for dust

Sunglasses

Earplugs (especially for minors)

Camera

Government issued photo ID if you plan to enter the Beer Garden

Video or audio equipment. (The hip are a taper-friendly band. Any gear you bring is your responsibility, so please keep an eye on it. Light mic stands will be permitted)

Cigarette Smokers, bring an empty plastic bottle or sealable plastic container for your cigarette butts. Please take responsibility for your own waste.

Do not bring

Umbrellas

Lawn Chairs

Coolers

Outside Food and Drink

Illegal Substances

Weapons

Fireworks

Pets (except for service animals)

Professional Photography Equipment Bag searches will be performed at all entrances.

Any items not permitted will have to be returned to your vehicle.

No Camping is permitted at the concert grounds or the on-site parking area.

There are several designated campgrounds in the area.

On site services

Vendors will be on site serving food, snacks, water and beverages.

There will be a beer garden (restricted to those 19+).

The site will have several ATM’s. To avoid line-ups bring in the cash you think you will require for the day.

Merchandise Tents selling Artist items will be onsite.

Medical Services

Portable Toilets with wash stations
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Hey all,

Sorry for disappearing. It's been a bit of a busy work month (with a nice NXNE detour). Will be at Wiarton - covering it for the Echo and the Shoreline (the Port Elgin paper I work for). Should be getting back into it all by the end of next week though.

Will be posting live setlists for Sam and the Hip, service permitting. Port Elgin recently entered the world of 3G, so I hope it made it up to the airfield as well. Hip set may be delayed about 15 minutes at the start, if I end up getting my photo pit passes,but will be fairly on target the rest of the way.

It's a beautiful day in the county - and if they play Let's Stay Engaged, I'm moving to Korea :)

Cheers,

Pat
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Update one : spades close set with first verse of Get Back Again
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Okay. Internet connection is too slow. It's taken me five minutes to try to post this message. Updates being texted to Twitter.com/patrickbales. Hope someone can follow and update the board.
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Sam Roberts Band set from http://twitter.com/patrickbales...

love at the end of the world
intro-> good people
fixed to ruin. (80th time openning for The Hip)
Detroit 67
hard road
up sister
them kids
bridge to nowhere "let's keep the peace"
b-down
bullett
mind flood

#samrobertsband incredible - hip next
Last edited by sullivand on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.